Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Las Vegas!

We're here with Lil Red at the 2013 SEMA show and I've had a lot of inquiries about the Brembo brake kit on the car, so I thought I'd post up a few photos and provide some information for everyone.

To my knowledge, the only 9th gen Accords currently with this kit are the MAD Industries sedan in Honda's booth and my very own Lil Red. The sedan was used for prototyping, and I was able to score the first available kit.

2013+ Accord Sedan/Coupe Brembo Front Big Brake Kit
Part #1P1.8521A
365x29 2-piece disc
Drilled rotor
Monobloc 4-piston caliper
Available in black, yellow, red, silver and GT-R
Custom painting available for extra charge
Kit comes with Goodridge steel braided lines

Retail price for GT kit: $3,295
Retail price for GT-R kit: $7,395

My car has the GT kit with calipers custom painted to match the San Marino Red of my car. Below are some photos for those who missed the update in my build thread. I can explain the difference between the GT and the GT-R kit for those interested, but basically, if you are not tracking the car, there is no need for the GT-R kit.

I have not been able to drive the car much except for the bedding period since we had a deadline to get the car to Vegas. Once I am home, I will be able to provide more realistic information as to how these brakes improve daily (and more spirited) driving habits. There are no rear kits available from Brembo, though there is really no need since the majority of braking is done with the fronts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hand over the car and no one will get hurt! :D

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
Hello from Las Vegas!
Retail price for GT kit: $3,295
Retail price for GT-R kit: $7,395
Yikes, more than I though. Are Brembo's typically this pricey? Anyone know how much you can knock off a kit if you shop around?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yikes, more than I though. Are Brembo's typically this pricey? Anyone know how much you can knock off a kit if you shop around?
Yes, they are this pricey. One reason why I haven't pulled the trigger for my other cars, yet. You can certainly get the kit for less than retail, but don't expect to see much of a discount.

·
CVT
514 Posts
$3k? nevermind.. i guess i wont be getting brembos :wavebye:

don't mean to threadjack, but does anyone know if the TL Type-S's brembos will fit our cars? just out of curiosity because i know a few who did the conversion to their 8th gen civics..

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Looks great! Fills out the big wheels nicely. Although I wish Brembo would make something for the rear as well. The tiny rear brakes will look even more tiny and unsymmetrical with the bigger front brakes :( Thanks for being the pioneer as always, pilotbear :)

Reactions: jaserjaser

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you know if purchasing is done directly from Brembo or from other online retailers?
Find yourself a dealer, that's the best bet. Our shop is a retailer, so if there is enough interest, I can see about becoming an approved vendor on the site. It's definitely pricey, but you get what you pay for. Not trying to knock other manufacturers by any means, but Brembo makes an incredible product and their service is top notch. Just putting information out there for people who have asked.

Regarding the rears, yes it would be nice if they would make something, but it just won't happen. I did EBCs and Red Stuff pads on mine. The rotors and pads for the 2012 work just fine on our cars.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pilotbear, I was thinking about the EBC ultimax slotted rotors and redstuff pads for the front and rear of our Accord vs. the big brake kit. What is your opinion of EBC products? Your vehicle is looking fantastic BTW.

·
HA-420
709 Posts
Find yourself a dealer, that's the best bet. Our shop is a retailer, so if there is enough interest, I can see about becoming an approved vendor on the site. It's definitely pricey, but you get what you pay for. Not trying to knock other manufacturers by any means, but Brembo makes an incredible product and their service is top notch. Just putting information out there for people who have asked.

Regarding the rears, yes it would be nice if they would make something, but it just won't happen. I did EBCs and Red Stuff pads on mine. The rotors and pads for the 2012 work just fine on our cars.
Is it just the rears that you can use 8th gen rotors and pads on the 9th gen?

·
2013 Sport
201 Posts
Does this require any modifications other than the calipers and rotors? I imagine the calipers are compatible with any properly sized rotors. You could probably save a signiciant chunk of money buying just the calipers and then buying 1 peice rotors on the side. Do you have part numbers for the rotors? I had a G6 prior to my Accord and people were snagging up Cobalt SS Brembo Calipers on ebay for ~500-700 for a pair from totalled cars. If there are other vehicles that use this same Caliper, people could get lucky and go that route. If someone has over 3k to drop on a brake setup on an Accord....they're probably not driving an Accord.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Indeed they are, mainly for the name. Fantastic quality though.

Also, that kit looks freakin' awesome and tasty choice in color!

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Your car looks exquisite...I appreciate all of the "minor" tweaks you have done to make your car look so unique without having to get a gawdy body kit or the like...

One question/concern of mine with these front wheel only kits (from a stylistic point of view): do the rear rotors match the front rotor or do they have a different style of venting or are they solid? Obviously you can paint the rear caliper to match the front but that venting design does not look like something I've seen available for OEM replacement brakes.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Wow, awesome looking car...I really like it. Sadly, my wallet wouldn't like those Brembos too much, though...as much as I wouldn't mind having them myself!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pilotbear, I was thinking about the EBC ultimax slotted rotors and redstuff pads for the front and rear of our Accord vs. the big brake kit. What is your opinion of EBC products? Your vehicle is looking fantastic BTW.
We have EBCs on my husband's 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and so far, so good. They make a solid product for a reasonable price that is a nice upgrade from factory. We are running the slotted Ultimax with the Blue Stuff on his car. If you can't pull the trigger on a big brake kit, they are a nice solution.

Is it just the rears that you can use 8th gen rotors and pads on the 9th gen?
According to EBC's site, they list "2008+" so I would assume that the fronts would fit. I just took a chance and tried it since they didn't have any specific applications listed for our cars. Obviously I didn't buy anything for the fronts because I have the Brembos.

Does this require any modifications other than the calipers and rotors? I imagine the calipers are compatible with any properly sized rotors. You could probably save a signiciant chunk of money buying just the calipers and then buying 1 peice rotors on the side. Do you have part numbers for the rotors? I had a G6 prior to my Accord and people were snagging up Cobalt SS Brembo Calipers on ebay for ~500-700 for a pair from totalled cars. If there are other vehicles that use this same Caliper, people could get lucky and go that route. If someone has over 3k to drop on a brake setup on an Accord....they're probably not driving an Accord.
Brembo made the brackets specifically for the car. We did remove the dust shield because the rotor is much larger than factory. I am not familiar with the sizes of other big brake kits (specifically Stoptech), but there may not be many rotors being made for these cars that are this size.

You're talking about a completely different application with the Cobalt/G6. Not to mention that the bulk of the money is in the caliper itself. I am not familiar with any other applications that are compatible at this point, which is the whole reason why Brembo needed a vehicle to build brackets that are specific to their rotor. Take GM for instance...they came to Brembo to build calipers but wanted to use their rotors. Well, GMs rotors ended up being a problem.

I would not recommend purchasing calipers and doing your own rotor application. These are meant to work hand in hand, and likely, Brembo will not warranty a caliper if their rotor was not used in conjunction. As far as dropping 3K on a set of brakes, to each their own. For me, it's worth it. For others, not so much. But frankly I have seen "crappier" cars than Accords running Brembos.

Your car looks exquisite...I appreciate all of the "minor" tweaks you have done to make your car look so unique without having to get a gawdy body kit or the like...

One question/concern of mine with these front wheel only kits (from a stylistic point of view): do the rear rotors match the front rotor or do they have a different style of venting or are they solid? Obviously you can paint the rear caliper to match the front but that venting design does not look like something I've seen available for OEM replacement brakes.
Thank you! :)

I'm sure there are other companies in process or that have made brakes for these cars, but I haven't seen anything that fully matches the drilled pattern of the Brembos. I didn't do too much digging, though, because I knew I wanted to use a reputable company for the rears. The EBCs I got are dimpled and slotted. We actually swapped sides to make the pattern run the same way as Brembos, after making sure this was not going to affect the integrity of the rotors. To make the EBCs match to the Brembos better, I taped off the rotor hat and painted it high heat gloss black. Also, used the high heat flat black on the outside of the pads so I didn't have clashing red colors. I ended up painting the rear calipers the same color as the car, also, to complete the look. For me, it works.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
I think it looks good, you definitely took the time to straighten out the little things that make it look much more similar, nice job.

I do see your rear has the same problem as my front and rear on my 7.5 gen with Acura A-spec 18's...the brakes look so tiny...

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
KSport makes a rear rotor upgrade kit consisting of a bracket to move the factory caliper, and a larger 2-piece rear rotor to somewhat match the front upgrade.

·
2013 Sport
201 Posts
We have EBCs on my husband's 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and so far, so good. They make a solid product for a reasonable price that is a nice upgrade from factory. We are running the slotted Ultimax with the Blue Stuff on his car. If you can't pull the trigger on a big brake kit, they are a nice solution.

According to EBC's site, they list "2008+" so I would assume that the fronts would fit. I just took a chance and tried it since they didn't have any specific applications listed for our cars. Obviously I didn't buy anything for the fronts because I have the Brembos.

Brembo made the brackets specifically for the car. We did remove the dust shield because the rotor is much larger than factory. I am not familiar with the sizes of other big brake kits (specifically Stoptech), but there may not be many rotors being made for these cars that are this size.

You're talking about a completely different application with the Cobalt/G6. Not to mention that the bulk of the money is in the caliper itself. I am not familiar with any other applications that are compatible at this point, which is the whole reason why Brembo needed a vehicle to build brackets that are specific to their rotor. Take GM for instance...they came to Brembo to build calipers but wanted to use their rotors. Well, GMs rotors ended up being a problem.

I would not recommend purchasing calipers and doing your own rotor application. These are meant to work hand in hand, and likely, Brembo will not warranty a caliper if their rotor was not used in conjunction. As far as dropping 3K on a set of brakes, to each their own. For me, it's worth it. For others, not so much. But frankly I have seen "crappier" cars than Accords running Brembos.

Thank you! :)

I'm sure there are other companies in process or that have made brakes for these cars, but I haven't seen anything that fully matches the drilled pattern of the Brembos. I didn't do too much digging, though, because I knew I wanted to use a reputable company for the rears. The EBCs I got are dimpled and slotted. We actually swapped sides to make the pattern run the same way as Brembos, after making sure this was not going to affect the integrity of the rotors. To make the EBCs match to the Brembos better, I taped off the rotor hat and painted it high heat gloss black. Also, used the high heat flat black on the outside of the pads so I didn't have clashing red colors. I ended up painting the rear calipers the same color as the car, also, to complete the look. For me, it works.

-
How about you take one of those brackets off and let someone mock up a prototype ;) As far as their rotors working hand-in-hand with their capilers, they're tested in those applications. A rotor is a rotor, the larger caliper with more surface area and more pistons is what is going to give the results. I can't forsee any problems running solely Brembo calipers, people do it on other applications all the time. It's a shame they cost such an insane amount, they do look like a hell of a product.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts