Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I almost crashed... Driving down the highway doing about 65-70 on my way to class traffic was moving normally then all of a started slowing down fast. My accord did not respond the way I would expect; it took forever to stop and it wasn't even an emergency stop. My mirrors were fogged so I didn't have the choice of crossing lanes to avoid hitting the car in front of me. Luckily I was able to downshift (mT) and use my brakes to avoid a crash but it was close enough. I was not tailgating or driving spirited. A few days later and yesterday I noticed that my brakes are not responding the way they used to, they would stop on a dime and now they're not. I checked the pads and they have a PLENTY of life left. Pads and rotors were replaced last year with slotted rear rotors. Any input on this? I have to add that I have a leaking driver side axle, and a leaking oil pan gasket that I haven't got to yet. I don't know much about mechanics but the basic things I do myself. Could my brakes just be dirty? Any cleaning tips.

·
Registered
804 Posts
When was the last time you had your brake fluid flushed? LAST YEAR i had my 05 v6 brake fluid completely replaced.. It was worth every penny!!

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
So much can go wrong....
1) How old is the brake fluid?
2) Any pulsing or pulling to either side either when you brake or immediately after you let off the brake pedal?
3) How old are the front brakes? (year and mileage)
4) Are the pads on the rear made of the same material as the pads on the front? (all ceramic pads or all semi-metallic)
5) You said pads and rotors were replaced last year with slotted REAR rotors....you mean you ONLY did the rear?
6) Does the pedal go all the way to the floor?
7) Is your mpg the same? Or are you getting fewer mpg?

A lack of lubrication can cause brakes "with plenty of pad material remaining" from operating properly- so can sticky calipers, really dirty brake fluid, water in the fluid, air in the brake lines...

Remember that the front brakes handle most of the braking duty....

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
When was the last time you had your brake fluid flushed? LAST YEAR i had my 05 v6 brake fluid completely replaced.. It was worth every penny!!
+1 I bleed my brake fluid into a clear plastic bottle for recycling to Advance Auto. Even after one year, the color difference between new and "old" is stunning. Brake fluid is hygroscopic- which means it will attract water almost as fast as ethanol will.

The good book says to change it every two years- regardless of mileage. And that means a complete flush- not just a turkey baster to remove what you can quickly get to in the master cylinder reservoir- but to actually bleed each individual brake caliper.

FYI: I spent a day two weeks ago driving Porsches around a track at Arlington Race Track's parking lot. Some of those MASSIVE brake calipers had 4 nipples on EACH caliper. That is some serious work.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Is there brake fluid in the reservoir?

Is the brake feel firm or spongy? If you push on the brakes and hold hard, it should not drop all the way to the floor. If so, there is a leak somewhere.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Is there brake fluid in the reservoir?

Is the brake feel firm or spongy? If you push on the brakes and hold hard, it should not drop all the way to the floor. If so, there is a leak somewhere.
And by "leak", Drew means not just brake fluid dripping onto your driveway, but brake fluid "leaking" past the brake master cylinder's seal so that you do NOT get the braking power you once had. When that happens, you won't notice drips on your driveway as the fluid simply leaks past the seal and stays in the brake line or reservoir.

When seals in the brake master cylinder go (and it happens) the only way to fix it is to replace it.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
And by "leak", Drew means not just brake fluid dripping onto your driveway, but brake fluid "leaking" past the brake master cylinder's seal so that you do NOT get the braking power you once had. When that happens, you won't notice drips on your driveway as the fluid simply leaks past the seal and stays in the brake line or reservoir.

When seals in the brake master cylinder go (and it happens) the only way to fix it is to replace it.
Years ago I was sitting at a red light, about to get on the freeway in my Infiniti. I felt a gentle 'pop' in the brake pedal and my foot sank all the way to the floor. Turned out that one of the rubber brake lines that connect to the front caliper had popped. Had it happened on the freeway, it would have been a different story. I got steel-braided brake lines all around after that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Last week I almost crashed... Driving down the highway doing about 65-70 on my way to class traffic was moving normally then all of a started slowing down fast. My accord did not respond the way I would expect; it took forever to stop and it wasn't even an emergency stop. My mirrors were fogged so I didn't have the choice of crossing lanes to avoid hitting the car in front of me. Luckily I was able to downshift (mT) and use my brakes to avoid a crash but it was close enough. I was not tailgating or driving spirited. A few days later and yesterday I noticed that my brakes are not responding the way they used to, they would stop on a dime and now they're not. I checked the pads and they have a PLENTY of life left. Pads and rotors were replaced last year with slotted rear rotors. Any input on this? I have to add that I have a leaking driver side axle, and a leaking oil pan gasket that I haven't got to yet. I don't know much about mechanics but the basic things I do myself. Could my brakes just be dirty? Any cleaning tips.
I hope you got it fixed by now or you are risking your life in that car. It is likely that your brake system did not produce the necessary pressure to the calipers. A few things to check:

- Is the brake fluid level good? Top it off if it is low.
- What is the color of the fluid? If it is dark, flush it but make sure you don't introduce air into the brake system.
- Is the brake pedal firm or spongy? If it is spongy, it is possible that your brake fluid has air in it, leaking or bad master cylinder.
- Is there any brake fluid leaking at the brake calipers or master cylinder?

It is not easy to diagnose your problem without visual inspections. You probably want to bring it to a service shop to have it check out. They will likely tell you what is wrong with it before you can decide if you can fix it yourself.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
The OP has not posted since his original question....perhaps the bad brakes did him in?

·
Banned
694 Posts
Could be a bad pad compound, bad brake fluid...but he may have a bad seal in the master cylinder. I've seen seals get blown out by people who forget to remove the reservoir cap on the master cylinder while compressing the caliper pistons.

Just throwing that out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts