Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Cabin noise has gone louder over the years, anyone else notice?

5K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  CarlR33 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I feel like the noise in my cabin has gone louder over the years... when I brought my accord in 06 and driving over speed of 65mph listening to music, I barely have to turn the volume above half way, and wind or tire noise is well controlled at this speed.. but now days after 4 years, I noticed that when I drive over 65mph and listening to music, I have to crank volume way over half way, I notice the tires are also making significant amount of noise over certain roads.

Does noise have something to do with old tires? Or is it because my weather stripe on my doors are just worn out and need replacement? If so, has anyone replaced their tire or weather strip and noticed a good amount of noise reduction?

PS. this is a 04 accord.

Thanks for ya help :notworthy

#2 ·
new tires are usually very quite. as time passes, then make more noise and that is what you usually hear in the cabin. weather seals if lubricated (armor all), once in a while will keep them from cracking and helps them do their job better.

fyi..things tend to get louder as we age...we prefer quiet more and more the older we get....LOL

#4 ·
i was just going to make a thread about this exact same problem.
my 07 sedan sure feels a lot louder this year compared to the last 2. It cant be the tires alone as ive been through 3 sets and i know what the tire noise sounds like when the tires get a bit worn.

the sound is the 'whooshing' sound as if there is air flowing through the car.
as it get pretty hot here, regularly over 120+ F could it be my door seals or some other parts need replacement? they dont look worn tbh

another reason i can think of is i have taken the front bumper off about 3-4 times this year. could it be that some panels dont line up perfect (it looks fine to me), especially the area above the wheels?

#6 ·
I noticed this too, but when I installed a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on my 2006 @ over 60,000 miles, the Primacy(ie)s made my car suddenly quiet again. Awesome tires, SO quiet! Highly recommend them. They stick pretty well too.

#7 ·
I bet it's both the seals and tires. I know my seals are cracking, getting worn, even starting to lose its shape. Do you have any issue with the car being overly sensitive to exterior temperatures?

#10 ·
The above revealed that maybe I didn't make my point strongly enough: Having owned over 30 cars in the last 30 years of driving, plus having rented numerous cars, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires are by far the QUIETEST tires I've ever experienced. (except for a Rolls Royce I once rode in but all bets are off on that thing)

#12 ·
I haven't noticed more road noise, but the exhaust has gotten louder especially when cold.

When I merge onto the highway in the am at temps below about 45 it's audible, where it really never was before, and stays like that for about 2 miles at 80 to 110 mph. Usually its loudest at 2600 revs.

No leaks that I can see or hear when outside the car.

Road noise can increase just due to bushing sag and wear. If your car has a sunroof, close the sunshade, does it get quieter? Mine does, very noticeably.

As far as tires, I'll agree the stock Michelins were very quiet, but horrible in nearly every other way. The General Exlaim UHP that I have for summer are only a tiny bit noisier. My winter Dunlop Winter Sport M3s aren't.

Take a look at tire rack's surveys, it'll give you a good idea how quiet a tire is via people who've owned them. I can say I don't like Bridgestones (have used G009 and G019) on the '98, both cup and sound like massive mud tires. Can't stand it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.