Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 honda accor dx model and I broke the masterkey in half although I still have the chip part. I also have a valet key but it doesnt start the engine on just all the electronics in the car. Is there a way I can get the valet key to start the engine or would it be possible for me take apart the valet key and place it into the masterkey chip part? Sorry if I sound like I have no idea what im talking about because I really dont. What can I do?

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
-Buy a new key
-Program valet key
-Hold broken transmitter near the ignition cylinder while turning the valet key

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The key part is missing but the immobilizer chip is still working (can open and lock doors and trunk) can I cut the valet key from the grey part and try putting it into the immobilizer chip part of the masterkey? or can I just hold it the broken transmitter to the valet key and turn it on?

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Not sure if the transmitter in the valet key is the same as the master key. If you're really that determined not to buy a new key, you can always just have the dealership program the valet key. When the dealer programs a new key, all keys have to be in the car, in use. Typically when a new key is programmed, the valet key isn't present and the car loses the memory of that key. It might work to hold the transmitter up to the ignition cylinder, but no guarantees.

·
Super Moderator
3,477 Posts
The chip in the valet key will be in closer proximity to the immobilizer receiver so that will not work.

Cheapest way might be to buy a new uncut key and get it cut then swapping the pieces from the broken.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If the valet key does not start the car, the immobilizer chip is not programmed for your car. The only difference between the master key and valet key is an extra slot to allow the master key to be inserted into the trunk and glove box locks. The immobilizer chips in both keys should be identical, if they are programmed correctly to match your ECM. The door remote transmitter is different from the ignition immobilizer chip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts