Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have insurance but how much are they going to pay? A couple of years ago CarMax offered $1,500 for it and they didn't even catch all the cosmetic issues.

I mean I guess I can get a replacement at a junk yard, all the other body panels are a different color. He offered to pay for it but I kind of don't even care any more.

Sorry, having a crappy day and thought I'd share. I'll try to post pics in the morning once the sun's out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good learning experience for your brother? If he's willing to pay for it - get a quote from a few body shops.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I’m going to do that.

I’m almost thinking of getting him to pay diminished value. Is it worth paying $2k to bring the car from $800 to $1,000, considering all the issues I’m having with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ziptie princess
1,685 Posts
a grille and hood aren't going to cost you 2k

grab the parts from the junkyard, if you can't find a hood that matches you can either respray it yourself or get a body shop to do it for a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Figure junkyard parts to be about $50 each. If you really don't care have him give you $500-1000 and call it a day. If the car's such a POS it will be like hitting the jackpot.

Reactions: emeron

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a grille and hood aren't going to cost you 2k

grab the parts from the junkyard, if you can't find a hood that matches you can either respray it yourself or get a body shop to do it for a couple hundred bucks.
That’s true. I was thinking when I had it originally replaced through insurance when a deer ran in to it.

And here are some pics.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
778 Posts
Er... does it still drive?

Not sure what your other issues are, but if the car's high enough mileage and already has pre-existing issues... I'd leave it as is and save the repair costs towards something new.

While I get that you're angry, I would suggest you think long and hard before pushing your brother for repair money. Of course you can ask him, but don't be aggressive about it. Even though it's clearly his fault, it's not something to potentially lose family over.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,987 Posts
Not sure what your other issues are, but if the car's high enough mileage and already has pre-existing issues... I'd leave it as is and save the repair costs towards something new.
Leave it as is? Doesn't look like the hood can be opened to me which means no way to perform oil changes and other maintenance.

@davidg4781 , can the hood be opened?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

While I get that you're angry, I would suggest you think long and hard before pushing your brother for repair money. Of course you can ask him, but don't be aggressive about it. Even though it's clearly his fault, it's not something to potentially lose family over.
I drove it to work today. A/C still works, nothing seems to be leaking. Oil life’s at 50% so I have time on that, but it does burn oil and I probably need to add some.

And actually, I’m not angry about it. I told him not to worry about it but he wants to do the right thing in his mind. He wants to avoid insurance and either work on it himself (that’ll look rough!) or get a replacement hood/grill.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leave it as is? Doesn't look like the hood can be opened to me which means no way to perform oil changes and other maintenance.

@davidg4781 , can the hood be opened?
I haven’t checked the hood yet. It happened late last night and I had to work early this morning. I didn’t want to add any unnecessary problems.

I’ll try to check it some time this weekend or early next week. I’m working straight but I might have time to tie it down if I need to.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Your brother wants to do the right thing, give him a chance. I'm not saying take his money, but do let him scour the junkyards on his own time, deal with the paint shop, help you install the new parts and get rid of the damaged hood. Realizing what it really takes to fix a mistake is a more valuable lesson than throwing money at it and walking away.

·
ziptie princess
1,685 Posts
that hood is pretty hosed but should still open, you might actually be able to save the grille?

·
8th Gen Believer
4,035 Posts
I have a brother too, let him help. It's a nice looking car and no, I'd not get rid of it or leave it like that. Older Accords have character. Go for it.

Reactions: enne

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
231 Posts
No radiator leaks or anything?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Make him fix it, swap cars with him til its fixed to your satisfaction, and have him buy you two cases of beer to cover inconvenience to you.
How many 7th Gen Accords have you killed now? Didn't you flip one over and crashed a few more?
LOL sounds like bro is getting this one primed.

·
MT or death
404 Posts

This is the correct answer. If the car isn't worth anything, why care about fixing it? Drive it till the wheels fall off.

Reactions: Ash051

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,899 Posts
When my SIL's husband backed into my Accord, I just asked him to give me enough money to buy a replacement tail light lens, because he managed to break one. That was the end of it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
When my SIL's husband backed into my Accord, I just asked him to give me enough money to buy a replacement tail light lens, because he managed to break one. That was the end of it.
Sure but then you have to spend time to find/purchase/install the new part. The inconvenience fee for that is the two cases of beer (or beverage of choice.)

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,899 Posts
I ordered one from eBay the same night as the accident

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts