Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an apparent problem with some 2008 V6 VTEC engines related to a valve seal problem (i still don't have the details).

Since I bought my Accord in Oct 2007, it's burned through more oil than expected between changes.

The dealer has been blaming me for waiting too long between changes, but I just brought it back after 3000 miles for a service issue since the last oil change and it was two quarts low! They tried to say this was normal at first until they found a valve seal problem.

Parts are on back-order "because there are other cars with the same problem".

Keep an eye on the oil if you're relying on the dealer to change it. You could have the problem w/o even knowing during the warranty period and get screwed later.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Even with the maintenance minder you need to periodically check your oil level. The maintenance minder does not monitor oil level. Check you oil at least once a month or every thousand miles, whichever is sooner, and top off as needed.

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
I agree about checking the oil regularly. But, any oil usage beyond about a half qt in a 5000 mile interval is unacceptable to me.

My '04 might use barely an 1/8th. The 1998 J30 that's here at 232,000 miles only uses 1/2 qt per 5000.

·
Banned
1,723 Posts
damn my rx7's didn't burn a full quart per 3k miles. Other point to bring up with then dealer, I bet now all your o2 sensors and cats has been significantly effected by the burning of oil.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have been through the steps of engine work on mine already. After valve seals and machined heads, my 08 V6 still burns a quart every 2000 miles. Honda won't replace the motor. If it gets worse, they MIGHT consider a replacement. Other than that, I'm stuck with this car. HONDA BLOWS!:thumbsdow

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have been through the steps of engine work on mine already. After valve seals and machined heads, my 08 V6 still burns a quart every 2000 miles. Honda won't replace the motor. If it gets worse, they MIGHT consider a replacement. Other than that, I'm stuck with this car. HONDA BLOWS!:thumbsdow
Just about every manufacturer considers anything less than 1 quart per 1k miles to be normal consumption. They might try to reduce the usage but they aren't going to replace the engine. Go to Bob is the oil guy and you will see people with vehicles of every make that use as much or more oil than you and it's always considered normal if no leaks or cause of usage is found.

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
I'd get it in writing from someone at Honda about the catalyst and O2 damage being done, that they'll cover the cats and sensors when they fail. Due to the oil consumption, they can opt not to cover them, as it's not the cats fault it failed.

That amount of oil going through the system is going to poison the converters first, maybe the front ones will break up and get sucked into the engine, that'll surely take care of it.

Have you sent off a very articulate and detailed letter to Honda corporate in Torrance? They do seem to respond to letters very quickly. BTDT.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny this is my car needed it's first oil change today and I saw this thread and figured I would take a look at my dipstick. The engine bascially had NO oil and I took it straight to the dealer. They confirmed that my car is burning oil and want me to ride for another 1.5k miles(after they refilled the oil) to get a gauge on how much it is burning and they would go from there. It sucks, but I guess we'll see where they go from here after the 1.5k mark and I will provide an update.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
After decades of buying new cars with zero oil consumption, my 2 new Hondas are oil burners. My CRV started at 1/4-qt every 1K miles, and it's down to about 1/5-qt after 30K miles; not much improvement. My coupe started the same way, but it's down to almost zero the last 1K miles (3K now), but need to monitor it longer. Not even my M3 consumed no oil in its first 1,450 miles, even after driving it home for hundreds of miles near triple digits (and they're supposed to drink a little). Stupid Honda; they used to have much better tolerances.

I wouldn't let a dealer rip my engine apart for 1/4-qt every 1K miles. Maybe even up to 1/2-qt every 1K, but anything more than that, I'd weigh my options. Unfortunately, every time I've read about trying to fix it ends up worse, so you're between a rock and a hard place. Keep us posted man.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I guess you guys got unlucky or maybe something is really wrong with your engines.

I did my first oil change around 10000 kms (around 6200 miles) and switch to synthetic right there. The syn oil is "honda" brand, I have no clue what's trully in it. Anyway, I always get my car stuff done at the dealer.

Anyway, now I'm at 15000 kms (around 9300 miles) and still no trace of oil burning. I have a 08 6-6 coupe. I do ride it rough at times and I do half city and highway driving.

During my last long trip, around 900kms one way, I manage to get 7.3L/100km (around 32.2MPG) so it's pretty good. I really love that 3.5 V6 and have no problem so far with the ride. I never got better than 9L/100 km before switching to synthetic. So I guess it's really improving engine performance.

Good luck with your rides. I hope for you that's a simple fix.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I agree about checking the oil regularly. But, any oil usage beyond about a half qt in a 5000 mile interval is unacceptable to me.

My '04 might use barely an 1/8th. The 1998 J30 that's here at 232,000 miles only uses 1/2 qt per 5000.
Yep I would have to agree. Our 95 which is almost 15 years old, has 130,000+ miles does not burn any noticeable oil.

I'm not an engineer but have some of the 7th gen owners seen this issue? I'm wondering if the 5W 20 has something to do with all of these problems. When Honda used 5W 30 I didn't hear as many issues.

Oh and my sister's 08 I-4 burned enough which I noticed the level in the drain bucket. I never measured how much but it had to have been at least a quart and we used Mobil One synthetic 5W 20.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yep I would have to agree. Our 95 which is almost 15 years old, has 130,000+ miles does not burn any noticeable oil.

I'm not an engineer but have some of the 7th gen owners seen this issue? I'm wondering if the 5W 20 has something to do with all of these problems. When Honda used 5W 30 I didn't hear as many issues.

Oh and my sister's 08 I-4 burned enough which I noticed the level in the drain bucket. I never measured how much but it had to have been at least a quart and we used Mobil One synthetic 5W 20.
My old 01 Accord with 165k miles didn't burn any oil with 5w20 oil.

·
Accord Power
336 Posts
There is an apparent problem with some 2008 V6 VTEC engines related to a valve seal problem (i still don't have the details).

Since I bought my Accord in Oct 2007, it's burned through more oil than expected between changes.

The dealer has been blaming me for waiting too long between changes, but I just brought it back after 3000 miles for a service issue since the last oil change and it was two quarts low! They tried to say this was normal at first until they found a valve seal problem.

Parts are on back-order "because there are other cars with the same problem".

Keep an eye on the oil if you're relying on the dealer to change it. You could have the problem w/o even knowing during the warranty period and get screwed later.

It may be just me, but is an engine supposed to be burning oil? It only acts as a lubercant for the pistons.

Also, Honda anoys me with their crappy parts. Consumer complaints lists many complaints for honda cars than does Toyota.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Follow-up to '08 Oil Burning VTEC Engines

I really appreciate the replies, thanks to everyone.

I wasn't aware that this oil problem can cause other problems mentioned in this thread. I'll be sure the dealer knows I am aware of this and try to get some extended warranty on them. I've only got 3,000 miles left before the warranty ends.

I've owned a 1994, 2001 and now this 2008 Accord, not to mention two Honda motorcycles and one Honda ATV. I obviously am a big fan of the manufacturer and hate to see them blow it on this problem if they don't handle it correctly.

The dealer is off to a really bad start, but writing a letter to Honda sounds like a great idea to make sure I am covered down the road.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Azn Domination
123 Posts
sounds like alot of people are unlucky... or im just real lucky. I don't have any oil burn issues, and i have 10k miles... knock on wood.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What was your average speed and RPM during this trip?
115-120 km/h average using the info in my little Garmin.

(so around 15-20 above limit, but hey, it was a nice weather and all :thmsup: )

it's about 71-75 MPH.

I would say, RPM is below 3k. Somewhere around that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts