Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
a grille and hood aren't going to cost you 2k

grab the parts from the junkyard, if you can't find a hood that matches you can either respray it yourself or get a body shop to do it for a couple hundred bucks.
It could very well cost $2000 to replace the hood and grille if it were to be replaced with new- or even used parts if done by a pro. When I needed to have my hood replaced on my 2016 Accord Coupe- a new hood with paint was $1500 including labor. If I had gone with a used hood that had to be repainted- it would have saved about $150.

With that said- you have a good point here- it makes absolutely no sense to replace that hood with a brand new part.

If I were the original poster- I'd visit a few body shops and be upfront with them. Many body shops will work with you and give you some options depending on your expectations for the repair. You might find a body shop that's willing to try and remove some of the bad dents in the hood for a few hundred bucks- with the understanding that it won't be perfect. That's assuming that the hood can still be opened/shut properly.

When I shopped around for places to fix my 2016's hood, I got a range of opinions and options- ranging from a few hundred bucks to try and remove the dent as best as they could- to a complete hood replacement. I opted for a complete hood replacement- because the car was so new and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

If you aren't a perfectionist- a decent body shop could likely work with a budget (whatever that may be) and fix it to the best of their ability within that budget. If you are willing to do the work yourself- then it's just the cost of the part and painting - but painting can be expensive if you want a shop to do it well.

·
ziptie princess
1,687 Posts
It could very well cost $2000 to replace the hood and grille if it were to be replaced with new- or even used parts if done by a pro. When I needed to have my hood replaced on my 2016 Accord Coupe- a new hood with paint was $1500 including labor. If I had gone with a used hood that had to be repainted- it would have saved about $150.

With that said- you have a good point here- it makes absolutely no sense to replace that hood with a brand new part.

If I were the original poster- I'd visit a few body shops and be upfront with them. Many body shops will work with you and give you some options depending on your expectations for the repair. You might find a body shop that's willing to try and remove some of the bad dents in the hood for a few hundred bucks- with the understanding that it won't be perfect. That's assuming that the hood can still be opened/shut properly.

When I shopped around for places to fix my 2016's hood, I got a range of opinions and options- ranging from a few hundred bucks to try and remove the dent as best as they could- to a complete hood replacement. I opted for a complete hood replacement- because the car was so new and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

If you aren't a perfectionist- a decent body shop could likely work with a budget (whatever that may be) and fix it to the best of their ability within that budget. If you are willing to do the work yourself- then it's just the cost of the part and painting - but painting can be expensive if you want a shop to do it well.
you got ripped off lol

·
MT or death
412 Posts
When my SIL's husband backed into my Accord, I just asked him to give me enough money to buy a replacement tail light lens, because he managed to break one. That was the end of it.
Not that it matters, but wouldn't your sister in law's husband be your brother?

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,900 Posts
Not that it matters, but wouldn't your sister in law's husband be your brother?
No, my sister in law's husband is technically no relation to me. My sister in law is only my "in law" because she's blood-related to my husband.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
916 Posts
you got ripped off lol
That's the going price for parts and labor in my neck of the woods. Multiple shops all quoted about the same amount for a hood replacement. Part alone is $560 MSRP... plus paint and labor.

·
MT or death
412 Posts
No, my sister in law's husband is technically no relation to me. My sister in law is only my "in law" because she's blood-related to my husband.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
Ahhh, ok. I didn't even think of that.

Reactions: mtts60

·
Registered
916 Posts
you got ripped off lol
That's the going price for parts and labor in my neck of the woods. Multiple shops all quoted about the same amount for a hood replacement. Part alone is $560 MSRP... plus paint and labor.
I rechecked the bill- it was actually $1300 to replace and paint the grille with a new OEM part. I forgot that I also asked them to fix something else that raised the bill to $1500.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No radiator leaks or anything?
I still don't see any leaks. I think I'm good in that regard.

How many 7th Gen Accords have you killed now? Didn't you flip one over and crashed a few more?
This is my second Accord. I flipped my first after running in to a black cow in the middle of the road at midnight.

I've had a little more time to think about all this and I think I'm going to let him replace the hood and grille (if needed). Hopefully he can get the right color! If the car was in great condition I'd push for like new parts but really, I think the head lights are the only thing on it that are in great condition. I do need to get it fixed because it'll burn up the oil sooner or later. I'm at 50% life and don't drive much so I have a little bit of time. I don't think he wants to go through insurance. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run to just replace the parts and we should be able to do it ourselves.

Sorry for the late replies. My Mac did the same night. Maybe I'm getting older but I'm not too keen on typing all that up on an iPhone.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Replacing the grill, go new with that, and replacing a bent up hood with either a new one from Carparts.com or salvage yard hood, it is brain dead easy, anybody can do that. I do recommend having a helper with the hood removal and install of the replacement so you don't tweak the hinges. Then the cost question is getting the hood painted so it matches, and that shouldn't cost that much. To reduce the painting cost, sand it yourself and get some spot putty to fill in the little dings from rock chips, available at most chain auto parts stores. If you want to sand the hood yourself to reduce painting cost, start with 80 grit, go to 120 and then finish with 180.
New hood from Rockauto is $81, shipping will more than double that cost. Grills are around $10.
Also carparts.com is one to check.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I still don't see any leaks. I think I'm good in that regard.

This is my second Accord. I flipped my first after running in to a black cow in the middle of the road at midnight.

I've had a little more time to think about all this and I think I'm going to let him replace the hood and grille (if needed). Hopefully he can get the right color! If the car was in great condition I'd push for like new parts but really, I think the head lights are the only thing on it that are in great condition. I do need to get it fixed because it'll burn up the oil sooner or later. I'm at 50% life and don't drive much so I have a little bit of time. I don't think he wants to go through insurance. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run to just replace the parts and we should be able to do it ourselves.

Sorry for the late replies. My Mac did the same night. Maybe I'm getting older but I'm not too keen on typing all that up on an iPhone.
Good choice. I think most the people on here want their car returned to like-new condition but that doesn't suite your situation. Have him hit up a chain junk yard. They usually charge $60 for any hood and take your old one as a core. The small grille will be $10 at most.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts