Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had performance problems I solved mostly but I do not know what to do next.

The difficulty starting especially cold starting in cold temperatures and the delayed acceleration and other acceleration problems and the temperature gauge goes up when stopped at lights. I replaced the radiator, radiator caps, radiator fan, transmission hoses, and I switched to NON Ethanol Fuel.

There is a huge crack in the upper radiator hose. The car's performance improved 82% but I do not know what to do next. Will a bad temperature sensor cause difficulty starting? When I replace the radiator hoses will it improve starting and performance? Does the cracked hose let air inside the radiator?

After I replace the cracked hose, I will do other routine maintenance. New Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter. What Else? Should I replace Fuel Filter? M.A.P. Sensor? (or just clean it?)

1994 Accord EX Wagon

(and yes I will spend any amount to keep my cars no matter how old)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Cracked radiator hose can cause a number of things, including a blown engine due to overheating. Difficult cold start can be due to many many many things on a 25 year old car (respect), I would think about seafomaing it.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
If you had a cracked radiator hose you'd be losing coolant. And if you lost enough coolant you'd start to destroy your engine.

Are you sure it's the radiator hose or are you talking about the accordion shaped black air intake hose at the top of the engine going over to the air filter box?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It used to have numerous starting and acceleration issues, all the time, required stepping on the accelerator repeatedly until finally moving. But didn't refuel until below 1 / 2 tank, and happened to use NON Ethanol Gas. It improved significantly. It only acted up one time after that, but not for very long. Perhaps there was contaminated gas?

I turn off the engine immediately (two or three seconds) after I see the gauge go above half. Fan stays on after. And I hear steam escape from hose. That must mean that air is in the radiator. How do I replace hose without trapping this air inside?

I have the upper hose ready to install. (I should also replace the lower hose soon.) I have an extra jug of antifreeze.

·
"Registered"?
3,349 Posts
That must mean that air is in the radiator. How do I replace hose without trapping this air inside?
Search YouTube.

And, do the lower hose at the same time. No sense doing the same job twice, because you'll have to burp the air out of the system again when you replace that hose too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts