Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I don't know if this question fits the forum, but I don't know where else to turn. Any help would be appreciated.

I bought my 2013 Honda Accord EX on Saturday afternoon and picked it up Saturday night. It was dark, but I did a walk around and noticed a couple small scratches on the bumper. The dealer provided me with a "we owe" form and said they would fix the bumper. They said the scratches were small and it would take 30 minutes to buff them out.

The next day I go outside and notice one of the scratches is a little deeper and the black of the bumper is showing through. I called my salesman and he assured me that the professionals would take care of it.

Fast forward to this morning. I went back to the dealer to have it fixed and the detailer said that the bumper needs to be repainted b/c the one scratch is deep. I obviously didn't want to do this b/c I didn't want paint work on a brand new car.

The scratch in question is small, but I feel I should be the one to put the first scratch on the car. After talking with the General Manager he agreed to swap my bumper with the bumper of another brand new car. This will happen on Monday. I guess my question is are there any issues with the bumpers being swapped out? My biggest concern is the color match.

I researched a little online and it looks like the bumpers are painted separately in the factory.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, anything that I am missing? Any other alternatives that you might know about?

Thanks.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

IDK, tough one. What color is the car?

For me if there were VIN stickers on the bumpers, I would just swallow the scratch and move on. But, I would negotiate some accessories or something other for the deminished value of the scratch. In the end it all depends on the size of the scratch for me.

Yes the bumpers and plastic bits are usually painted seperate because the paint needs a flex agent to allow the plastic to flex and the paint not to spider crack. It is standard in the industry.

Jay

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,157 Posts
After talking with the General Manager he agreed to swap my bumper with the bumper of another brand new car.
That's pretty shady and dishonest. The bumpers should have VIN # stickers. When they swap them out, the person who buys that new car will have a mismatching bumper VIN. I'm no lawyer, but I would imagine this to be illegal.

Why don't you want to get the bumper repainted? Are you aware that cars often get damaged during shipping or while being moved around the dealer lot and the cars are repaired/repainted without the customers knowledge? Something on the car could have already been repainted and you wouldn't even know. This would be no different than that. You won't even be able to tell it was repainted when they're done. If you don't believe me, ask spikeitaudi who had to get his hood repainted.

Picked up the car. Looks brand new and better then when I picked it up. Man I had a Nissan Versa for a rental. Glad to have my Accord back. :)

The fact that a car is brand new doesn't mean it's not damaged.

Most people are shocked to learn that dealers do not have to disclose damage on a new car unless it exceeds 6% of the MSRP.

Since most dealers repair damages in their own facilities, the 6% threshold is more like 10% if you were to take it to an independent repair shop.

Think about this - a brand new $30,000 vehicle can have an equivalent of up to $3,000 in repairs without the dealer being required to disclose it.

New cars are also frequently damaged when moved around the lots. The cars are in tight spaces, with dings and scratches quite common.

Before taking delivery of your car, make sure you do a close inspection, both on the outside and interior of the car. Look carefully for overspray of paint in the door jams, near the headlamps under the hood, and chrome trim.

Also pay attention to the spacing between openings such as when the trunk, hood, or doors are closed. Make sure the spacings are even on both sides.

Small scratches and dents are not uncommon to find. Make sure the dealer agrees to fix these blemishes before you drive off the lot.

http://www.realcartips.com/newcars/333-inspect-new-car-before-buying.shtml

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
What's the big deal with paint work on a new car?

If anything, I'd prefer that 'cause you wouldn't have to worry as much about paint matching versus an older car. It'll probably look just fine and you won't notice it when they're done.

I can understand being upset that a new car already needs work. But hey, it'll be OK and maybe get an accessory out of the dealer.

·
4,339 Posts
What's the big deal with paint work on a new car?

If anything, I'd prefer that 'cause you wouldn't have to worry as much about paint matching versus an older car. It'll probably look just fine and you won't notice it when they're done.

I can understand being upset that a new car already needs work. But hey, it'll be OK and maybe get an accessory out of the dealer.
Ask my friend who bought a 1997 Intrepid and had the dealer paint the hood over a few chips like you would get in a couple thousand miles. The car was transfered from another dealer and probably picked them up on the road. I told him that they were light and just to the primer. Have them knock a few hundered off and throw in a tube of touch up paint.

Dealer repainted the hood. It looked great until the clear started coming off in sheets outside of warranty. Worked out well. :yes:

I had a 1999 Grand Prix GT that the paint started peeling on the drivers side only. When it was all finally said and done it was discovered that the whole passengers side of the car was repainted in the factory. The kicker was that there was 15mils of paint where a stock finish would only have 5mils. When you looked at a cross section you could see the layers of primer base clear, primer, base, primer, base, clear.

Jay

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
I'd just take $250 from the dealer in cash and call it a day. It's a freakin scratch and you'll get more, and the dealer will spend more than that to swap bumpers etc. Everyone wins.

·
4,339 Posts
As opposed to Honda's awesome factory paint work?
You are comparing apples to oranges. He had car that was perfectly fine except for the area where the hood was reworked.

Every manufacture has factory paint issues.

Jay

·
Registered
842 Posts
I did the fog lights myself last weekend with help from my old man (would definitely advise having a second set of hands around to do that job), which involves removing the bumper. I can confirm that there is a VIN sticker on the inside.

Don't know if that affects your decision, but it is there.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
As opposed to Honda's awesome factory paint work?

.... I hope this does not happen to mine. My uncle has a 2000 Accord white. Now (for a while now) it's matte white barely any clear left

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,157 Posts
You are comparing apples to oranges. He had car that was perfectly fine except for the area where the hood was reworked.

Every manufacture has factory paint issues.
The point is that the clear coat can fail whether it's a factory job or a repaint, and that shouldn't dissuade the OP from getting the bumper repainted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
.... I hope this does not happen to mine. My uncle has a 2000 Accord white. Now (for a while now) it's matte white barely any clear left
Don't be too worried. These two vehicles (8th gen Civic [especially in Urban Titanium and similar colors], and 6th gen Accord) are notorious for peeling clear coats. The only other similar issue I can think of that Honda had was in the 90s with a certain red paint color that turned pink over time.

In all cases, the issues were common (among certain paint colors and/or on one particular model), and Honda frequently discounted or covered the cost of respraying vehicles. I'll assume that the 9th generation Accord won't have any of these issues (I think Honda has learned their way around water based paints by now), but if you want to have extra insurance, keep a good coat of wax on your car at all times. You should really be doing this anyway, if you don't already. :)

·
4,339 Posts
The point is that the clear coat can fail whether it's a factory job or a repaint, and that shouldn't dissuade the OP from getting the bumper repainted.
Lets agree to disagree on that one. More times than not I have seen the fix be worse than the symptom.

Jay

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If they don't want to replace with a new part, ordered from manufacturer and not taken from car they have in stock, ask for money and get to a reputable paint shop to have it redone.

Have that shop do an estimate so the dealer give you the correct amount of money.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Don't be too worried. These two vehicles (8th gen Civic [especially in Urban Titanium and similar colors], and 6th gen Accord) are notorious for peeling clear coats. The only other similar issue I can think of that Honda had was in the 90s with a certain red paint color that turned pink over time.

In all cases, the issues were common (among certain paint colors and/or on one particular model), and Honda frequently discounted or covered the cost of respraying vehicles. I'll assume that the 9th generation Accord won't have any of these issues (I think Honda has learned their way around water based paints by now), but if you want to have extra insurance, keep a good coat of wax on your car at all times. You should really be doing this anyway, if you don't already. :)
I take care of my paint, trying to wash it with little to no scratch. I did wax/seal it sometime last year. I haven't washed the car since October cause of the cold weather, I hate cold weather. But I have been spraying the salt off with water. I miss the shiny/glossy finish so much...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did the fog lights myself last weekend with help from my old man (would definitely advise having a second set of hands around to do that job), which involves removing the bumper. I can confirm that there is a VIN sticker on the inside.

Don't know if that affects your decision, but it is there.

Curious as to where the inside the sticker is.

When I bought my car to have the bumper repainted the auto body shop said they done a few of them already and there was no VIN on the bumpers.

I never thought to check on the inside.

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
If it makes you feel any better about having your bumper painted - I just had my front bumper done a few months back. No problems what so ever and I can't tell the difference and I am a professional artist for a living so i am pretty good with colors.

I was driving down the highway and some sort of debris or maybe a rock flew up from the car in front of me and BAM! Right to the front bumper. Took a few days to find the damage but it was about an inch long cut down to the primer and maybe 1/8th of an inch wide right on the body line starting to form the fog housing inset.

At this point, the car had 3,100 miles on it and was about 5 months old. Obviously the paint was still looking brand new. They painted the front bumper for a match to my Modern Steel Metallic and I can't tell the slightest difference.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,157 Posts

I'll assume that the 9th generation Accord won't have any of these issues
Give it time. Seems the majority of clear coat/paint failures shows up at around the 6 or 7 year mark. Some happen earlier, some happen later. Honda has not fixed this as far as I'm aware of. Expect to see people complaining of clear coat problems on their 9th generation Accords around the year 2019.

2003 with paint deterioration. 2004 with clear coat failure. 2006 with peeling clear coat. 2006 with clear coat failure/paint delamination. 2004 with peeling clear coat. 2005 with clear coat failure.

2008's with paint issues/clear coat failure:

Kelly G. said:
Jan 1, 2011

I noticed a spot on the hood of the car where it had peeled all the way to the gray. I took it to the dealer and the service department immediately told me that it was from a bird. There is no way bird poop ate all the way to the gray, especially given the size and place of the spot, I would have seen it!!! Anyway, this occurred in 2011 and fast forward to a few days ago, there is another spot beginning to wear. So I am sure that I am going to have to paint the hood at my expense and the car is black, so good luck to me getting the dyes to match so there goes the value. I am really disappointed in Honda over this.
takashibbbb said:
Apr 8, 2013

The pain of roof is getting peeled from the edge. I cannot believe a car made in 2009 start having this problem. The car was parked outside since purchased but I had never had this problem for my impreza 2000. Very cheap paint compared to other Japanese brands. I do not want to buy Honda again.
D M. said:
Jun 15, 2010

Paint has started to flake around the rear window. Also noticed the paint clear coat has "worn down"
2009 with clear coat failure/peeling (person is a member here too):

jimmut said:
Oct 30, 2013

I bought this car brand new in August 2010. Its a 2009 Honda Accord EX Coupe San Marino Red. My friends always say I'm obsessed with keeping my cars clean. I always wash them once a week at least and wax a few times a year. And if bird droppings or anything gets on my car I am always quick to get them off.

Well Imagine my shock when just the other day I was washing the car and noticed what I thought was some goo or something on the passenger front fender. After finding it wouldn't wash off and closer inspection with my hand I could tell it was something more serious.I finished drying my car and was shocked to see that it was in fact the clear coat coming off the paint. A 4 year old car that I only owned for 3 years should not be losing any clear coat. Even if I never took car of the car this should not be happening yet. I have attached some pics so you can see. If you were to see my car in person you could tell I take care of the car obsessively.

Another 2009 with paint flaking off:

Stephen H. said:
Sept 19, 2012

We purchased a white 2009 Honda Accord Coupe with 39000 miles on it back in August 2012. This is a used car. About 2 weeks after purchase the paint started to flake off of the roof of the car and also flaking off in the rear window channels. Took the vehicle back to Premier Honda of New Orleans and of course they say we have a clean car fax. This is not worth the paper it is printed on by the way. The dealership holds the car overnight for a Honda regional manager to come by and look at it. My paint and body shop owner says there is a big problem with PAINT ADHERENCE on Honda vehicles. He says just check out the complaints on the internet and Honda is not standing behind these problems. To re paint the car they said only way for sure to get the paint to adhere to vehicle is sand down the whole car and start again. The dealership paint and body man agreed that would be the only way to fix the issue. However the dealership nor Honda will pay for this to be done. So before you buy a honda please become very well informed and ask a lot of questions and read a lot of automobile forums.
2010 with peeling hood and roof:

seanpapa said:
Oct 3, 2011

In 2010 I bought a certified 2007 Honda Accord LX with 41K miles and the paint on the roof started peeling just after six months of having the car. The dealership didn’t care and told me it’s my problem and that I should fix it myself. I had to file a complaint with American Honda in California just to get Brandon Honda in Florida to fix it. Then seven months ago I traded the 2007 Accord in for a certified 2010 Accord LX with 34k miles at a different dealership Wesley Chapel Honda and several days after taking the car home I noticed spots on the hood and front panel. I took the car back and they had several mobile touch-up painters try to fix it but it looked terrible. I spent 3 to 4 days going back in forth to the dealership just to fix this. Then a month later the roof started peeling, you could see the sheet metal. The dealership didn't want to fix this I literally had to threaten to resolve this by legal remedy just to get them to fix the car. So it took them a week to decide on fixing it then another week just to get the entire roof painted. This is a 2010 Accord that needs the entire roof painted in 2011, something’s wrong with Honda!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Curious as to where the inside the sticker is.

When I bought my car to have the bumper repainted the auto body shop said they done a few of them already and there was no VIN on the bumpers.

I never thought to check on the inside.
It was along the side, just in front of the wheel. I want to say it was the passenger side.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts