Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent far too many hours using the search function lately, and not in the mood to scour 23 more pages to make up my mind. I'd like to hear it from y'all instead of the 10 year old threads anyway. So, I'm looking at a moderate drop and still debating between springs/coilovers but i'll make up my mind soon. either way i know i need a camber kit, but i believe i saw on one of the threads that if you go with a more aggressive drop thru coilovers you'd need a 3 arm camber kit instead of just a single arm which is significantly more expensive - would that be true, or would the camber kit remain the same regardless of how much i drop? I see the j-powers are still for sale on amazon for a pretty good price so if i dont need the whole 3 arm kit I may just go with coilovers and the j-powers 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Furthermore at what point do you need camber kit/ball joints for the front? I was considering a ~3in drop but i keep hearing about the headaches that come with it and for a daily i'm not sure i want to take that leap

ziptie princess
  • what do you define as a "moderate" drop?
  • buy rucas, not the adjustable lower arms
  • i've literally never heard of j-power, and i've been around a minute
  • i have over a 3" drop, don't have a camber kit in the front, and my adjustable rucas are set to the stock length in the rear. no abnormal tire wear.
eta: this is my daily, too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
  • what do you define as a "moderate" drop?
  • buy rucas, not the adjustable lower arms
  • i've literally never heard of j-power, and i've been around a minute
  • i have over a 3" drop, don't have a camber kit in the front, and my adjustable rucas are set to the stock length in the rear. no abnormal tire wear.
eta: this is my daily, too.
no idea why i didn鈥檛 specify the exact drop in the initial post that鈥檚 mb but yeah around 3in maybe more depending on the coils i end up buying. i鈥檓 surprised you haven鈥檛 heard of j power tho, i鈥檝e seen you comment on damn near every post i鈥檝e read thru the search function and there鈥檚 been no shortage of that lately. if you could send me a link to the rucas you鈥檙e using/recommend i鈥檒l probably buy those and the coils and lock in my fitment finally

ziptie princess
yeah idk, they seem like one of those fly-by-night joints that just rebrands someone else's parts. not a whole lot different from budget coilovers i guess, and it's not like adjustable lower arms are that complicated to make, but suspension parts are something i generally am not willing to take a chance on.

anyway. i have megan racing rucas, i forget where i bought them (probably ebay) but they're... fine. nothing spectacular, but they're decent quality for the money and haven't done anything weird since i put them on however many years ago.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah idk, they seem like one of those fly-by-night joints that just rebrands someone else's parts. not a whole lot different from budget coilovers i guess, and it's not like adjustable lower arms are that complicated to make, but suspension parts are something i generally am not willing to take a chance on.

anyway. i have megan racing rucas, i forget where i bought them (probably ebay) but they're... fine. nothing spectacular, but they're decent quality for the money and haven't done anything weird since i put them on however many years ago.
yeah iirc they're apparently a subsidiary company of either ingalls or spc which is why some people went with them but there's a pretty significant price difference with j power being 70-80 for all 4 pieces vs the ones im seeing on ebay being about 120 per side. there's also these at 60 per side. idk, still gotta figure out what i wanna do for the actual drop anyway

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for the rucas you only need one per side, the megans end up being like 60/side that way.
midnight - what coils are you running? i was close to installing S-tech springs but i know coils are probably the way to go, was considering the tein basics and correct me if i鈥檓 wrong but it seems like transferring the oem top hats would be a pain in the ass. spring compressor and then there鈥檚 a chance they might not even be reusable after 94k-ish miles. i also thought about truhart but after doing some searching thru here鈥.. yeah i鈥檒l pass.

ziptie princess
midnight - what coils are you running? i was close to installing S-tech springs but i know coils are probably the way to go, was considering the tein basics and correct me if i鈥檓 wrong but it seems like transferring the oem top hats would be a pain in the ass. spring compressor and then there鈥檚 a chance they might not even be reusable after 94k-ish miles. i also thought about truhart but after doing some searching thru here鈥.. yeah i鈥檒l pass.
i have buddy club sport spec coils for the tsx. they're good for the price ($750 used) but could use stiffer springs, particularly in the front- they're 11k/5k, and the car wallows a bit more than i'd want. at some point i'll rebuilt them and go up to 12k/6k swift springs.

tein basis are garbo, there's no height adjustment independent of preload and as you've noted you have to use the oem top hats- not the worst thing in the world for ride quality but if you want to put in new ones it's just added cost that puts you closer to a better set of coils. the flex z is a better option from tein, but anything new under $1k is probably ass.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have buddy club sport spec coils for the tsx. they're good for the price ($750 used) but could use stiffer springs, particularly in the front- they're 11k/5k, and the car wallows a bit more than i'd want. at some point i'll rebuilt them and go up to 12k/6k swift springs.

tein basis are garbo, there's no height adjustment independent of preload and as you've noted you have to use the oem top hats- not the worst thing in the world for ride quality but if you want to put in new ones it's just added cost that puts you closer to a better set of coils. the flex z is a better option from tein, but anything new under $1k is probably ass.
ouch so i鈥檓 in a toss up between throwing on s techs and calling it a day or picking up Yonakas which i know are the same as truhart and godspeed etc 馃槪 thought about megan ez鈥檚 but i鈥檓 picking up a 5.0 in the spring so i鈥檓 not sure i want to dump a bunch of money into the daily anyway

ziptie princess
megans are literally the same as all the other sub-1k stuff with a different paint color

fwiw it's hard to go wrong with kyb struts and h&r springs, that was my go-to for a really long time. hit all the marks for drop, ride quality, and handling on a budget.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts