Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car has been making this noise for a while. Thought since it was time to replace my serpentine belt it must’ve been something to do with that or the tensioner. I replaced the belt (along with new tensioner) and I’m still getting the noise. Any suggestions out there are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
25 Posts
could be any of the pulleys, or could be the alternator, or the air con compressor bearings. I would take the belt off and start the car and see if its still there, and then work through examining the bearing play on other items if the noise is not there when you take the belt off.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Power steering pump? Have you ever had the o-ring replaced with the “updated” one?

·
V6 Rocks
61 Posts
Power steering pump? Have you ever had the o-ring replaced with the “updated” one?
The power steering pump noise should not change when giving more gas. However, the noise should change when turning the steering wheel from lock to lock. The noise in the video appears to be some kind of worn-out bearing.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
The power steering pump noise should not change when giving more gas. However, the noise should change when turning the steering wheel from lock to lock. The noise in the video appears to be some kind of worn-out bearing.
It shouldn’t, but in my experience it did. So it could.
I had a fluid leak in one of my lines, but after changing the o-ring and keeping the reservoir topped off, my car‘s cold start sounded like a sleeping baby, nice and smooth, with no whining lol
Could certainly be a worn out bearing though — OP does the sound change when you turn the wheel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise doesn’t change when I turn the wheel. And it’s strange because sometimes the sound comes & goes. Once the car is warmed up, it doesn’t happen as often. Is the O-ring covered as a recall or something I’d have to take care of myself?
Thank u for your help
It shouldn’t, but in my experience it did. So it could.
I had a fluid leak in one of my lines, but after changing the o-ring and keeping the reservoir topped off, my car‘s cold start sounded like a sleeping baby, nice and smooth, with no whining lol
Could certainly be a worn out bearing though — OP does the sound change when you turn the wheel?

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
The noise doesn’t change when I turn the wheel. And it’s strange because sometimes the sound comes & goes. Once the car is warmed up, it doesn’t happen as often. Is the O-ring covered as a recall or something I’d have to take care of myself?
Thank u for your help
Interesting, the pitch with mine changed a bit when the wheel is turned (while the car isn’t moving) and of course with throttle changes.

There’s no recall because nothing is “broken” and inhibits a safety danger (its more of a TSB thing) but like what @mtts60 said, it takes 5 minutes on the 4cyl, max, so long as you don’t mind a little mess lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You’re right on second thought, when I turn the wheel the noise did fluctuate a bit. I’m going to give it a go and see what happens
Interesting, the pitch with mine changed a bit when the wheel is turned (while the car isn’t moving) and of course with throttle changes.

There’s no recall because nothing is “broken” and inhibits a safety danger (its more of a TSB thing) but like what @mtts60 said, it takes 5 minutes on the 4cyl, max, so long as you don’t mind a little mess lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
take the serpentine belt off, and start the car see if the noise goes, and then with the car stopped and battery disconnected have a play about with the ancillary items like alternator to see if there is bearing wear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts