Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm planning to replace my 2003 Camry with the 10G Honda Accord. I test drove the 2.0T Sport and liked the car very much. It has ample low-end acceleration plus it comes loaded with features. I live in N.C and dealers nearby here doesn't have any 2018 sport 2.0T. The cheapest one I can find is a new 2019 Sport 2.0T with selling price of $27k ( not including TTL and Dealer Doc. Fee). I found a used 2018 sport 2.0T with 17k miles and the selling price around $22.5k from a private party.

Should I spend around 7k more to buy a new 2019 sport 2.0T or get the used one with 17k miles ? What are all the items do I need to inspect before buying car from a private party ?

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you were talking about new v. used at the same dealer and it's only 17k miles, I would recommend going used with a thorough inspection and a long (overnight?) test drive.

I'm not sure I'd buy a $20k+ car from a private party. You have a much easier path of recourse if things go wrong with a dealer than with some random guy selling his car on the internet.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,782 Posts
I buy used, 3-yr old lease turn-ins, CPO from a dealer. $7k is a pocketful way more than I'm willing to pay. Nor would ever I pay $22k for the 2018. Go to Edmonds.com to find out the retail value for your area. Then subtract at least $2k and make an offer. They don't bite, walk.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Always have a real mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection of the used vehicle, even from a dealer. I've traded in two cars that were in wrecks (1 of them really bad) that did not show up in the CarFax. Same thing with my girlfriend.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Edmunds put an “outstanding” 2018 Accord Sport 2.0-10AT with 17,000 miles, private sale, at $24,485. Dealer trade in is $22,928. Edmunds is usually a few percent high. If you lowered both prices by 5%, the private sale value should be around $23,200, which implies the asking price of $22,500 is already very good. Plus, you will not pay for any documentation fee. If you can get lower, that would be better, but $22,500 seems very good already.

The 2018 Accord still has full B2B warranty. Therefore you have no worries if the car has any hidden problems. Just take it to any Honda service department as you would if you bought a new car. Just make sure the car was never in an accident. (Why is the car being sold?)

I guess the real question regards depreciation versus value. Is saving $5,000 (before doc and taxes) worth it? That’s about 18%, which is perfectly in line with the car’s annual depreciation rate. If you can get the car for a grand or more less, that might make the decision easier.

However, did you intend to trade in your current car? Do you want that money to buy this next car? Do you need financing to buy this car? How difficult is it in your state to register the car if you buy it privately? Does the current owner have a loan on the car that needs to get paid off before he can give you title? How will that work? Do you pay him/her the full amount and wait? If you need a loan, can you even get a loan on this car from a bank before the bank gets title and is listed as the primary lien holder? I suppose a Home Equity loan could get around that problem, provided you have already gone through that process and have a credit amount approved. There may be other variables in the equation that may justify spending more to buy a brand new car, which of course will last one year longer.

In the end $22,500 seems like a good price, provided everything else falls into place.

·
Registered
100 Posts
All depends on YOU. You do not know WHY used car with 17K is on sale. Did previous owner abused it like crazy or baby it? Did (s)he do 'proper' brake in? Why would anybody sell 1 year old car with only 17K? It is a big loss for previous owner. Are there hidden damages nor mechanic neither dealer can see?
2.0T is gas pedal magnet - you cannot resist pushing it like crazy. No mechanic or test will show engine/turbo condition.
There is NO difference between '18 and '19 cars and now back to you: how much $7K is worth to you and your piece of mind?
I personally will NEVER buy used,period. Especially not from lease as those who lease KNOW they will return car and they do not car about car condition at all.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I personally will NEVER buy used,period. Especially not from lease as those who lease KNOW they will return car and they do not car about car condition at all.
It's your money, but assuming leased cars were abused is ridiculous. The lease-end inspections on those cars are meticulous and are backed by consequences ($$$) to the lessee if they return the car with damage. On average, I bet leased cars are in better condition after three years of ownership than "owned" (typically financed) cars. Leased cars aren't modified beyond window tint, they usually don't have excessive mileage, should always be under warranty (so repairs are completed when necessary), etc.

Many people that purchase also KNOW they will trade the car in after a few years to get something newer. The only difference is that they feel like they're throwing money away if they don't "own" a car, even though they come out ahead financially if trades occur on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replies. I inquired the owner about the reason for selling his accord. He told he wants to upgrade to a SUV (Seems funny as the new accord has mid-size SUV levels of space). I agree that buying a new car will help avoid a lot of headaches but I considered this deal due to the fact that it is a Honda (Reliability) plus similar used accords are selling for around 25k which is close to the price of new one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its a Honda...exactly. With one exception, I have always bought my Hondas used. The absolute key is, as someone else above mentions, to bring it to a mechanic you trust (alot). I buy it about ~3 yrs old. I have never been burned (primarily due to inspection) and keep them an average of 10 yrs. This is in addition to a "certification" and "etest" that each used car must go through that covers mechanical and internals, respectively.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I could have gotten a used one for what you found I would have done that in a heartbeat. Get an inspection as suggested. Feel out the seller. You can kind of get at least half an idea of whether they are the type to abuse it or not. If it has been abused, it will have signs. Dents, scratches, curb rash, unevenly worn tires, grime in crevices in the interior, etc. If all of that is within your comfort zone, go for it. $7k is too much to pay for 17,000 miles and half the warranty period in my opinion, especially when the cars are identical. If you are financing, most banks and credit unions will consider that car new, so even interest rate won't be an issue. If you are really worried about longevity, you could look into having the buyer purchase Honda Care before he signs over everything. It can be transferred once between private parties. I am not sure the logistics of all of that and how feasible it is, but it could be worth looking into.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi DA community,

After a long car search process, I have finally decided to buy the new 2020 Accord Sport 2.0T with 10 AT. I read some reviews online complaining about the tire/wind noise coming into the cabin and the car is very noisy on highways. I'm not expecting Lexus levels of noise isolation but is the NVH of the sport model tolerable for day-to-day city driving and occasional highway trips ? Also is there a way to protect the 19 inch wheels from Curb rash ?

Thanks in Advance.

·
HK Moderator
13,425 Posts
but is the NVH of the sport model tolerable for day-to-day city driving and occasional highway trips ?
Yes. The Accord was designed to be tolerable for day-to-day driving.

Also is there a way to protect the 19 inch wheels from Curb rash ?
Don't hit curbs....best defense against curb rash.

You can always look at reviews of the noise-reducing wheels as well as adding sound insulation to your Accord. Everyone who has done this asks, "Why didn't I do it sooner?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. The Accord was designed to be tolerable for day-to-day driving.

Don't hit curbs....best defense against curb rash.

You can always look at reviews of the noise-reducing wheels as well as adding sound insulation to your Accord. Everyone who has done this asks, "Why didn't I do it sooner?"
@RickBlaine Thanks for the suggestion. How is the ride with 17 inch wheels in EX-L ? I couldn't drive one as my local dealership had only sport and touring during the test drive.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Find another dealer. Noise is subjective. I find the ride of the sport wheels to be a little loud, but I don't mind it. Others have torn their cars apart and installed yards of sound deadening material.

·
2006 Accord EX
1,295 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I inquired the owner about the reason for selling his accord. He told he wants to upgrade to a SUV (Seems funny as the new accord has mid-size SUV levels of space).
Maybe...but it doesn't have AWD.

I agree that buying a new car will help avoid a lot of headaches but I considered this deal due to the fact that it is a Honda (Reliability) plus similar used accords are selling for around 25k which is close to the price of new one.
As long as the car's been well maintained with good records that they can show you or produce from a dealer, sounds like a decent deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts