Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanted to do a retrofit for a while after some persuasion from fellow members so i decided to do it. However,being a college student, I wanted to keep it low cost without sacrificing too much quality. This is my first retrofit and i am by no means an expert, i just wanted to share what I did.

First, a little background info on the headlights. One of the first mods i did to the car when i got it was get a new pair of Ebay black housed headlights which were the ones i was running until yesterday. Becuse they were cheap ebay headlights after two years the clear coat was flaking off. I had kept the OEM headlights which had a lot of oxidation and cracking on the lens but i figured i would combine the best aspects of each pair in order to make ONE good retrofitted pair of headlights.

I bought everything from www.headlightsquick.com. They are an authorized disributor from The Retrofit Source and Morimoto. James Wachs the President of the company was very helpful and handled all of my orders personally. Oh and the best part, they have FREE 2-Day SHIPPING.

Materials and Cost:
HQ Mini H1 Projectors: $45.00 http://www.headlightsquick.com/products/hq-brand-mini-h1-projectors.html
Full Sized Gatling Gun Shroud:$40.00 http://www.headlightsquick.com/products/full-sized-gatling-gun-shrouds.html
*But if you buy it through Amazon you get both for $60.00 Shipped*

H1 Bulbs: $9.98 on Ebay
HID Kit: Already had one from Ebay.
High Beam Splitters: $10.00 Headlights Quick (If you cant find it on the website, send James an email, tell him what you need and he will get it for you)
Projector Selenoid Plug: $13.00 Headlights Quick
Butyl Glue (optional): $13.00 Ebay. (the roll was huge, way more than i will ever need in my life)

TOTAL: $105.98

Projector Review:: A lot of peopple may be a little skeptical about not using the mainstream/famous H1 Morimoto Minis but let me tell you that these projector are probably as good. I didn't want to spend $120 on projectors alone so i went this route, i figured ANY projector would be better than my plug and play HID kit on a reflector housing. I have never had the Morimotos in my hand but i did look at a lot of pictures and videos of them and they look exactly the same as these HQ Projectors. The cut off line is very sharp and it even has a bluish/purple tint out of the box, which i know some people usually have to modify the projectors to achieve this.

Proectors:

This is a comparison picture of my retrofit cutoff and my brother in law"s 2012 Infinity G37 Sedan.

Left= G37 Sedan OEM Headlights
Right= My Retrofit

Close up of blue/purple tint

Here are the OEM Headlights, from which i kept the reflectors and the plastic housing.

From the Ebay Headlights i used the black trim thingy (dont know the name) with the clear reflector and the flaking lens. Obviously i didn't leave the flaking lens, i sanded it down starting with 400 grit sandpaper, followed by 600, 800, 1000, 1200, and 1500. Then i used automotive 2k clear coat that i had left over from when i painted my rear lip and gave the lenses 7 coats of clear coat.

I used this AMAZING little gun that i got from amazon. Very good gun, exceeded my expectation tremendously.

Painted the projector shields and interior stuff graphite gray to match the color of the car.

Trimmed the shrouds to fit the reflectors as exact as i could.

Placed the reflector on the housing.

Went to see if i could aim and adjust the headlights during the day but then realized i had no choice but to wait until it got dark. Fail!

After it got dark and i aimed the headlights it got late so i stopped taking pictures because i wanted to finish. Sorry.

I sealed the headlights back up and this is the end result.

Overall i am very happy with the result, the only reason why i hadn't done this before was because of the cost, but i found a way to do it on a budget so i am happy. Definitely one of my favorite mods. I love how the full sized Gatling Gun shrouds fill up the headlight and they don't look small like the Mini Gatling Gun shrouds.
Let me know what you guys think and feel free to ask any questions.

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
Nicely done.

I don't know if I would do something like that, but my wife has complained constantly about the headlights on her car. I've polished the covers a couple times, and it never lasts. But I've never tried shooting clear over them. I may give that a shot when I get the transmission done and the car put back together.

Jim

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nicely done.

I don't know if I would do something like that, but my wife has complained constantly about the headlights on her car. I've polished the covers a couple times, and it never lasts. But I've never tried shooting clear over them. I may give that a shot when I get the transmission done and the car put back together.

Jim
Thank you sir.
Yes definitely give it a try, I have found it to be one of the most long lasting solutions.

What color temp is the bulb your using? It looks too blue compared to the 4300k used in the g37.
I am using 6000k.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This looks great! Looking forward to doing the same to mine.

·
Registered
798 Posts
hmm wasnt aware of the "HQ" H1 projectors. cut offs look identical to my MH1s. looks good!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Currently doing the same retrofit, and I was wondering what hole you stuck this thing through. Did you drill your own hole? and I also wanna know what this thing hooks up to. lol. thanks. :thmsup:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That thing hooks up to your high beam in case you wanna have a quad high beam. Meaning both the oem high beam bulb AND the solenoid in the projector activate when you switch your high beams on. In order to do this you will need a splitter (listed in op) that divides the plug in your oem harness that goes to your high beam bulb into two, one for your oem high beam bulb and the other to that thing you posted out.
As for the hole, you won't need to drill another one because in your headlight there is already a hole you can run it through right behind the shield thingy you have to removed I order to place the projector in.

This connects to what you marked on the picture which then connects to one end of the splitters below
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=14163

These are the Splitters that connect to oem high beam harness
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=9717

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
That thing hooks up to your high beam in case you wanna have a quad high beam. Meaning both the oem high beam bulb AND the solenoid in the projector activate when you switch your high beams on. In order to do this you will need a splitter (listed in op) that divides the plug in your oem harness that goes to your high beam bulb into two, one for your oem high beam bulb and the other to that thing you posted out.
As for the hole, you won't need to drill another one because in your headlight there is already a hole you can run it through right behind the shield thingy you have to removed I order to place the projector in.

This connects to what you marked on the picture which then connects to one end of the splitters below
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=14163

These are the Splitters that connect to oem high beam harness
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=9717
+1

I cut a small slit in the rubber boot around the headlight socket and ran the highbeam solenoid wire through the bottom hole of the reflector housing and through the slit in the rubber boot.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If I don't want quad high beams, can I remove that cable and add it anytime later?

On another note for anyone buying these from Amazon, make sure vendor is Headlights_Quick, which is the vendor the OP got his from.

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
If I don't want quad high beams, can I remove that cable and add it anytime later?
Yep, you don't need to conect it now as all it does is enable the projector's highbeam. But you would be better off running it outside of the housing like we did and just taping it off so it's there if you decide to use it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yep, you don't need to conect it now as all it does is enable the projector's highbeam. But you would be better off running it outside of the housing like we did and just taping it off so it's there if you decide to use it.
That's true, that way I don't have to open the headlights for anything again.

·
Registered
86 Posts

On another note for anyone buying these from Amazon, make sure vendor is Headlights_Quick, which is the vendor the OP got his from.
I agree with this. If you do buy on amazon make sure it is from Headlights_Quick, the other vender takes FOREVER to ship out. I also got the mini gatling gun shroud, but it doesnt look like its good fit, did you guys have to trim the shroud? Pics would be appreciated of the trimming if you have any. Thanks for the quick response guys. Probably gonna leave the OEM high beams and tuck the wire somewhere.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts