Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrade: Camry vs. Accord: Concerned About Honda QC

I've been loyal to the Honda badge my adult life.

Time to upgrade my 2009 Accord. It's had it's share of issues earlier than it should have (burning oil, and I'm out of the recall criteria for the 2008-2011's that have this issue). That's been disappointing.

Then I hear about the 1.5t oil dilution in the CR-V, which is what I wanted...until I've read how Honda has been evasive and very slow to address: that's scary.

I'm now looking at other brands, particularly Toyota or used Lexus for their reliability, but ever since the 2018 Accords came out and all the reviews beat Camry's, I have been seriously considering another Accord, the 2019.

Anyone going through the same dilemma regarding a new purchase and concerns over Honda QC? ...I know some have sold or traded in their 2018 Accords and it's too early to tell what the long-term reliability will be. The 2.0t's worry me a little bit, which is why I'm looking at the Camry V6's.

Cheers!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I love this car, but I came from a 2007 Sonata (that gave me zero issues). Love the handling, the looks, the power, the tech. Everyone that sees it loves it too.

Not to diminish anyone's issues, but forums are for problems, so it always seems worse than it is. Same goes for electronics forums, sports forums...

I fully expect to own this car as long as I did the Sonata. I did go with the 84-month bumper to bumper because of the electronics.

·
Need more BOOST
74 Posts
Go to a Toyota Camry forum and lurk around to see what they're complaining about. Join and ask questions if you have to.

ETA....I also bought a 100K mile warranty because both the engine and transmission are new designs.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
The 2018 Accords and Camrys are both brand new gens. They'll both have issues that will need addressing. Toyota's main issue was the quick shift from first to second. A TSB supposedly helped but didn't eliminate the issue completely. The Accords had more electrical issues with some 1.5T transmission failures.

I'm sure the 2019s are improved on both sides. I'd go with the 2019 Accord, just because it's a better looking car, IMO.

·
Turbo lag
2,709 Posts

Time to upgrade my 2009 Accord. It's had it's share of issues earlier than it should have (burning oil, and I'm out of the recall criteria for the 2008-2011's that have this issue). That's been disappointing.

Then I hear about the 1.5t oil dilution in the CR-V, which is what I wanted...until I've read how Honda has been evasive and very slow to address: that's scary.

I'm now looking at other brands, particularly Toyota or used Lexus for their reliability, but ever since the 2018 Accords came out and all the reviews beat Camry's, I have been seriously considering another Accord, the 2019.

Anyone going through the same dilemma regarding a new purchase and concerns over Honda QC? ...I know some have sold or traded in their 2018 Accords and it's too early to tell what the long-term reliability will be. The 2.0t's worry me a little bit, which is why I'm looking at the Camry V6's.

Cheers!
Honda's QC has been a problem recently. However, that's not necessarily means that you have to move to Toyota. What do you want in your cars is the most important question. Are you seeking fuel economy? Power? Driving feel? comfort? 2019s for both cars would be the better choice either way. Also, a Lexus means premium fuel. Are you willing to pay extra? If you commute a lot, that fuel price will add up quick.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
If a CRV is what you wanted, take a look at the 2019 RAV4 to be released shortly. That CRV dilution issue is a nightmare, even worse, the CRV 's apparently take time to heat up the cabin. Accords don't seem to have the dilution issue on either engine. Some concerns with shift quality in the 10 speed with the 2.0T.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,869 Posts
I have a 2009 Accord and it's been amazingly reliable and trouble free. I have to add a half-quart of oil maybe three times a year. I had a Camry in the early 90's and yeah, it was reliable but borrrrrrrrring. With all the overt and hidden electronics in modern vehicles, you're not going to find a trouble free car, not even close. Forget electronics for a second, cars are mass manufactured machines and as such they are imperfect. It just a matter of how imperfect.

Reactions: KW2004Accord

·
2018 Accord Hybrid EX-L
136 Posts
You'll find people who will have issues with Toyota as well, it's a matter of fact when a brand is putting out hundreds of thousands of vehicles per year. Honda might be having issues with the CR-V but Toyota has had plenty of it's own issues in the past with things like frames rusting on Tacoma/Tundras and other issues. And there is always the chance you get a lemon. My other car is a 2017 CX-5 that I've had nothing but issues with. Vibrations that physically shake the wheel, clunking noises from the suspension, etc, but Consumer Reports has it as the number one compact SUV ahead of the Rav4 and CR-V.

I knew I wanted a hybrid and pretty much narrowed it down to the Camry and Accord. I actually like the way the non SE Camry's look a lot but the biggest factors for me were the lack of Apple CarPlay on the Camry pre-2019, the worse looking interior in my view, and the lack of certain features unless you went to the top trim levels for the Camry. The Accord just fit the bill much better. Plus, there were numerous complaints regarding the infotainment system for the Camry refusing to pair with phones, disconnecting from phones, etc. Considering how much I interact with the head unit I wasn't going to risk it.

·
2nd Accord
115 Posts
I have the Hybrid. I had my heart set on the 2.0. If you are concerned about the turbo or new transmission, the Hybrid sits in the middle between the 1.5 and 2.0 without the turbo and the new transmission. I compromised because it gives me more power than I really need and the upside is great gas mileage. I am averaging 50 mpg although others are not getting quite that much. I have only two issues. The rear deck rattles, that I have a very quick temporary solution for(I am working with Honda for a permanent fix), I have a very minor painting my imperfection in the hood. I notified Honda of it and they are willing to fix it. My only concern with the imperfection is that it might pop and look like a chip. However I might not fix it all since it so small and I have to look very hard to see it. I have no regrets. I love my car and would highly recommend it. I had an2009 accord, that according to car complaints.com, had the second highest complaints of all Accords. I knew when I bought that car that I would be changing my brake pads more often. That was the only problem I had. I sold it when I had 160,000 miles on it. It held better my sisters 2009 Camry.

·
Registered
101 Posts
While Consumer Reports is regarded by car enthusiasts as "good reference for washing machines," they provide a clinical look at vehicle reliability. There might be enough of a run time for them to evaluate the 2018 Accords and Camrys in terms of reliability and specific problem areas (engine, transmission, suspension, etc.). Suggest picking up a copy or subscribing to the service.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Cheers!
Honda's QC has been a problem recently. However, that's not necessarily means that you have to move to Toyota. What do you want in your cars is the most important question. Are you seeking fuel economy? Power? Driving feel? comfort? 2019s for both cars would be the better choice either way. Also, a Lexus means premium fuel. Are you willing to pay extra? If you commute a lot, that fuel price will add up quick.
False. A Lexus does not require premium fuel.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
False. A Lexus does not premium fuel.
I never understand the panic when people bring up premium fuel. It is a very incremental cost compared with the huge (and depreciating) waste of cash that a new car represents.

That said, plenty of Lexus vehicles require premium (91 octane) fuel. For 2019, Lexus doesn't require premium in the ES300H, ES350, NX300H, RX350, and RX350L. Every other 2019 Lexus model (16 of them) requires premium fuel. The situation is similar all the way back to the 2000 model year.

·
Turbo lag
2,709 Posts
I never understand the panic when people bring up premium fuel. It is a very incremental cost compared with the huge (and depreciating) waste of cash that a new car represents.
I just did the math, and my panic is over rated as the fuel cost difference is only about $500 a year. Assuming you drive 20,000 mi a year at 33mpg.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts

Cheers!
If all you seek is a good car with absolutely top notch reliability, the Camry may be that car. I find it interesting how you selected the 1.5T on the Accord but the V6 in the Camry. If the power of a 1.5T meets your needs, why not consider the 2.5 Camry? The 2.5 Camry is probably the most reliable car made today.

My wife has a 2010 V6 RAV4. It has been 100% trouble free. Not one problem. Simply stupendous reliability. But I lovingly call it a great appliance. Even though the V6 provides strong acceleration, the car has the personality of a cardboard box. If I needed one word to describe it, that word would be “stale.”

I share this because there is more to a car than just reliability. If the V6 Camry is more reliable than the 2.0T Accord, it won’t be by much. The days of VCM and piston ring problems are long gone. I know there is no concrete verdict that explains why the CRV’s 1.5T dilutes oil, but the best explanation I’ve read so far is ECU programming. The 2.0T uses a different program and I’ve heard of no problems with that engine.

The world will keep spinning the same way of you buy a Camry or an Accord. My suggestion is to not over weigh reliability, especially with a Honda. Buy the car you prefer to drive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I went to the ToyotaNation forums for the 2018+ Camry and here are some thread topics that stood out:

I'm about to trade my car due to many problems over short period of time
This is my last toyota
Time to Move on, goodbye Camry

There is also a thread very similar to this one comparing the Camry XSE V6 to the Accord 2.0T Touring.

One thing that stands out to me about the Camry is that even the biggest Toyota fans agree that the Entune system used for infotainment is absolutely horrible although it is a little better in the 2019 models that offer Apple CarPlay but still no Android Auto.

·
Honda Enthusiast
I drive a BMW now. 🇩🇪
3,627 Posts
You can't go wrong with either an Accord or Camry. The new Camry XSE V6 is a beast, but all Camrys can only be had with an automatic. That may not be an issue for you, but I would buy the Accord Sport for no other reason than the manual. I was considering an 18 Camry prior to my current Accord (in white with the black roof and red seats of course), but if I was going back into a car it needed to be manual, and I have a soft spot for anything Honda. For the first time ever the Camry has beaten the Accord in looks. The Camry looks sporty and sharp, whereas the Accord has a droopy looking front that takes getting used to. Pick the one you prefer after driving both.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts