Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,309 Posts
Also, yes, us young folks (22 here) have no idea what "gag me with a spoon" is from. Sounds kind of kinky to be totally honest.
😁

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I'd say the extra weight of a V6 vs I4 in a FWD car is rarely beneficial when it comes down to handling. Growing up my first car a '99 Accord EX 4 cylinder. My close friend had a '01 Accord EX-L V6. We traded keys numerous times, the V6 just felt heavy when turning. The power was nice though! His V6 would pull 1-2 car lengths on me every time.

Yeah finding the limit is certainly easier with the Accord:p. But in all seriousness, its a decent handling car for what it is. I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my G35 and have Pilot Sport All Season 4 on my Accord; 235s on both. I pushed my G35 quite hard dozens of times going through the canyons of greater LA and coastal area. I found that finding the limits was defined, but never really punishing. You can teeter around them and the car never complained or got unsettled. The car liked to be turning, and stabbing the throttle mid-corner with T/C off meant a little bit of.... fun. I had genuine fun wheeling that car, kudos to Nissan for that. I drove a few Q50s and G37s before I decided on getting another Accord, the main reason was insurance and I was worried about gas going above $5/gallon. Just paid $4.49 for regular today!

I rarely push my Accord, but when I have I'm always taken back a little. I've found that the limits are a little abrupt and when you find them that's basically when the fun is over. But, the limit is much higher than I had anticipated. You definitely know its FWD when you huck it in to a corner, but Honda definitely put some time and effort into the suspension set up. Not to mention its McPherson struts! Adding the 19mm rear bar only made it better and the front grip more predictable. Its above my expectations for a car that I'm daily driving ~20k miles/year on that get 30+mpg.
One benefit of the heavier V6 I want to mention was that the car felt very stable. The 2011 V6 I had felt very secure and sure footed compared especially to my 2006 LX. Whereas the 06 would get blown side to side (at least it felt that way) on the highway in a strong crosswind, there seemed to be little impact on the V6, if at all. That extra 400 plus pounds was no joke lol. The down side was it was also the Accord that got the worst mpg. Ironically, it was also the only one that had the VCM... With that said, the current $4 a gallon sucks. Over here in MD it's still $2.xx, but it is definitely more expensive than the recent past. I just filled up my old TL, which takes 91. It was over $3 a gallon even at Costco! Ouch!
:(

The G seems like a really fun car and a great handler! I've read on C&D that it was the first Japanese sports sedan that could actually challenge the BMW 3 in the handling department. Then it it was the IS350. I've never driven either, although thought about it before. I have to say, the G37/35 exhaust note that I've heard is one sweeeeet sound! Very pleasant to my ears. Too bad, like you said, the insurance and poor gas mileage (or so I heard) wouldn't make it very practical for the occasional thrill seeker like me. :D

Yep, definitely agree. For the FWD setup it is, Honda is, to me, definitely up there in their suspension tuning. It can't really compete with the REAL sports sedans in the handling department, but that's not its main focus. It's actually really good for what it is and a great car all around (which is why I keep coming back lol).

·
Registered
80 Posts
well most people prefer calm driving experience and not being thrown around like a ragdoll so theyre not gonna bomb through a turn on the highway. the accord is very capable though but i wouldnt try to push it like that on the highway often

·
Registered
7 Posts
So there's a big bend in the highway, I can go 70 or something around the turn on the inside lane, I leave every single vehicle, including motorbikes, behind me because they brake so hard. I have a touring with MXM4 tires. They're just the OEM tires.

Is this the only car capable of doing it other than an R8 or something, or are people just assuming modern vehicles can't do it?
These cars handle a lot, I usually have the ass end off the ground on most turns going through the backroads. On the highway I'm careful dong over 110 with the weak ass brakes but I can kinda hold my own against my buddies 15 Z06 once we keep the speed up.

245/45/19, Ecsta 4X, all season. Blew through half the tread in 10k miles now xD

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Totally can see the appeal, but some of us prefer to leave some safety margin. Daily driving uses up to about 1/3 of available grip, twice that when wet. You'll need the remaining grip to dodge potholes that can break your cute rims, or random road debris, or some suicidal animal. That guy in the porsche that you think you just schooled may have his infant child in the back seat, or maybe just did grocery shopping and don't want his eggs crushed under his orange juice.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
These cars handle a lot, I usually have the ass end off the ground on most turns going through the backroads. On the highway I'm careful dong over 110 with the weak ass brakes but I can kinda hold my own against my buddies 15 Z06 once we keep the speed up.

245/45/19, Ecsta 4X, all season. Blew through half the tread in 10k miles now xD
Get better brakes. The problem with the OEM is they don't cool down fast enough. The car can definetly outpace them. I'm not going to upgrade my calipers because I rarely go over 90, but if you do it often to have fun I believe you must. Also backroads holy moley this car is an ANIMAL for it being a full sized sedan.

Totally can see the appeal, but some of us prefer to leave some safety margin. Daily driving uses up to about 1/3 of available grip, twice that when wet. You'll need the remaining grip to dodge potholes that can break your cute rims, or random road debris, or some suicidal animal. That guy in the porsche that you think you just schooled may have his infant child in the back seat, or maybe just did grocery shopping and don't want his eggs crushed under his orange juice.
Ya I stay way behind everyone because they brake way too hard all the time, if that's what you mean by safety margin. It is so weird when all these ladies in SUVs sit right off my bumper all the time, it's like they love jamming on their brakes ALL THE TIME. That's why I'm getting a rear view camera, because I know one of them sometime will nail me.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well said @emeron. When I drive spirited, my 👪 family is never in the car with me.

I also heard that highway on ramps is the best place to throw your fast food trash out the window because there's no cameras and no one can witness me doing it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Get better brakes. The problem with the OEM is they don't cool down fast enough. The car can definetly outpace them. I'm not going to upgrade my calipers because I rarely go over 90, but if you do it often to have fun I believe you must. Also backroads holy moley this car is an ANIMAL for it being a full sized sedan.

Ya I stay way behind everyone because they brake way too hard all the time, if that's what you mean by safety margin. It is so weird when all these ladies in SUVs sit right off my bumper all the time, it's like they love jamming on their brakes ALL THE TIME. That's why I'm getting a rear view camera, because I know one of them sometime will nail me.
What I mean by safety margin is when you have a car that you know under ideal conditions it should be able to take that corner at 90, but you take it at 70 because there is no scoring system awarding you points for quickest commute. (There is actually a point system for daily commute, but it tends to favor those who wreck the fewest cars with lowest insurance premiums)

Keep taking every corner at the limit, you keep rolling that dice. Eventually your number will come up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What I mean by safety margin is when you have a car that you know under ideal conditions it should be able to take that corner at 90, but you take it at 70 because there is no scoring system awarding you points for quickest commute. (There is actually a point system for daily commute, but it tends to favor those who wreck the fewest cars with lowest insurance premiums)

Keep taking every corner at the limit, you keep rolling that dice. Eventually your number will come up.
Ya true, don't go balls to the wall. That's a thing young and drunk people do. I am sure I can take that turn at 85 but I do it 60, most people do it even lower.

·
Registered
2021 ACCORD SPORT 2.0
72 Posts
Well said @emeron. When I drive spirited, my 👪 family is never in the car with me.

I also heard that highway on ramps is the best place to throw your fast food trash out the window because there's no cameras and no one can witness me doing it.
Seen alot of striped clothed people cleaning up your trash yesterday on a on ramp with 2 sheriff deputys with weapons handling them. I geuss you want to join , right?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Seen alot of striped clothed people cleaning up your trash yesterday on a on ramp with 2 sheriff deputys with weapons handling them. I geuss you want to join , right?
Lol. Yeah. I show my 7 year-old son the posted signs "$1000 fine for littering" to teach him never to litter, yet I'm guilty.

But as a former bad guy myself, I can look in my rearview mirror and recognize cop car headlights at night from a mile away.

Littering on those highway ramps was a tradition during my high school days. Don't know why I still do that today at 48 years-old. I promise you guys, I'll try to quit that illicit behavior.

"Bad habits are hard to drop!"

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,060 Posts
An easy way to stop littering is to put a trash can/trash bag in your car and then empty it out or throw it away when you arrive at your destination. Or, pack snacks in biodegradable packaging, like a banana.

Meanwhile, I don't even eat in my car unless it's an emergency, so that's also an option.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Or, and hear me out on this, DON'T THROW YOUR TRASH OUT THE WINDOW.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts

Yea I'm working on the Equus caliper swap or the easy brembo swap. I love putting a regular V6 car in their place on the backroads LOL Just last night a Chrysler Crossfire lost his nuts back inside from getting wiped by my Mom Accord lmfao

·
Registered
782 Posts
Or, and hear me out on this, DON'T THROW YOUR TRASH OUT THE WINDOW.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yes sir.

I will promise to try and stop because our ecosystem is in jeopardy for future generations.

Edit: To help clean the environment.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yea I'm working on the Equus caliper swap or the easy brembo swap. I love putting a regular V6 car in their place on the backroads LOL Just last night a Chrysler Crossfire lost his nuts back inside from getting wiped by my Mom Accord lmfao
Nice that you're upping the piston count and size with those swaps, also you know you can cream lots of v8s too with the stage 3 tune, and nearly all trucks. Keep that turbo revved up and it smears everyone. My favorite is that lots of kids get the Hyundai Genesis and go "heh heh heh, I have a v8, I'm going to whip these Honda boys" because lots of contrarian autists hate Honda and VW so get something different. I absolutely embarrass them. Nobody has a new Genesis though for me to test them out. Lots of people learned that it's not worth the hassle on the imitation Mercedes.

·
2010 2.4EX
720 Posts
Is this the only car capable of doing it other than an R8 or
something, or are people just assuming modern vehicles can't
do it?
Most drivers are afraid of driving in a straight line,
let alone on the freeway and a turn.
With tires with four foot wide tread and no sidewalls, on twenty inch rims, why not?

It's not that drivers nowadays are incapable of driving in a straight line - it's that the wider wheel/tire combos on current cars prohibit them from doing so! More subject to tramlining, being pulled from one side to the other by rutting and other road imperfections. Plus they ride like a pulpwood wagon, even at vehicle specified cold tire pressures.

This whole state of automotive affairs is just downright ridiculous - and is why I prefer narrower treads, higher profile tires. Smoother ride, and they actually travel in a straight line!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts