Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
2001 Honda Accord 4 door, 218k miles. I have done the polish exterior surface before. Is there anything I can do to clean the disgusting headlights we are given. Why can’t they just use glass, the cheap xxxx? They are completely yellow glazed again. Does polishing the surface help again like it did awhile back?

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,997 Posts
Polishing will take oxidation away, until they oxidize again. You need to apply some clear coat to them after polishing and drying them, they will last longer that way.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,895 Posts
^^ This. There's no one-time application I'm aware of.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,997 Posts
Some headlight restoring kits (Rain-X makes one for example) come with a "sealing" wipe or spray, but those wear off very quickly. A clear coat that is UV-resistant is your best bet at having clear headlights for a long time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've done the sanding / polishing method on our CRV and my Pilot. You attach a sanding /polishing pad to a power drill and apply even pressure while keeping the pad moving. Key here is to keep the dust from building up and not stop in any area generating heat and more issues. With prep (cleaning lenses, masking off surrounding paint), the process takes around 40 minutes a side to complete and once done you either need to spray the lens with a clear UV inhibiting spray or a UV wipe on protective coating. The Pilot was on year 3 with no hazing coming back, the CRV was done last fall and still looks factory fresh. I used the wipe on UV protection and did multiple coats over multiple days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts