Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I was putting the tensioner back on my 2006 Accord 4cyl. after fixing a code P1009 and as I was tightening the the rear bolt of the tensioner the broke off. I believe part of the boat is still holding the tensioner on however the other two bolts are secure and the tensioner doesn't seem to be getting loose. However, I do want to fix this as I don't want only two bolts taking all that stress. But it wasn't easy getting access to the bolt that broke off and therefore trying to punch it out is going to be next to impossible. Any ideas?

· Registered
4,064 Posts
I get wanting to leave it but I had a buddy that once lost a bolt on a pulley and the thing twisted ever so slightly. He would burn through belts like crazy.

Go ahead and leave it off and see what happens.

Reactions: IsaacN

· Super Moderator
7,442 Posts
You'll have to access it then drill it off the block, with side engine mount removed. If you broke it off while tightening then you were tightening too much, you should be using a torque wrench for that. I suggest you take it to a shop though to get it out, it's not an easy one.

· DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,894 Posts
You'll have to access it then drill it off the block, with side engine mount removed. If you broke it off while tightening then you were tightening too much, you should be using a torque wrench for that. I suggest you take it to a shop though to get it out, it's not an easy one.
With right angle drill & drill guides &torches, it may not be a tough job for a shop. I4 seems to have better access than V6 tensioners. At the worst case, they can drill through and put a through bolt/nut there.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your insight and I am going to go the route of having an independent shop drill it out as I have a feeling that if I try and tackle this myself I would end up doing more harm than good. I need to break my habit of wanting to tighten everything down as tight as I can (guess I am learning my lesson the hard way this time). That being said, I did call a shop in order to get a general quote which they were not able to do since they would have to take a look at it and assess the amount of time they would need to invest to get the bolt out. They did mention that their hourly rate is $126 so I am thinking this may take then between 30mins-1 hour... this that reasonable?

· Super Moderator
7,442 Posts
it also depends on how bad the break is. If you just snapped the head of the bolt off, and the stud is sticking out after you remove the tensioner, then it might be a breeze. If you snapped the shaft of the bolt off and the other half of the bolt's shaft is inside then it's a different story.

· DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,894 Posts
The most important and difficult part of drilling out a broken bolt is: the 1st pilot hole. It has to be perfectly centered and go through the whole length of the broken bolt. Once the pilot hole is in place, the rest of the drilling is so much faster and easier.

Breaking inside is better than some sticking out, because there will be a shallow hole to hold a drill guide, so that the drill bit won't be "wandering", otherwise, the sticking out part has to be grinded flat in order to make a center punch indent to reduce "wandering".

You might want to drive the car to visit several shops in order to get a proper quote. The i4 tensioner seems to be mounted on a piece of outside metal that allows drilling through, unlike V6, the bolts go into the engine.

· Registered
4,064 Posts
The most important and difficult part of drilling out a broken bolt is: the 1st pilot hole. It has to be perfectly centered and go through the whole length of the broken bolt.
The good thing about how this one broke is you can take a good bolt, remove the head, drill out the center of the good bolt and thread it into the hole and use it as your guide. See what I'm sayin?

· DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,894 Posts
Some shops will weld something to the end of the broken bolt to get it to turn out as well - just ask them how they approach it. This is what a shop did when my son broke off the Alternator bolts a few months ago.
You are right. That's actually the most popular way of broken bolt removal, if welding a nut is practical..

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
After looking at that photo, forget the welding...
They'll most likely drill it out, put a helicoil in it, and call it a day.

A helicoil will be more than strong enough.

· Registered
7 Posts
View attachment 512868
So I was putting the tensioner back on my 2006 Accord 4cyl. after fixing a code P1009 and as I was tightening the the rear bolt of the tensioner the broke off. I believe part of the boat is still holding the tensioner on however the other two bolts are secure and the tensioner doesn't seem to be getting loose. However, I do want to fix this as I don't want only two bolts taking all that stress. But it wasn't easy getting access to the bolt that broke off and therefore trying to punch it out is going to be next to impossible. Any ideas?
If you can fit a dremel with a disc, you can create a channel on the bolt and with a flat head tool and a ratchet probably it will come out. I've done it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well here is the update. I took it to a shop today and after they took a look at it they said that it may take them 1 to 2 hours labor and quoted me $200 - $250. I told them to go ahead just so that it's done. Seemed a high rate but I don't really have the time to bring it to multiple places and I am not confident in doing it myself. Lesson learned, do not over tighten. Ugh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.