Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Accord VP and when i turn the ignition switch forward to the point right before the car is going to turn on there is a soft buzzing noise coming from under the driver's side dash or somewhere in the steering column. Yesterday i was spraying Meguiar's plastic/dash protectant on the steering wheel and all over the dash. I don't know if maybe it leaked down into a crevice and got on some exposed wires. I just find it odd because i've never heard this noise until today and now every time i start the car i hear a buzz sound. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

·
Registered
1 Posts
buzzing noise when turning ignition

Hey i have an 2003 honda accord sedan ex and i am having the same issue. has anyone figured it out? i had the buzzing for about a month now but lately it has gotten really bad. it takes like 10 tries to start the ignition. One guy told me i need a starter but I think its an electric problem. so any help is appreciated. thanks.

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,380 Posts
My car's done that a few times since I bought it new. But it only happens if I turn the key too slowly going from the ON (II) position to the START (III) position or if the key is kept too long at the position right before getting to the START (III) position.... like when I get distracted.

If I turn the key at a normal speed, making sure it gets to the START (III) position, then there's no problem. So maybe you're not turning the key quickly enough or far enough to get to the START (III) position? :dunno:

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,426 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2007 accord vp.. same exact sound and spot, its not because of the mequires though. Dosent happen all the time but now that someone mentions it does seem like it happens when i turn the ignition on slowly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In my car there is a soft buzzing sound when I do this that seems to be related to the ABS system because when it stops the ABS indicator light turns off as well. It only lasts for a second or so when the key is turned to the Start position. It has always done this and it is noticeable only when turning the key slowly to this position without actually starting the engine. I normally don't hear it because the a/c blower has already kicked in by then. I never turn the a/c off.

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,380 Posts
I'm aware of the fuel pump hum which occurs when you turn the key to the ON (II) position. This is not the fuel pump since

1. it's coming from the steering column.
2. it sometimes occurs when you turn the key from ON (II) position to START (III) position.
3. noise is more electricity-like than a hum.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,455 Posts
If you don't turn the key too slowly, and it stays between on, and start, for any length of time, you will here the buzzer. I have a surgically repaired wrist, and it's hard for me to turn the key all the way from off to start, so I have heard the buzzing a lot over the 9 years I've owned the car. It's just the car trying to tell you not to keep the key in that position.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same Here

I have the same problem on my 2008 Accord, this happens usually in the morning and I can't replicate it afterwards, I was thinking on an electrical problem too... I bought the car 5 months ago, and this started just recently when it got cold in Atlanta (maybe just a coincidence).

·
Registered
859 Posts
Someone told me that before starting your car (expecially in the winter) you should turn the key to ON (II) for 5-10 seconds before turning it to START (III). This way it allows fuel to be ****ed up slowly through a hose because the car is anticipating a start. Otherwise the fuel is forced through the hoses causing strain on sed hoses. Not sure if this is true but I've always associated that noise with something to do with the fuel pump. I hear this noise in both my parents vehicles as well (Pontiac and Dodge)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just encounted this same problem tonight with my 05 EX coupe, v6 vtech model, 83,000 on it We got the car in February and I never noticed it. But as others have said, I think I may have been turning the key too slowly, and then stopped because the noise freaked me out. I turned it off and on again a few times and noticed the quicker I turned the key, it didn't make the sound. I'm glad I found this thread, it makes me feel a lot better to see other people are experiencing this and it may not be an issue.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have had that sound a few times. It is reproducable when the key is turned too slowly. It sounds to me like electrical arching across contacts. I would highly suggest not allowing this to happen unless you want a new ignition. Every other time I have heard a similar noise bad things have happened.

·
Registered
87 Posts
SO GLAD i found this thread...

got a 06 accord, this buzzing / electricity contact noise is getting more frequent and car will not start. i thought my car was the only car that did this and probably will be a hard to diagnose problem. sounds like i m not alone!

noise is coming straight from the steering wheel column.

its a rapid buzz, and usually if i stop cranking, and recrank it will be ok. if i keep going while its buzzing, there will be no start noise, and dash lights will go out

battery is new

it happens more frequently if the car is cold or not recently driven

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,426 Posts
I'd like to report that I havent had the buzzing noise for several months now. Weird how it all of a sudden went away....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went to Honda Dealership

Had this problem and was afraid that eventually the car wouldn't start so I took it in to a Honda dealership.

They told me that the problem is not worth fixing as it will not get any worse and you just have to turn the key faster. It's been about a month since I took it in and it hasn't been any issue. They were right, turning the key faster helped a lot and I don't have a problem starting the car anymore.

They printed out the page from their own diagnostic manual:
"Starter Relay Buzzes: If you turn the ignition switch very slowly to start the engine, all Honda models except Passport have this little quirk: the starter relay buzzes. If your customer complains about it, don't spend your time trying to fix it: there's really nothing wrong. Just tell your customer to turn the ignition switch a little faster, and the relay won't buzz."

Personally, I think that they understated how quickly one should turn the key.. but it works!

·
Registered
5 Posts
this is happening to my 2005 accord v6 also.. i also here a flapping noise in steering column area .. will only start if i turn the key really fast..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts