Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car is going in for a really weird issue, when I stop my car around 2-5 MPH it "bucks". My car only has 5,986 miles on it, so it should be covered. But I was wondering if I'm the only person to have this issue and what it could possibly be. Also my car will sometimes when cold double shift when leaving stoplights causing my traction control light to come on.

Bucks = Jerking and or pulling with slight engine braking

Any ideas what could be wrong so I can assist the dealer?

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
What year/engine/trans is your car?

·
loving the V6 growl :D
444 Posts
that one you're referring bucking is normal. it actually downshifts to save your brake pads.

also the traction control turning when just leaving from a stop is called slippage. nothing is wrong with that with FWD cars. :D try to launch your car in a slower manner..

·
Registered
22 Posts
that one you're referring bucking is normal. it actually downshifts to save your brake pads.

also the traction control turning when just leaving from a stop is called slippage. nothing is wrong with that with FWD cars. :D try to launch your car in a slower manner..
Normal ? I have that same problem

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6

This bucking just started and everyone in the car notices that. Also the slipping is the car going 4 MPH from a stop light. It lunges forward and I nearly rear end people without trying. It will do it once when cold and won't do it again.

The bucking happens .5-1 second before stopping my car.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A V6 auto should not behave that way. Go get it checked out.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
take it to the dealer ASAP. Even if they find nothing wrong, you will most likely get a free trans drain and fill, updated PCM software, and notes added to your record stating transmission problems early upon ownership. This way later on they are more likely to cover the transmission replacement even if it outside of your warranty, if needed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This happens on mine as well (as it also did on my 2009 Civic). The transmission makes this last effort of shifting down from 2nd to 1st, causing the car to seemingly lunge (or "buck") forward. It's annoying at first, but you learn to give yourself more distance to stop.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took it in at 3k and they couldn't find anything wrong and reset the software. It was shifting "okay" for a while. Now the bucking started 1,000 miles ago.

It's been notated I think, I'll make sure if it when I drop it off tonight.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Wanda Honda
458 Posts
Well for me, this bucking/lunging was resolved when I got the transmission valve TSB performed along with the PCM update. It's possible that's causing the issue. Don't think it is normal if Honda issued a TSB for it.

EDIT: Never mind...missed that it's a V6...no CVT

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem except when releasing the brake from a stop. The car launches out, no matter how much I try and restrict with the brake. Not to mention a clunk when shifting into reverse or drive. 3,000 miles on my EX-L V6!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah I noticed that with mine as well. i4 with CVT. It will lurch pretty bad when slowing down going uphill, or when shifting from 2nd to 1st. Usually when around speed humps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 4 cyl w/ CVT lunges a little bit when I stop for a to a traffic light. But I've only noticed that it happens on flat roads.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you have the transmission in S you will get a pretty noticeable downshift into 1st gear right before stopping, I use this in traffic as it saves me from tapping the brakes every 2 seconds. Additionally it will hold you in 1st gear longer when accelerating from a stop.

But if that's not your case then glad you took it in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The car will have massive amounts of engine braking while in sport mode, that's for sure.

Does anyone know what would cause the buck? I want to help my dealer find the issue, instead of telling me it's fine.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Does anyone know what would cause the buck? I want to help my dealer find the issue, instead of telling me it's fine.
Its usually caused by a malfunctioning shift solenoid or torque converter... but that could be one of many reasons. Could be debris stuck inside the solenoid, programming issue, restriction in a line or something else causing the pressures to be thrown off. If the dealership takes the time and reads the live data recorded with the HDS they will be able to pinpoint the issue, but you must have the right tech working on your car to be able to correctly diagnose it. Leave it with them for an extended period of time and let them know this is a safety concern as you almost rear ended someone due to this. If they are not responsive you want to take it one step further, contact american honda and explain the whole situation to them. Honda does not take safety concerns lightly, they will even fly a Honda factory rep out to inspect it if necessary.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well for some stupid reason the honda didn't do it today with a tech on the car... So now I need to wait for it to get worse and hope they can fix it then. The roads are very slippery, so that might be why we can't feel it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts