Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just signed up, just got a new Accord 2.0T in white. Only had it about a week so far (150 miles as of day), and I noticed I already had some brown spots kicked up on the rear bumper from my wheels. I thought it was just dirt, but as I was trying to wash it away yesterday, it seems like they did fade off a little, but the spots still remain, and they're very noticeable. Tried running my finger on them to see if it was just really stuck on dirt, but cannot feel anything to grab, and my nail isn't scraping any of it off. I bought a bottle of Turtle Wax Bug/Tar remover and tried that today, and that didn't work either.

My question is, does anyone know any other options to try cleaning the stains off? Is it possible that my clearcoat is now stained somehow? Defective paint/clear coat on the bumper?

I'm even more curious if anyone else who has the platinum white pearl model has run into this same issue, where splashes are not cleaning off very well.

I've attached pictures of one of the rear bumpers to show the spots. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That looks like tire shine applied by the dealer mixed with brake dust and flung off the tire and stained the paint.

I've also noticed that bugs and birds easily leave yellow/orange/brown stains that don't wash off on my Platinum White Pearl paint. Fortunately, these stains seem to disappear on their own in the hot sun during the week between hand washes.

I'd notify the dealer right away so it's on record then hope it fades away on its own. If not, I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try some rubbing compound and a microfiber towel. If that doesn't work it may be a defect in the paint and I'd take it to the dealer.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,880 Posts
Agree ^^^ see the dealer. I can recommend 3M Clear Bra once you get it cleaned up. It deflects road rash, bird droppings, rock chips etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke to the dealer, they said it was tree sap baked into the clear coat. They offered to schedule an appointment to try to buff it out, or send out the car to get the bumper repainted. The car only has 200 miles on it, but I wouldn't think I'd need to get it repainted so soon. Anyone ever have similar brown spots on a car due to tree sap? If so, I'd love to hear if there are any solutions to that, or if it's just permanently fused to the clear coat now.

I tried a claybar earlier, didn't really work. Might give it some more soaks with the bug/tar remover from Turtle Wax, but I don't know if that will help much.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Tree sap? Inside the wheel wells??

Did someone drive it through a farm over a bunch of felled Christmas trees while chasing Rudolph???

I hate to point out the obvious, but tree sap falls from trees onto mostly horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk) - not sideways or from below onto the bottoms of fenders or inside wheel wells.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tree sap? Inside the wheel wells??

Did someone drive it through a farm over a bunch of felled Christmas trees while chasing Rudolph???

I hate to point out the obvious, but tree sap falls from trees onto mostly horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk) - not sideways or from below onto
the bottoms of fenders or inside wheel wells.
Lo! Isn’t it great to know Honda hires tree experts in order to problem solve these situations? No wonder why I paid a premium for my Accord!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, it's a strange thing to claim since only the rear wheels seemingly rolled into whatever it is. I barely have any (if any) spots behind the front wheels. However, I don't find any other ideas as to what it could be, since bug/tar remover didn't fix it, I can't scrape it off with my nail, and it is definitely embedded into the clear coat since no other options have worked so far, clay bar included. I don't think tire wet turns brown, unless the wheels were really dirty, but that would surely take more than a week or two to justify that idea. So, I have no other ideas as to what it could be that splashed on, and then stained the clear coat.

·
Rush fan
876 Posts
If it really is tree sap (which I highly doubt), then some Goo Gone will remove it. Anyway, try some Goo Gone. Let it soak for a minute or so before wiping it off. But if you already tried rubbing compound and it didn't come off, then the imperfection has etched into the paint. If so, then wetsanding with 2000 grit and then buffing/polishing would be the only option short of a repaint.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Spoke to the dealer, they said it was tree sap baked into the clear coat. They offered to schedule an appointment to try to buff it out, or send out the car to get the bumper repainted. The car only has 200 miles on it, but I wouldn't think I'd need to get it repainted so soon. Anyone ever have similar brown spots on a car due to tree sap? If so, I'd love to hear if there are any solutions to that, or if it's just permanently fused to the clear coat now.

I tried a claybar earlier, didn't really work. Might give it some more soaks with the bug/tar remover from Turtle Wax, but I don't know if that will help much.
So, it's been over three months since your last post. What did you have done or did you decide to live with it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here with pearl white 2019 1.5 Sport. Had a lot of rail dust too, dealer outsourced to European detailer to remove that, which they did, but the stains behind the rear tires did not come off. It’s definitely under the clear. They offered to color sand and buff, but I declined as I didn’t want to strip away the clear. I decided to live with it, as I would rather keep the factory paint vs repaint, but am very disappointed.

Here’s a photo

Attachments

·
Yea I modded my car again
1,225 Posts
isopropyl works typically and a microfiber towel you could also try claybar it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So here is what I think happened. When I took delivery, the dealer had tire dressing on the car, so much so that it looked wet. I drove the car for several weeks before it rained and I think the rain washed off the tire shine along with tire bloom from the new tires and it stained the paint. I have tried everything, including rubbing compound to no avail. There is no way I am going to let them repaint the car. I can only hope that it fades over time. To minimize the potential of it happening again, I installed paint protection film behind each wheel. FWIW, I researched several forums and another potential culprit is Polydimethyl Siloxane found in most tire shines (I use a water based shine and make sure I wipe it down very well before driving). Apparently the Polydimethyl Siloxane combines with tire bloom to form a new compound that could possibly stain paint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts