Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case someone is interested in these brands....

I changed my rotors to Centric rotors and went with Akebono ceramic brake pads and I'm very happy with the results.

I purchased both on Amazon.

One thing that was VERY important is removing the oil from the rotor's surface via Brake Cleaner.

I forgot to do it and my brakes felt mushy. My friend quickly realized I hadn't cleaned the rotors and we took the tires off and cleaned the rotors after they cooled.

Hope this helps.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,459 Posts
In case someone is interested in these brands....

I changed my rotors to Centric rotors and went with Akebono ceramic brake pads and I'm very happy with the results.

I purchased both on Amazon.

One thing that was VERY important is removing the oil from the rotor's surface via Brake Cleaner.

I forgot to do it and my brakes felt mushy. My friend quickly realized I hadn't cleaned the rotors and we took the tires off and cleaned the rotors after they cooled.

Hope this helps.
You're lucky the car stopped with the coating still on the rotors (not smart). Hopefully the stuff didn't contaminate the pads too much.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I'd imagine a few hard 60-10 stops will remove any lingering grease that may have been on the rotors. When in doubt, re-bed the brakes. Seems to work everytime. Unless you have no more pad material left.

·
1,926 Posts
Akebono and Centric make good stuff. Did you go with the ProAct or Performance pads? I just replaced my fronts with the ProActs (from Amazon) and Brembo rotors I picked up at the local NAPA.

For those who say every rotor seems to be made in China these days, my Brembos were made in Italy.

If you can plan ahead, I recommend buying brake parts form Amazon. Far cheaper than any other place I've used.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Akebono and Centric make good stuff. Did you go with the ProAct or Performance pads? I just replaced my fronts with the ProActs (from Amazon) and Brembo rotors I picked up at the local NAPA.

For those who say every rotor seems to be made in China these days, my Brembos were made in Italy.

If you can plan ahead, I recommend buying brake parts form Amazon. Far cheaper than any other place I've used.
Akebono ACT914 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set

I'd imagine a few hard 60-10 stops will remove any lingering grease that may have been on the rotors. When in doubt, re-bed the brakes. Seems to work everytime. Unless you have no more pad material left.
I did some 40mph to zero moderate stops and it felt mushy. My friend got in the car and did the same and agreed, then that's when he asked about the oil removal.

The brakes went from mushy to very good after the cleaning. I took the wheels off and let the rotors cool. Then I sprayed the rotors with the brake cleaner that I purchased and intended to do in the first place.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried that and it was still bad. I had to let them cool and then spray with brake cleaner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts