Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Accord EX 4-cyl. I have a mystery whining / shifting noise (not a clunk) that lasts about 1 second that occurs after starting my car, shifting to drive and beginning my acceleration. It seems to originate on the front end passenger side. The only other time I hear it is if I hit a bump. Car drives fine otherwise. Checked all fluid levels and they seem fine. Doesn’t occur again from P to D unless I shutoff the engine first.
One person suggested it was my door lock actuator but I am skeptical. Any one else experience this?

·
Elvira - the car
3,431 Posts
2003 Accord EX 4-cyl. I have a mystery whining / shifting noise (not a clunk) that lasts about 1 second that occurs after starting my car, shifting to drive and beginning my acceleration. It seems to originate on the front end passenger side. The only other time I hear it is if I hit a bump. Car drives fine otherwise. Checked all fluid levels and they seem fine. Doesn’t occur again from P to D unless I shutoff the engine first.
One person suggested it was my door lock actuator but I am skeptical. Any one else experience this?
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your ABS system doing it's normal functional test. It should do this every time you start off and drive, i believe 20mph or higher.

you need not step on the brake to test that ABS system and if you drive less than I'll say WAG 10mph the system won't check until over that 20 mph speed.

Good description of the when this occurs.

·
Pilot without a plane
145 Posts
For the person who suggested the door lock actuator, you may want to avoid them for:

Stock tips
Lottery numbers
Relationship advice
Diet suggestions
Interior decorating ideas
A "come to Jesus" talk
Career advice
Mechanic advice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your ABS system doing it's normal functional test. It should do this every time you start off and drive, i believe 20mph or higher.

you need not step on the brake to test that ABS system and if you drive less than I'll say WAG 10mph the system won't check until over that 20 mph speed.

Good description of the when this occurs.
Thanks for the feedback. To clarify it is less than 20 MPH when the noise occurs. It occurs as I am just starting to move forward. I may not even necessarily having to step on the accelerator. As I begin moving forward and within a few seconds the noise sounds off. Probably going to have to stand next to the car and have someone else start the car and begin to move forward to try and narrow the location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts