Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums and I wanted to get a few of your opinions. I'm going to be buying the v6 coupe in another month or so (letting a few more paychecks roll in to add on to the down payment). I'm split 50/50 on color choices. Modern Steel Metallic looks more mature/refined to me, but that Still Night Pearl just pops!

I realize that color choice is completely based on opinion, so I didn't come here to ask you guys which color you liked more.... however, I wanted to know for those of you who have bought the two colors (MSM, SNP), have you had any problems? Or heard that one color is more prone to defects than the other?

Additionally, how far back from other cars do you guys normally drive to avoid rock chips? I've never had a new car so this is something that I wouldn't have worried about until now. 2 car lengths?

I apologize for the "stupid" questions... I've been roaming the forums for a while and value the community's feedback, just wanted to see if you guys had any input, thanks!

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
I have WOP, a great white but it's the only tricolor paint so if you have to get something painted it's more work/money.

The paint job's on our Accord's are super cheap. It doesn't matter how far back you are! My advice is to get a clear bra, I covered up 50-75 small chips after my first year (Dr ColorChip works great!), and 90+% of them where where the clear bra would have covered. If your paint jobs matters to you look at the premium brands, most of which seem to have good paint jobs that don't chip as easily as our Accord's.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've got a 2013 V6 Coupe, I would recommend a clear bra for at least the front bumper.

Unfortunately I got a nasty rock chip last week, still bummed about it. Tore the paint right off...

·
Elvira - the car
3,496 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think Honda tends to put a slightly thicker clear coat on medium to darker colors. This isn't saying much as the clear on Hondas is very soft and thin, but every little bit helps. So you can't go wrong with MSM.

Tailgating is the #1 contributor to rock chips. As such I always hang back as much as possible and am constantly scouting for dump trucks, big rigs, etc.

However, rock chips are going to be inevitable if your car is a daily driver. People advise clear bras but the idea of putting one on for anything less than a high end sports car just doesn't make much sense to me. Also, I've seen chips hit the edges of the clear bra where its left unprotected.

Best advice is to go with a darker color like MSM, do not tail gate, possibly getting a clear bra if that's your preference.

And finally, strive for excellence not perfection.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys! I definitely will be more careful about tailgating (it's tough in daily rush hour though). I was planning on ordering Dr. Colorchip once I decided on a color for the car.

As far as the clear bra goes, I've read that it can actually do more harm than good if moisture or rocks get underneath it. I think my best bet is to just drive as carefully as possible and apply Dr. ColorChip as I discover rock chips. Once it gets too bad I can always have the car painted. Has anyone had their accord re-painted with a higher quality paint? What was the damage to your wallet?

As always, I appreciate the responses!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about it, but I like the look of the 2015 WAY better. The 2016 front end looks like a civic. Much less aggressive in my opinion

·
Registered
701 Posts
Dr. Paint Chip is an interesting product but it seems the results vary from car to car and owner to owner.

My brother tried it on his white 2010 lexus is250 and he said it didn't work. Maybe it depends on how deep the chip is and what type of paint you have...

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
I have the Belize Blue Pearl which I did not pick out... got it used. I get comments on it all the time. I rarely had comments on my red coupe nor the gunmetal color I had on a Mazda before that. Well... I had comments about the car being nice, but very few people that commented on the color. I didn't love the blue at first... but it's grown on me.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Dr. Paint Chip is an interesting product but it seems the results vary from car to car and owner to owner.

My brother tried it on his white 2010 lexus is250 and he said it didn't work. Maybe it depends on how deep the chip is and what type of paint you have...
It sounds like its a sort of clear coat filler. In that case, if the chip has gone down to bare metal I don't think dr paint chip will work. You'd have to do the old school pain staking method of gradually building up the paint layers with touch up paint, then wet sanding, and then polishing until its all leveled out. Also, if its a filler then expect the "repair" to wear off over time which would require a reapplication.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got mine a week ago and I personally love it! Came from a Lexus is350 which I liked better because of rwd and 300hp but other than that this cars amazing! Just avoid trucks without mud guards and you're good!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just got mine a week ago and I personally love it! Came from a Lexus is350 which I liked better because of rwd and 300hp but other than that this cars amazing! Just avoid trucks without mud guards and you're good!
how does the accord stack up to the lexus? Obviously, the lexus will be better but I'm curious on your opinion as to how much better it is than the accord.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the Belize Blue Pearl which I did not pick out... got it used. I get comments on it all the time. I rarely had comments on my red coupe nor the gunmetal color I had on a Mazda before that. Well... I had comments about the car being nice, but very few people that commented on the color. I didn't love the blue at first... but it's grown on me.
Yeah I definitely think the blue has more pop! It's such a nice color, I will probably continue to go back and forth until the day I buy it. I think I'll always want the color that I didn't choose no matter what, but also be satisfied with the color I did/do choose. I think both colors, when washed and waxed properly, look great. So it's a win win haha

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
Yeah I definitely think the blue has more pop! It's such a nice color, I will probably continue to go back and forth until the day I buy it. I think I'll always want the color that I didn't choose no matter what, but also be satisfied with the color I did/do choose. I think both colors, when washed and waxed properly, look great. So it's a win win haha
I work at a dealer... every time I see a new V6 EX-L coupe pulled up for delivery, that becomes the color I want.... all of them. Seriously, every color looks great. I'd take any one of them.... except black. The black looks amazing, but I'm not dedicated enough to the upkeep to keep it looking that clean.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I work at a dealer... every time I see a new V6 EX-L coupe pulled up for delivery, that becomes the color I want.... all of them. Seriously, every color looks great. I'd take any one of them.... except black. The black looks amazing, but I'm not dedicated enough to the upkeep to keep it looking that clean.
I think the only colors I wouldn't mind the car in are the brown and the black. The white too (I loved the white at first, but it just doesn't have the same shine or pop as the MSM or SNP). The white is almost an off-white and it never looks 100% clean to me. Just from what I've seen. But yeah, the car looks great in all colors for sure!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Black is not that bad as long as you keep a good coat of wax on it and use a California Car Duster. The wax will keep the dust from sticking and the CCD will remove it without scratching the paint. Granted you don't want to use the CCD to try and remove dirt, if the car is dirty wash it..lol... If it doesn't rain I can keep my black car clean for a week with no problems. I pull it out of the garage in the morning when the car is cold and lightly run the CCD over the car. It looks as good as a fresh wash for a week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I'm a fanatic about my car and keeping the paint fresh. I drive about 1.5 hours a day to and from work and I know I wouldn't be able to keep the black as clean as I would like. MSM has more of a metallic look and looks cleaner longer I think

1 - 20 of 41 Posts