Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Can I put 51R-E battery in '06 Accord 4 cylinder?

7K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Infamous bear 
#1 ·
I have an 06 accord 4 cylinder. It takes a 51R- S .I was wondering if I can put a 51R- E battery in it without it messing anything up.

#3 ·
What exactly do you mean "without messing anything up"?

Are you asking if it will fit without modification?

Are you asking if the battery will be of sufficient power/amps/CCA for your needs?
Yes I was wondering will it needs mods to work or can I just throw it in and it work. And will it power the 06 enough or will it over power it. I dont want to fry anything.

Actually I just found I can put a group 35 with 640 cca in. I just need the bigger ground wire thats used in the 6 cylinder. It's bigger and its not as expensive as the weak one that's supposed to go in it.

#4 ·
Yes I was wondering will it needs mods to work or can I just throw it in and it work. And will it power the 06 enough or will it over power it. I dont want to fry anything.
There is no such thing as "over powering" a 12V DC system with a larger 12V automobile battery. It may hold more charge, and that's a good thing, it may provide more amperage for cranking, and that's a good thing. If it fits and can be properly connected and secured, that's all there is to it. I really wish I had thought of putting in a larger battery on the '03.

Actually I just found I can put a group 35 with 640 cca in. I just need the bigger ground wire thats used in the 6 cylinder. It's bigger and its not as expensive as the weak one that's supposed to go in it.
A larger ground cable is a good thing too ... but if the postive going to the starter is also not "big" then you're not getting much benefit from the larger ground. (Look up "big 3" battery cable threads anywhere). For such I'd go for the ground + starter cable with less emphasis on the alternator to battery cable.

#9 · (Edited)
- about half way down the page, paragraph starting with "Some flooded batteries are offered in N & S versions".

#13 ·
If you remove the underside tray and the OEM enclosure, there are a great number of other battery sizes that can fit into the 4 cylinder. The sizes are more common and cheaper as noted above. There is a long thread in this forum that covers the whole thing. I have a 24 or 75 in mine (can't remember which). More CCA and fits fine with no mods other than lift and enclosure removal.

#15 ·
How much do you all pay for batteries? I got the one for my 07 4 cylinder for 87 bucks out the door with that 100 month warranty from a Honda dealer I worked at that my employee discount still works at. No issues so far. Going 4 years no hiccups. I think they want like 132 installed after tax. Not bad considering advance auto parts charges 164.99 plus tax for the same thing with 3 year warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.