Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've changed the oil two times so far on my '08 I4 Accord Ex since i got it in August, at ~4800 and ~10200 miles, both times the MM read 50% oil life. I checked the oil before changing it the second time and was shocked to see that the level only came up to just below the bottom mark on the dipstick! I have been reading oil change posts for a while today, and it seems that the consensus is that a little bit of a drop in the oil level is normal during the break in period, but such a large drop seems a bit extreme (i would imagine that its not safe for the oil level to be below the line). I did everything according to specs when i changed it the first time (4.5 quarts of 5W20 and the dealer filter) and i didn't notice any leaks or anything else out of order when i changed it the second time. So should i be worried??

In the mean time i've just been monitoring the oil level on a weekly basis and so far everything seems ok, but i've put on less than 1k since the last change. Also, i realize there seems to be about a 50/50 split on here about if you should change every 3000/5000/whatever miles, or just listen to the MM. i'm going w/ ~4000 from here on out, for peace of mind, especially after seeing the level drop so drastically! Thanks

-eric

6,325 Posts
I always thought you were supposed to check the oil level when it was warm.
Checking the oil when its cold allows for the oil at the top of the engine to drain down to the bottom half of the engine where oil dipstick goes into the lower block giving you a more accurate reading.

When you check the ATF fluid you do so immediately after shutting the car off.

Another fluid you can check cold is the coolant level and not thru the overflow tank. When the car is cold take the radiator cap off and make sure the coolant is at the top of the radiator. Make sure to properly tigten the cap when done. At this time the overflow tank level should be btwn the lower and high marks.

6,325 Posts
yup, it was cold when i checked it.
I wouldn't be worried about it. Just continue what you've been doing by checking the level regularly. Check it at least every 2 weeks. Also keep the oil topped off. If you have the dealer changing the oil buy some Mobil Clean 5000 proper oil grade and top off with that.

I'm guessing you do a fair amt of hwy driving. If your going 80mph + back off a little and I bet your consumption goes down. Also going easy on the throttle may help. You will be perfectly fine changing the oil at 5k esp when the MM is around 50%. Uoa's back up the MM perfectly.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I to mostly (at least 80%) highway driving, and i usually try to take it easy on the throttle (its amazing how much that effects mpgs). I'll continue to keep an eye on it and change the around 50%. Thanks.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Well, my 2 new Hondas burn oil, something that never happened on any of my new cars (including 3 other Hondas), break-in period or not. Honda, and every other manufacturer says up to 1-qt every 1K miles is normal, but that's crap. I'd raise big time hell at 1/2-qt, by the way, but at 1/4-qt, it'd be a waste of time to fight.

The CRV now has 25K+ miles, and has burned 1/4-qt every 1K miles since day 1. Was hoping it was a break-in issue, but no such luck. My wife drives it, and just as all my other cars, break-in by the book and driven under same circumstances as previous cars.

My 6-6 has less than 3K miles, and is also burning 1/4-qt every 1K miles. Hope THIS time is a break-in issue, but obviously I'm not holding my breath.

You should ALWAYS check your oil every 1K miles man, check for consumption (and trends), and top off. And always at the same spot and stone cold, so circumstances are identical every time. Take care.

· Registered
353 Posts
Mine has burning some with the factory fill only (down to 3/4 on the dip stick); never add any make-up and dump the factory fill at 10% on OLM. No burning issue after. I put 5W-20 synthetic.
I heard people solve consumption problem by putting 5W-30; maybe should try mix the 5W-30 with 5W-20 or consider synthetic!

· Registered
92 Posts
Synthetics usually burn off faster than regular oil. If your burning oil, try castrol gtx. I've read a few good reviews of it in regards to oil use. My accord typically uses 1/2 quart every 5000 miles with synthetic and that seems to be pretty typical of our cars. Just about every honda uses a little bit of oil.

· Registered
240 Posts
Before my first change the car used about 1 litre of oil but since its first change now as been used to date about 12,000kms on the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.