Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody cracked open the seat heater switch module? The bulb for the driver's side switch died again. The unit was previously replaced under warranty. Warranty is now up. Curious if anyone has done this and how difficult it is (i.e., any soldering involved). Thanks.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
It is as easy as changing any light bulb in your house. There are three bulbs in the switch. Two identical bulbs for the lo/high on indicators, and a larger bulb for the button illumination. Pull the trim panel around your transmission, just pull it up with your hand. Disconnect each switch. Use a phillips head and remove the switch from the trim panel. Use a small flathead screwdriver and quarter-turn the dead bulb to remove it. Replace with new bulb. Test the bulb before reassembling.

Other bulbs that will also go out are the sunroof and TCS/VSA switch. Same procedure for replacing the bulbs. Just drop that lower dash panel and release the tabs from behind the dash to pop the switches out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome. thanks guys. I'll remember to search next time ;)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
btw u can get the exact same replacement bulbs at radioshack for $2 for a set of 2 bulbs. much cheaper than dealer.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
btw u can get the exact same replacement bulbs at radioshack for $2 for a set of 2 bulbs. much cheaper than dealer.
??? OMG!! I just spent $22 on three bulbs from the dealer. (2 heated seat switch bulbs and one sunroof switch bulb)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Type in 12v microlamp on radioshack website and you will find the part I am referring to. By getting the bulbs from radioshack you end up spending about 3 extra minutes fitting the new bulb in but I think it's worth it. Btw the color is not from the bulb itself, it's from an orange cover that wraps over the bulb

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
one of these days im gonna take some pics and write up a DIY on changing the light bulbs on 7th gen accords. it seems like people are asking questions about this all the time and the solution is so cheap and simple

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
one of these days im gonna take some pics and write up a DIY on changing the light bulbs on 7th gen accords. it seems like people are asking questions about this all the time and the solution is so cheap and simple
Or, people can just remove the switch and see the bulb staring at them in the face and just replace it. Replacement bulbs are under Electrical/Switch at any online Honda parts store. Or, use an alternative from radio shack.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i went with these bulbs from the shack for $1.79. (thanks paperboy) They are 12V 60mA. Honda calls for 14V 40mA. I always thought that using a lower rated bulb would blow it out? Any one able to explain electricity to me? :)

Also, maybe this is obvious to others, but I took a minute trying to remove the module that houses the bulbs from the casing before i realized that the sticker on the side was covering the bulb housings. I noticed my right heater switch did not have a sticker. Maybe the sticker is the newer design as the left switch was replaced on 06 under warranty. The right one is original. Turn the housing for the bulb about a 1/4 turn and then pop it out with your fingers. After running the wire through the connectors you can wrap it 1 or 2 times around the edge and snip off the rest.

Also, don't forget to remove the rubber orange casing on the old bulb and put it on the new one. I thought it was a painted bulb at first.

·
Sponsored by ambition
65 Posts
well, if the bulb is designed for 12v/60mA then you are putting in a 0.72 watt bulb in a slot designed for 0.56 watts. While that itself is no issue, you will likely find your bulb will light brighter than intended (shortening the life) and will pull more amperage than Honda designed the connection for. I doubt the amperage will be an issue but for bulbs it is better to get a higher voltage bulb than the voltage that feeds it (it only lights dimmer than it otherwise would) but a higher voltage would have been a brighter bulb than the original anyway, so it should work out.

Um... I rambled a bit: your 12V bulb will have a shortened lifespan, bottom line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts