• Leave as stock

Votes: 7 16.7%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Crystal Black Pearle Accord Touring
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 sedan EX-L v6 with stock rims. The color of the car is silver. I want to paint the brake calipers so the rust does not show as much. What color? Black or red?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If you just gotta paint them............Black is where it's at.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
If you just gotta paint them............Black is where it's at.
+1....I went with black calipers and silver brackets on both my Accord and my Nissan 240sx:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would take it a step farther with powder coating. I will last longer then paint.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
By far the best paint to use is G2, it is an epoxy paint and does not flake off or fade and is always glossy. The only downside is once the epoxy is mixed you need to use it within 4 to 6 hours. You can find it online for around $40.

http://www.g2usa.com/

·
Honda Nation
1,678 Posts
Standard high temp black brake caliper paint. I painted my Prelude's calipers with it in 2003 and when I sold the car in 2010 all 4 calipers were still solid black and shiny when cleaned. Did the same thing to my Accord 2 years ago.

Its all in how you prep them. I used a steel brush wheel on my drill and went over them thoroughly, then brake dust cleaner with a high powered nozzle on the can. Then two coats of paint on each caliper.

If you do it on a hot day, when you reassemble everything it bakes in to the metal nicely as the brakes get hot.

I couldn't scratch the paint off now if I tried. It's baked into the metal.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Its all in how you prep them. I used a steel brush wheel on my drill and went over them thoroughly, then brake dust cleaner with a high powered nozzle on the can.
+1....The prep is the most important factor, not what the marketing boys at XYZ paint company want you to believe, but it is true.

I use Rustoleum Engine paint ($5 a can) and years later- still like new. But I spent an hour cleaning each caliper. :(

Lesson: Paint your calipers when the car is new! I did my cousin's 2013 Accord, and I spent 5 minutes cleaning each caliper. No rust.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I was planning to paint the calipers on my wife's EX, but the factory calipers actually look very nice so I am not sure if I'll paint them or not. I ask my wife what color she wanted and went on the G2 site, which has a very large selection if you go to the custom section. I thought we might pick something different, but she said she wanted red like I put on my truck.

I painted my Frontier calipers when the truck was new and the paint is still on them nearly 14 years late.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts