Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Prim and Proper
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I broke the shell of my key fob yesterday so now I'm using my extra key. The electronics in the fob are okay, it's just the shell that's broken. I was going to get a flip key eventually, anyway so I figure I'll just do that as it'll probably be cheaper than OEM replacement, anyway. I'm looking at two different replacements so I'll list what I like and don't like about each one but I'd appreciate opinions on what you guys think.

1) Pros: New electronics/transponder, "H" logo on the back
Cons: Comes with programming instructions, but I was under the impression that you had to go to Honda to program keys, more expensive
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-06-07-HONDA-ACCORD-ALL-1-FLIP-KEY-REMOTE-4-/360255606317?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e0e84e2d#ht_3368wt_939

2) Pros: Cheaper
Cons: No "H" logo, would have to dick around with the old transponder and risk breaking something

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-2003-2004-2005-HONDA-ACCORD-FLIP-KEY-CASE-/380171131619?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5883f71ae3#ht_2677wt_1165

I personally like the first one better but aren't sure if it's worth the extra price. I've from some that flip keys are flimsy and others that they're sturdy so I'm not sure who to believe. Also, I'm aware of the TSX flip key but don't really feel like spending that much for something I can get for way cheaper

Let me know guys, thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
The first one looks way better than the second.

I am guessing you might be able to take out the the electronic chip from your old fob and put it in the new one. I know it works for the normal OEM fobs but am not sure about the switch blade ones.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Prim and Proper
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's what I was thinking but do the buttons on the old fob just go under the buttons on the new one?

Thanks for the link, BTW, I was going to use that but this saves me from searching for it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I dont think the buttons would go under new one. but why do you want to transfer the buttons? All you need is the chip.

·
Prim and Proper
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point. So just transferring the chip would work for the keyless entry, too?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It needs some programming, see page 3 of the link I sent you.
Go through that thread or http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80815&page=12

you'll have a better idea on what to expect. That being said I am not if your ebay key will have the same chip. So check that before you do anything. or just order a normal acura tl switch blade key.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I have the 2nd one, it feels a little cheap, the metal key is kinda loose but will stay open or closed until you hit the button. It also arrived with the transponder chip loose so I had to superglue it into place. I really have no complaints about it for the price I paid.

·
Prim and Proper
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No need to listen to these opinions. You don't need to program anything, you just switch the transponder & buttons into the new one and get the new key cut at dealership... http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37545
The one in that link looks like the second one I was looking at and it looks better than I thought it would, thanks. I suppose it would make sense that there would be no need to program if the keyless works in whatever shell it's in and I'm transplanting the transponder.

I have the 2nd one, it feels a little cheap, the metal key is kinda loose but will stay open or closed until you hit the button. It also arrived with the transponder chip loose so I had to superglue it into place. I really have no complaints about it for the price I paid.
My OEM key has always felt a little flimsy, like the key would move around a bit in the shell. Is that key worse than that? I don't know if I want something that feels really cheap, even if I only paid like $20 for it

Thanks for the responses guys, keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
My OEM key has always felt a little flimsy, like the key would move around a bit in the shell. Is that key worse than that? I don't know if I want something that feels really cheap, even if I only paid like $20 for it

Thanks for the responses guys, keep 'em coming!
Yeah it's worse. Give me a bit of time I'll get some video.

·
Prim and Proper
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Too old to tolerate
922 Posts
You have 3 choices:

1. Get the OEM keyfob.
2. Get the TL Swithblade key. P/N 72147-SEP-A52. Price around $60-$80 + cutting the blank.
3. If the only broken part is the plastic, jdmland.com has this keyfob cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
You have 3 choices:

1. Get the OEM keyfob.
2. Get the TL Swithblade key. P/N 72147-SEP-A52. Price around $60-$80 + cutting the blank.
3. If the only broken part is the plastic, jdmland.com has this keyfob cover.
Yay for not reading! :lmao:

I was going to get a flip key eventually, anyway
Also, I'm aware of the TSX flip key but don't really feel like spending that much for something I can get for way cheaper

·
Prim and Proper
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
That key looks pretty good for 16 bucks. Looking back, would you have rather spent the extra money and gotten the first one that looks sturdier or no?
Ok, so the story behind mine is a bit different than yours. I actually had only one key for the car so I bought this as a full set - chip, remote, everything included. It wasn't just a shell, so of course it was more expensive, something like $40. But, I was looking at your other choice too, and it was similar in price.

From my experience so far, I'd buy this key again.

1) My key is "loose" but some sellers on eBay claim they knew about this problem and have a version that is sturdier (but is the same design). If I was worried about the loose key, I'd just buy the newer version of this one.

2) The red Honda emblem bugs me.

3) The silver buttons in the 1st one bug me. The TL key is OEM and the silver buttons eventually wear down to white plastic. I don't think the aftermarket is going to be much better. At least if the painted emblems (lock, unlock, trunk) on my buttons wear, the buttons are still black and look presentable.

4) You can clearly see on the eBay pics of the first key that the key itself is sticking out slightly even when it's in the closed position. It's probably loose like mine anyway.

5) I liked the chrome keyring holder at the end of my key.

One note on the flip keys in general though, they're huge. It doesn't bug me at all, but it just shocked me when I saw it...I never expected it.

·
Prim and Proper
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One note on the flip keys in general though, they're huge. It doesn't bug me at all, but it just shocked me when I saw it...I never expected it.
Still looks smaller than the OEM fob

I read his statement and I provided 3 choices. "el cheapo" :naughty: flip key looks crappy. I have the TL key. It doesn't do the thing showed on the video.
First off, I'm a college student and can't afford a lot at them moment. Secondly, there's no way I'm spending more than 50 bucks on something as frivolous as a key. If I wanted to spend that much I'd just get a new OEM key. Paying $16 for a switchblade shell is way cheaper and will do the same job. Obviously I don't expect a $16 key to be OEM quality but if someone who owns it now says he would buy it again that's all I really need to know.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I read his statement and I provided 3 choices. "el cheapo" :naughty: flip key looks crappy. I have the TL key. It doesn't do the thing showed on the video.

quality paid off. :biggrin:

Regards,
Rafael
My key won't ever have ugly white plastic buttons because the paint wore off, AND it cost 1/2 price. AND VTECaddict has a TL switchblade and he's told me that his key is loose too after a couple years of use. Quality doesn't pay off after all :lmao: Oh and by the way, you know you have an Acura logo on your Honda Accord's key?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts