Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,426 Posts
I still havent heard this noise since the last time I had it which has been many many months ago. I guess now I'm just used to turning the key fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starter Relay Buzzes and Hard Cranks anyone? Have answer sort of.

Hi everyone. just found this forum when i asked a question. The question all of you have. i have a 2003 honda and have had the buzzing for years, along with long crank issues. In December 2011, i needed a replacement key so i dropped off my accord at a honda dealership i won't name. They said the car wouldn't start. They replaced the starter and relay which cost a lot. The car was okay for awhile but the issues came back later. Just a few days ago, i needed something done for on my exhaust system. This time i went to a mechanic who is a long time aquantanace of my father. I mentioned the buzzing and hard cranks. He showed me a manufacturers printout entitled STARTER RELAY BUZZES. "If you turn the ignition switch very slowly to start the engine, all Honda models except Passport have this little quirk; the starter relay buzzes. If your customer complains about it, DON'T spend time trying to fix it; there's really nothing wrong. Just tell your customer to turn the ignition switch a little faster, and the relay won't buzz." Hope that helps! Still Love my Honda Accord, 120k and still going. Just need to find a trustworthy mechanic after this one retires soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey i have an 2003 honda accord sedan ex and i am having the same issue. has anyone figured it out? i had the buzzing for about a month now but lately it has gotten really bad. it takes like 10 tries to start the ignition. One guy told me i need a starter but I think its an electric problem. so any help is appreciated. thanks.
I was just wondering if you ever figured out what was causing this. They tried to tell me it was my starter so i changed it and it is still doing it. I have checked all the fuses and relays as well I am starting to wonder if it is my ignition switch please any help at all would be great [email protected]

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,455 Posts
I was just wondering if you ever figured out what was causing this. They tried to tell me it was my starter so i changed it and it is still doing it. I have checked all the fuses and relays as well I am starting to wonder if it is my ignition switch please any help at all would be great [email protected]
Does your car fail to start? If the buzzing noise is the only issue, just turn the key quicker. If it fails to start, it could be the ignition switch, or the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys!
Actually my car is Hyundai Accent 2009 but i have the same issue. This sound when i switch to ignition. Even when the engine is on, that sound is still there. Even when im running slow or fast, that sound is still there. Its like its coming from steering wheel column or under the dashboard. The latest activity to my car is that i changed my AC compressor 2days ago. Only that, nothing else. Do you think theres something wrong to the compressor installation?
Anybody knows whats that sound?
Thanks in advance sirs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The sound may be part of the anti-theft immobilizer system, after the key is recognized something mechanical (that to me reminds me of a soft power antenna sound with a "ping" at the end) occurs allowing the fuel pump to work or not (noise is not the fuel pump itself but part of the relay & ECU system). I am currently having random trouble with the immobilizer and starting my car. I can almost tell 100% of the time if my car will start or just start...sputter then die. I hear the power antenna "buzz", my car starts normal...I don't hear that noise and car doesn't start. So be glad you hear that noise.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think this buzz noise has something to do with having a well-charged or brand new battery. My car did this when i had a newer car battery in it almost 5 years ago now. Then over time the noise went away and i completely forgot about it. I put a new Bosch battery in the car just over a week ago and this buzz sound happens again when you turn the key in the ignition.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,455 Posts
You just reminded me, I heard the buzz again today. Got in the car after lunch, turned the key too slowly, and there it was. Turned the key a little more and it started right up. My battery is not new. Due to a surgically repaired wrist, it's hard for me to turn the key all the way from off to start, so I probably hear it more often than most.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same issue about a day after I bought my used 2006 Accord was worried I bought a lemon until I replicated the issue a few times. If you turn the key very slowly you will hear it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replace the ignition switch opposite of the key switch underneath the column cover, $25 part, fixed my 2012 Accord. This is a know issue, but some of the dealers still do not know it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I broke my key off the other night when starting my 2007 Honda Accord EX. Recovered all parts and fixed me key, this problem occurred and I was super paranoid... None the less I did some research (and fixed they key) and replaced my ignition switch in my car. Problem solved!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replace the ignition switch opposite of the key switch underneath the column cover, $25 part, fixed my 2012 Accord. This is a know issue, but some of the dealers still do not know it.
I am pretty sure I have the same problem with my 2004 Accord. Did you get the part "after market" or from Honda directly?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts