Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey DA...
Before I start my thread... I know I'll get the usual negative comments and questions that I find all over the boards asking why I am putting springs on the stock struts because they will blow, etc... I am using springs with stock struts because I got a good deal on a new set of Tein S-Techs ($150) and plan on doing the install myself and saving about $400 in labor and leaving my final cost under $200. When the time comes that the stock struts blow, I will hopefully be able to get myself a set of coilovers and again, save the $$$ on labor... So in the long-run, I would still spend less than most would spend to have coilovers installed the first time...

Now to the question....

The instructions from Tein call for the bump-stops to be cut (1.2" off the bottom for both front and rears).
After researching, I've found that some people cut them and some do not. I would like to see those that have their car lowered on springs, do you know if the bump stop was cut during installation? I think plan on cutting mine since Tein recommends they be cut, but what do you guys think?
See the attached info from Tein...

Thanks
-Thumbs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Well bump stops limit travel... if you drop enough, the bump stop will keep the struts or shocks from designed travel. Depending on how the valving is done, you may limit how well the shocks / struts dampen and perform. I assume there is adequate travel and clearance for the wheels and tires once everything is installed. Keeping the uncut bump stops, would only be a necessity if there is a lack of travel or tire / wheel rub would be an issue. As they could save your life by allowing wheel travel and rotation under extreme conditions. Careful measuring and allowing for at least 2 inches of clearance would be a starting point. Only cut once everything has be properly set and checked.

·
Registered
107 Posts
re: springs-on-stock-struts

I've done this on 4 cars now, and here were my results...

2003 Audi A4 w/ Eibach springs - drove this setup for about 85,000 miles with no issues.

2002 Audi A6 w/ Eiback springs - drove this setup for 115,000 miles with no issues

2008 Kia Spectra 5 bought new, had H&R springs installed - drove this setup for 93,000 miles with no issued

2011 Accord V6 EX-L Nav, just installed H&R springs this week...but I'm pretty sure there will be no issues :)

·
lol wut
436 Posts
It's really up to you.. You can do it or you can leave it. The stock bump stops are pretty big which is why they recommend you cut it because as one of the first posters have said it limits shock travel, especially considering the lowering springs already decrease some shock travel. If you so happen to hit a bump hard enough to cause the shock to bottom out, it will bottom out sooner with an uncut bump stop. That said if you don't ever plan on bottom your car out while driving (which I'm sure you aren't) you'll most likely get away no problems without cutting it.

It's more of a precautionary measure, but by no means is it absolutely necessary to cut it. Your call really.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read if you DON'T cut them, the ride will be a bit harsher

dietDrThunder, when you installed the springs did you cut the bump stop or leave it?

to add on to dietDrThunder's list of vehicles and mileage that the stock struts were used for with no problems... I had my 99 prelude on Neuspeed springs and stock struts from around 30K when I bought the car all the way to 123,xxx on the odometer when I sold the car with no issues whatsoever.. Only thing is I don't remember if the bump stop was cut :lmao:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
OK, As long as you do not drive harshly or run speed bumps alike a down hill racer, you can remove the bump stops after driving around for a day or so of normal driving, and compare ride. If you find any difference with sudden harsh bumps, you can trim 1/2" and reinstall them for extra clearance, as it is safer to go in small steps than go all out.

·
lol wut
436 Posts
I've read if you DON'T cut them, the ride will be a bit harsher

dietDrThunder, when you installed the springs did you cut the bump stop or leave it?

to add on to dietDrThunder's list of vehicles and mileage that the stock struts were used for with no problems... I had my 99 prelude on Neuspeed springs and stock struts from around 30K when I bought the car all the way to 123,xxx on the odometer when I sold the car with no issues whatsoever.. Only thing is I don't remember if the bump stop was cut :lmao:
Whether you cut the bump stop or not it doesn't directly affect ride harshness per se... It's just there to prevent the top hat from slapping the shock tube directly and causing damage if you were to bottom out the car.

What they mean when they say the ride will be harsher is because you are more prone to hit the bump stop if you don't cut it, it will result in a harsher ride from constantly hitting the bump stop which just feels like really harsh jolt. But if you don't bottom out every day then you should have no issues at all. Drive slowly over bumps don't attack them like they don't exist. At the end of the day it's a $15-20 dollar part so it's really up to you whether you want to cut it or not. Personally I would just cut it unless you plan on removing the springs within the near future.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice ricerocket.. I do live in NY (Long Island, but I drive through Queens and the Bronx to get to work) and the roads are quite sh*tty over there :thumbsdow
Especially this time of year, the potholes are ridiculous! Even with my stock suspension, I avoid major bumps and potholes as much as possible, but around here its almost inevitable that you will hit one here and there.

I'm just going to cut it to the manufacturer's recommended 1.2" and be done with it. I can't be spending a day at a time removing the struts to throw a bumpstop in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts