Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Snicker Dog
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that many people prefer the red turn signals on the coupe. Therefore, this may be of no interest to you. However, for those that prefer an amber turn signal here is a easy way to have them. It is as simple as installing the proper turn signal bulb. The rear turn signal bulb for the coupe is a wedge type #7440. After doing some research I ascertained that a yellow (NOT AMBER) LED bulb with a certain light waive length if placed behind a red lens would emit amber light. Sounds crazy right? I am here to tell you it works. I purchased a YELLOW 7440 (single circuit) T20 Wedge 48 Ultra Bright LED from LEDlight.com. The product number is: 86845Y7440. NOTE: Very few companies offer an LED 7440 in YELLOW. Most companies have them in amber or amber/yellow. THESE WILL NOT WORK. The LED must be PURE yellow. BTW: LEDlight.com was great. I received the bulbs securely packaged in three days via USPS. Of course, as many of you know, with LEDS you must use load resistors or you will have hyperflash. Just in case you think that you could use a regular yellow 7440 bulb with the same results you cannot. I tried it. I purchased a standard HYPER yellow bulb but the red lense filtered out the yellow light. For some reason when you use the yellow LED that I purchased behind a red lense you get AMBER light. Do not ask me why. I am no scientist. Here is a picture CIMG1140.jpg . The left is amber the right the standard red.

·
Snicker Dog
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The LED is slightly dimmer than OEM. My tails also have a moderate tint. Although dimmer the LED is clearly visible in person.

·
Registered
512 Posts
That looks...not good, for lack of a better term. You have decreased your visibility and gave the lights what I think would belong on a tercell. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Unfortunate that this doesn't seem to work with conventional yellow bulbs. May tinker with the idea a bit myself to see if I can find a combination that does work. Thanks for the idea. :thmsup:

·
Snicker Dog
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MI08Coupe: If you come up with a better idea. Please let me know. BTW: it is not as dim in person.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks OP

I gave this a try on my 7th gen and it turned out pretty good. Thanks OP!
IMAG0034 (1).jpg

IMAG0054 (1).jpg

·
Registered
460 Posts
uhh ill stay w. oem. I do want to try that wiring harness a guy was selling a while ago to make the turn signal part function as a brake light and turn signal. it effectively doubles the light output on brakelights.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
940 Posts
uhh ill stay w. oem. I do want to try that wiring harness a guy was selling a while ago to make the turn signal part function as a brake light and turn signal. it effectively doubles the light output on brakelights.

hey i want those too...where can we buy those? pm let me know, thanks bro

·
Registered
94 Posts
hey i want those too...where can we buy those? pm let me know, thanks bro
do you guys mean zexen's taillight mod? it makes your turn signals act as parking lights, not brakes. they're an exclusive to a different forum (not sure if i can link it here so i won't, but it isn't hard to find...)

if i didn't already have that mod i'd consider this one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
j-ro:
I like your idea. Can't understand why amber turns. aren't a standard thing. What resistor did you use? Does LEDlight have those too?
Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
do you guys mean zexen's taillight mod? it makes your turn signals act as parking lights, not brakes. they're an exclusive to a different forum (not sure if i can link it here so i won't, but it isn't hard to find...)

if i didn't already have that mod i'd consider this one.

damn I want it to look like that when im braking.

·
Registered
714 Posts
This is SICK.... I need to do that, look WAY better!

·
Snicker Dog
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DENBRY: Used a 6 ohm resistor. Do not know if LED light offers the same bulb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts