Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
So I'll start this off with the cars story. My dad is letting me buy his 2008 EX-L V6 Accord.

The engine was blown a few years back and it's just been sitting. I've now sold my 96 5 spd Accord and im looking for an engine to replace the blown one in the 08. And before I get asked... No there's no way to rebuild the block. (Con rod flew out of the side of the block because of my Richard head brother not driving right.)

Anyway. I guess my question would be if I buy a used motor what should I do on the side of reliability to keep my new jewel from grenading itself before I through it in its new home? I'm guessing I should inspect the timing assembly and probably replace it from the get go. But does anyone have any other things I should do to keep it running reasonably?

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
All timing related components for sure. Perhaps the valve cover gaskets since it's not too bad access.

Registered
If I were in the same situation I would replace the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, tensioner pulley and idler pulley. These are included in a set from Aisin. Or you could buy the similar parts from a Honda dealership. Might as well also replace the spark plugs and drive belt. I agree with swapping the valve cover gaskets. I would intentionally leave the main seals in place since I have heard replacing them when they are not leaking can, ironically, cause them to leak. Not sure where you are buying the engine from but it would be good if it came with some sort off warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.