Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... wifey backed into a parking pole. Gently enough that she didnt even leave a mark (or I haven't found it) but it displaced the bumper. It clearly popped out and is now dislodged. Here's a pic below.

I dont really know much about how the bumper is attached to the car. I have decided that I will definitely get this fixed (it's minor but also a new car) and I'm wondering if I should just take this to a dealer. What's the best way to fix this right? I would hate taking it to a dealer that leaves it more screwed up than it is (which seems to be so common with so many dealer repairs these days..)

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
As long as the clips havent been broken, yes it can be popped back in. only way to see if they've been broken is to pop it out and look, or just pop it back in and see if it holds.

Just try to pop it back in, no harm in trying.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight. Should I try to pop it out, lift it up, and pop it back in? It's looks like it needs to pop out first, then pop back in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Get a heat gun from H freight (about 10 bucks), use gloves that protect from heat. heat the plastic out, and pop out from behind. I did this trick 3x on my wifes outback. No worries or cracked paint.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a heat gun from H freight (about 10 bucks), use gloves that protect from heat. heat the plastic out, and pop out from behind. I did this trick 3x on my wifes outback. No worries or cracked paint.
Thanks Typhoon but it's not actually dented. It's just dislodged from it's original position. Are you saying that a heat gun should expand the bumper enough to actually return it to it's original position? The impression I got from DRK92 is that I should basically unclip the whole bumper and reinstall it.

DRK92 - apologies if I got that wrong; please clarify if I did.

·
Registered
901 Posts
upward pressure from the bottom and use your forearm for even pressure to pop back into the clips. Give it a shot, no harm trying. My wife's outlander had the whole bumper hanging off the back...a little force and maneuvering it popped in perfectly.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
This will be easy- remember, it is not a bumper, but a bumper COVER that we are talking about. Just plastic clips that hold it to the car, with maybe two or four actual metal screws to secure it once it is properly aligned. They can get dislodged, and they have so many clips that even if one broke it won't be noticeable once it is set back properly.

My own experience: Wear nice leather gloves and try to pop it back in and up. If that does not work, you will have to remove the bumper cover (search YouTube and this forum), re-position it (bending the one or two bent tabs back to proper position), and THEN put it back in. It should not take more than 20 minutes to completely remove and re-install a bumper cover.

If you are terrified of wrenching your own vehicle, I am certain a reputable body shop would do it for you for under $75 while you wait. But if you don't know about bumper covers, and act ignorantly, I am certain a dis-reputable body shop would charge you the magic $250 and "leave it for a day".

How to remove an 8th Gen rear bumper cover (2 minutes!):

Another video....
First three minutes (!) of this video shows you step by step how to remove the rear bumper cover on an 8th Generation Accord:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing happened to me - I just noticed - the clips are broken - on one side - but I can push it back in - my question - why not gorilla glue?

·
cvt - NOT
1,240 Posts
The same thing happened to me - I just noticed - the clips are broken - on one side - but I can push it back in - my question - why not gorilla glue?
If you have some decent DYI skills you can remove the bumper cover and repair the broken clips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts