Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed mention of "break in oil" in at least one other thread, something that I thought disappeared 20 years ago.

So is the mix currently sitting in my sump a special blend and one that needs to stay there until the MM hits zero?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I noticed mention of "break in oil" in at least one other thread, something that I thought disappeared 20 years ago.

So is the mix currently sitting in my sump a special blend and one that needs to stay there until the MM hits zero?

Any advice appreciated.

My salesguy said that it was, and not to change it until the 15% wrench comes up. I'm changing it now as we speak at 9,910mi.

Jay

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I don't think that Honda uses 'break in' oil.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I was told the same thing on my Acura TSX by the service dept. I wouldn't replace it earlier, and besides it's a waste of money and natural resources to do it before the MM says so.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Honda Tech Recommendation

Change the break-in oil at 4500 miles. This allows plenty of time for the moly-rich factory fill oil to help seat the piston rings, and removes metal shavings from the new engine.

·
4,339 Posts
I did my first oil changed today dumping the factory fill. The oil smelled funny to me, very acrid odor. Like an electrical fire almost. Hard to describe but I have never smelled oil like this. It makes me think it has additives in it.

Jay

·
Elvira
3,442 Posts
I did my first oil changed today dumping the factory fill. The oil smelled funny to me, very acrid odor. Like an electrical fire almost. Hard to describe but I have never smelled oil like this. It makes me think it has additives in it.

Jay
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!:thmsup:

I thought I smelled the oil as an acrid burnt smell myself. 7000 miles on it and ready to change. Others I asked to describe the smell was met with a wry smile of derision. Maybe my snooter is more sensitive.:dunno:

Now I don't feel paranoid about the smell.

Miker

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The break-in oil has molybdenum in it and it is not recommended that you change it early. And IIRC from my aircraft maintenance days, Moly B does have a peculiar smell, and it is a heavy metal, so don't be drinking the break-in oil:)

·
4,339 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!:thmsup:

I thought I smelled the oil as an acrid burnt smell myself. 7000 miles on it and ready to change. Others I asked to describe the smell was met with a wry smile of derision. Maybe my snooter is more sensitive.:dunno:

Now I don't feel paranoid about the smell.

Miker
It was pretty strong. I saw starting to think something was wrong with the engine.

Jay

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Jay
Of course API SN rated oil has additives in it. Why would you think otherwise?

·
4,339 Posts
Of course API SN rated oil has additives in it. Why would you think otherwise?
Read what I wrote again. Keep reading it until you figure it out.

Jay

·
Banned
784 Posts
Where is that Silver Eagle (Hair) moderator? This thread is getting old very fast and should move to Fluid Dynamics ASAP before it blows a lot of hot air.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

Any advice appreciated.
It did....disappear decades ago. Once fact...now an old wives tale. Ignore it all and do what you prefer.

Where is that Silver Eagle (Hair) moderator? This thread is getting old very fast and should move to Fluid Dynamics ASAP before it blows a lot of hot air.
Yeah...six and a half hours of discussion is a lot to put up with.....:headbash:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all been lurking for awhile but decided to register today,nice forum :)
As for the oil,there is nothing special about it,what your smelling is the metal and the engine assy lube that has either burned off or got mixed with the oil during break in.I work at the assy plant (not the Accord plant) and its just regular dyno oil.

I also never follow the % meter,im old school and replace my oil every 3000 miles/5000kms with the first one done at 1000 miles/1600km. I buy a new car,truck or motorcycle every few years and have always done it this way and never had any engine related issues,again this is my preferance only.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hi all been lurking for awhile but decided to register today,nice forum :)
As for the oil,there is nothing special about it,what your smelling is the metal and the engine assy lube that has either burned off or got mixed with the oil during break in.I work at the assy plant (not the Accord plant) and its just regular dyno oil.

I also never follow the % meter,im old school and replace my oil every 3000 miles/5000kms with the first one done at 1000 miles/1600km. I buy a new car,truck or motorcycle every few years and have always done it this way and never had any engine related issues,again this is my preferance only.
No oil company in the USA makes 0W-20 "regular dyno oil." Only 0W-20 oil is semi-synthetic blend and full synthetic.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,005 Posts
I don't think that Honda uses 'break in' oil.
It did....disappear decades ago. Once fact...now an old wives tale. Ignore it all and do what you prefer.
As for the oil, there is nothing special about it, what your smelling is the metal and the engine assy lube that has either burned off or got mixed with the oil during break in.I work at the assy plant (not the Accord plant) and its just regular dyno oil.
Are you sure?

From http://owners.honda.com/help/faqs:

Q: Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

A: Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

Seems like "an oil that is specially formulated for new engines" and "special oil" = break in oil to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Again theres nothing "special" about the oil.The lawyers make the mfg's write that stuff,just like they tell you to take it easy on the motor for awhile.Every car that leaves the plant has been run HARD on a dyno,then the boys who load them up on the rail cars,then you got the teenagers at the dealership who beat on them etc etc I have seen it first hand!

And as far as the whole semi sync oil goes,I belive the industry standard is you can have as little as 15%(if not lower) sync in it to label it as a semi sync oil

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,005 Posts
^ Are you absolutely sure?

From http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-7-urban-legends-about-motor-oil.html

5. When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process.

There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts