Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably been covered, but I did try a search, maybe in the wrong forum...

Anyway, my wife's '04 Accord LX 2.4L has a CEL- don't recall the number but it's the one for secondary O2 sensor. How do I know which sensor to get, the California Emissions or the other 49?
One guy at Advance Auto said it's the sticker on the rear quarter window, the other guy said it's on the engine data plate under the hood (which does mention California), and when I called a local Honda Dealership the guy was at first unsure if the VIN would tell him, but then told me it was NOT California. He said the data plate would say KA (for the other 49) or KL (for CA). I can't find a KA or KL anywhere.

Does anyone here know how to really tell, and does it really matter? Would the regular one just not pass a California emissions test but work fine otherwise?

Thanks.

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,322 Posts
If you pop your hood (providing you have the OE hood), you should have an emissions sticker. If it says that this automobile is approved for sale in California, then it has California compliant emission devices (KL). If it doesn't say this, then it is approved for sale in all states except California (KA).

They list different part numbers for KA and KL systems when it comes to emission devices such as O2 sensors, so one could only assume that there are integral differences in the components.

·
Super Moderator
12,938 Posts
deyomatic: Your car may be 100% covered and will be repaired at no cost to you.

When you call Honda warranty at 800-999-1009, or go online at http://owners.honda.com/ (owner's link) you can give them the VIN but they will always say "Only your dealer can tell you if it is a PZEV or a SULEV". Basically, a PZEV will have the sticker on the driver's side rear quarter window.

Be ready with some knowledge when you stop at the stealership- some will act like they don't know about the 15 year/150,000 mile warranty.

BUT, to get the 150,000 mile warranty on all the goodies, you must have the car REGISTERED in either the great states of NY, VT, ME, MA, CT, and of course California......My car was originally from New York City so I am covered for 15 years IF I move back to one of those states.

This includes the ignition coil, the exhaust manifold, the catalytic converter, oxygen sensors, MAP sensor, the PCV valve, the injectors, Mass Airflow sensor, thermostat, and even spark plugs! Plus about 30 other things....

Honda wants to ensure that your car is putting out Partial or Zero Emissions- so they cover just about the whole intake and exhaust, plus many of the engine sensors.

Again, you must have the car registered in one of those states to get the free warranty.

And redhat is correct in that certain part numbers are different. e.g. For spark plugs, mine are gapped ever so slightly different than the "non-California" cars. By the way, we should probably stop saying "California emissions" as there are six additional states that have adopted Cali's standards- but if it works....

To answer your questions:
Yes, it does matter- the part numbers may well be different.
Your car will most likely still pass emissions even if you put the less stringent sensor in- because Hondas usually are some of the cleanest cars.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
It's probably been covered, but I did try a search, maybe in the wrong forum...

Anyway, my wife's '04 Accord LX 2.4L has a CEL- don't recall the number but it's the one for secondary O2 sensor. How do I know which sensor to get, the California Emissions or the other 49?
One guy at Advance Auto said it's the sticker on the rear quarter window, the other guy said it's on the engine data plate under the hood (which does mention California), and when I called a local Honda Dealership the guy was at first unsure if the VIN would tell him, but then told me it was NOT California. He said the data plate would say KA (for the other 49) or KL (for CA). I can't find a KA or KL anywhere.

Does anyone here know how to really tell, and does it really matter? Would the regular one just not pass a California emissions test but work fine otherwise?

Thanks.
Here is how you tell and yes, I think it does matter because it will need to be compatible with the ECU. The Honda O2 sensor (non-Calif) part number is 36532-RAA-A02. Denso is usually the Honda OEM part, so it doesn't need to be bought from the dealer.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,938 Posts
@Drew: Interesting read....here is a fun fact; Many California cars have to be modified (catalytic converter removed) and even have their ECUs re-programmed when they are shipped overseas to the secondary market because the regular gasoline there will light up your check engine light. Generally speaking, CA cars sell at a slight discount in those markets.

·
Super Moderator
12,938 Posts
Chris: That is correct. But look on the bright side- you live in Ohio! You are not far from the U.S. Air Force (go Air Force!) museum in Dayton. So stop complaining.

Story: A friend in Virginia had a messed up catalytic converter, heat shield rusted, and some bad oxygen sensors. He drove to a friend's house in New York, threw on his friend's New York license plates (just for the day) and went to the Honda dealer for warranty work. He wasn't in their system but he used his friend's New York address- and it worked.

Be proud of your PZEV, Chris. And do what I do- Lord it over the polluters on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
12,938 Posts
It is just strange that My car was orientally bought at a Honda dealer in Ohio, I'm the 2nd owner.
Actually, that is odd....why would an Ohioan order a PZEV?

I wonder if the original owner wanted an exact color/options combo and the closest one was a PZEV in New York- so the Ohio dealer bought it from a NY dealer? Or maybe he thought he would be moving to California at some point and wanted to register it there? Or maybe he just wanted to be the greenest guy out there NOT driving a Prius?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Stay away from Commifornia it is NOT, I repeat NOT car and gun friendly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I clicked the box for immediate responses to be emailed to me but neither account had any...

Thanks for all the info.

Rick,
Is there something in writing that I can take to Satan, er., my service manager at the local dealer? It's been registered in CT since we got it, in '05, and likely before that.

4G63...I used to have a '92 GSX...I miss that car- ported 16G, Buschur 2.5", 18psi on the street...it was fun.
...and CT wishes it was CA on the gun front.

Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wow, I clicked the box for immediate responses to be emailed to me but neither account had any...

Thanks for all the info.

Rick,
Is there something in writing that I can take to Satan, er., my service manager at the local dealer? It's been registered in CT since we got it, in '05, and likely before that.

4G63...I used to have a '92 GSX...I miss that car- ported 16G, Buschur 2.5", 18psi on the street...it was fun.
...and CT wishes it was CA on the gun front.

Thanks.
I still have my eclipse it also have as the Evo 16G turbo ported on the hot side with all the supporting modes on it... currently i has an exhaust leak before the muffler and its drinking gas like water :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like it's only CA, MA, ME, and VT... Unless I missed something somewhere. I can't upload it, but it starts off with:

© 2003 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved APL 25784 (0308)
1 of 1
Issued 8/5/03
2004 Accord 4-cylinder Federal
Emissions Warranty Parts List
for Vehicles registered and normally operated in the 46 states other than: California, Massachusetts,
Maine, or Vermont
This list details the components covered by your Federal Emi
ssions Warranties and the warranty duration in years and miles,
whichever comes first. For information on
your vehicle’s warranties, refer to the 2004 Warranties booklet in your glove box.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is a really old thread, but i came acros it on a google search. I am from MA and the car was bought and registered in MA since new. I was unaware of this warranty and been having exhaust, cat, and o2 sensor problems. The cat back has been replaced with aftermarket, as well as the upstream o2 sensor. Would that void this 15/150k warranty?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Story: A friend in Virginia had a messed up catalytic converter, heat shield rusted, and some bad oxygen sensors. He drove to a friend's house in New York, threw on his friend's New York license plates (just for the day) and went to the Honda dealer for warranty work. He wasn't in their system but he used his friend's New York address- and it worked.
And what about the nasty stickers the great state of New York adorns the windshields with?

"Fictitious Plates or Registration" will get you a fine and possibly a guest pass to see the inside of a holding cell. Car will be assumed stolen, impounded, registration suspended, plates will be seized. Significant risk, much to lose, not worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts