Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that I've asked this before but I don't remember and can't find info on it. Engine stone cold is showing one notch and maybe almost a half and warm it just hits the top hole of the two.. It's a dark blob at the bottom and has some amber looking oil streaked.. My MM says oil life 30% (about to go to 20) around 2000 miles since last oil change lol.. I'm far off from the sticker that they put on my car.. But anyways should I buy more oil or get a change early or are my levels good?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sounds like the MM never got reset.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,157 Posts
see: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=128898

If it's between the top and bottom hole, you're fine. Engine should be cold.

If it's only been 2,000 miles since last oil change and oil life was reset to 100%, just leave it and wait until it hits 15% or 10%. You must do a lot of short drives around town or drive it hard if it's only been 2,000 miles since last change.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
As long as the bottom hole has oil stretched across it, you're good. When I do my oil change, I keep adding oil until the top hole gets plugged (I fill it with 4 qts, lower from jack, run the engine, then add the additional .5 - 1 qt to top it off).

·
Registered
190 Posts
see: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=128898

If it's between the top and bottom hole, you're fine. Engine should be cold.

If it's only been 2,000 miles since last oil change and oil life was reset to 100%, just leave it and wait until it hits 15% or 10%. You must do a lot of short drives around town or drive it hard if it's only been 2,000 miles since last change.
It's actually supposed to be warm with this car. Why? IDK - but you will get significantly different readings and manual specifies warm and shut off (for 1min).

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,157 Posts
It's actually supposed to be warm with this car. Why? IDK - but you will get significantly different readings and manual specifies warm and shut off (for 1min).
The owners manuals says to "wait a few minutes after turning the engine off before you check the oil." That does not mean the engine needs to be warm. Why wait before checking? It's because you get a more accurate reading when the engine is cool/cold since the oil is back in the pan.

You're probably confusing it with changing the oil where the manual actually says to "run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature, then shut it off."

·
BringTheIntegraBack
256 Posts
I always agree with what namegoeshere has to say, but I don't on this one. The "wait a few minutes" is not to let the engine turn cold--it simply will not do that in just a few minutes. Water (coolant) has one of the highest specific heats amongst common substances--it loves to hold on to heat.

As you said, the wait for a few minutes is to allow all the oil that has been thrown around in the engine to gravitate down back into the pan so that an accurate measurement can be made. But the engine is still warm.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I always agree with what namegoeshere has to say, but I don't on this one. The "wait a few minutes" is not to let the engine turn cold--it simply will not do that in just a few minutes. Water (coolant) has one of the highest specific heats amongst common substances--it loves to hold on to heat.

As you said, the wait for a few minutes is to allow all the oil that has been thrown around in the engine to gravitate down back into the pan so that an accurate measurement can be made. But the engine is still warm.
Thanks for backing me up. For what it's worth, I understand completely where the confusion is coming from.. especially since older Accords asked for the oil to be checked cold.. it's just not the case here and the readings are way different (they are higher when cold).

·
4,062 Posts
Service manual calls for engine @ operating temperature for checking oil.

Text Parallel Diagram

From an engineer's perspective, this is the most "consistent" scenario possible for different people. A cold engine in Minnesota is probably way colder than a cold engine in Arizona. By just saying "use operating temperature", there's no regional variations in the measurement.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I usually do it at a gas station. Driving in, the car is warm, and in the time it takes to pump the gas, it allows the oil to settle back into the oil pan, then i check the oil. As stated above, the oil must be checked on a warm engine.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Service manual calls for engine @ operating temperature for checking oil.

View attachment 104201

From an engineer's perspective, this is the most "consistent" scenario possible for different people. A cold engine in Minnesota is probably way colder than a cold engine in Arizona. By just saying "use operating temperature", there's no regional variations in the measurement.
So is it a consensus to get the engine to operating temperature (temperature gauge midway between Hot and Cold) and so the best way is to check the engine oil after a generous drive?

Owned and 11 for three years now and am decided to check the oil level each month.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
A check with 'Honda Tech' on Google revealed the following:

The best time to check the oil is while the engine is cold. The oil needs time to drop back down into the pan to get an acurate reading of how much oil is in the system, total, however, if the engine was running, park the vehicle on level ground, and turn off the engine. Allow the oil a few minutes to drain back into the oil pan so the dipstick will show the actual level
Make certain that the oil level indicated on the dipstick is between the upper and lower marks.
If the level has dropped close to the lower mark, add oil until it reaches the upper mark.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
^ Seems Post #10 and 13 can be done together but how long to run an engine,, if at all, before shutting it off and letting the oil drain is the big question.

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
I always let the engine run then shut it off and wait a few minutes to read my oil

·
4,062 Posts
A check with 'Honda Tech' on Google revealed the following:
Cite your source please. The actual official Honda recommendation is as I posted above: warm engine up, turn off, wait a few minutes, check oil level. Here it is right off the techinfo.honda.com site:

·
Registered
15 Posts
What the heck..

I have a 2.4l 8th gen sedan when it is cold it show oil at high level. When i warmed my car and shut it off it should oil to in the middle b/w high and low.

Whats the correct way to check it? Because if it warm and I fill in more it will definitely go up and pass the high level.

Plz suggest and yes i am using my car for uber like approx 700-900k.m a week started from last week and car has done 140,000k.m since 2008

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have a question for people in this thread...

see the picture below' so is his oil level good or bad? the proper way to read that stick is that the oil level is actually below the bottom hole (the dark concentrated matter) or is it above & between the two dots - which has the light oil marks (i've read somewhere on the forum that its just residual oil)...

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=185025&stc=1&d=1409578640

the reason why i ask is because i checked my oil recently (about 7000kms since the last oil change)[the MM reading is showing 50% oil life] the oil marking was way below the first dot; so i added a quart of oil & then the oil marking went up slightly; seemed to me like it went above the first mark... or maybe it was the resiudual oil reading.. i've read on the forum that 4cyl burn engine oil but... is that much? i have 2010 accord coupe EXL with about 130,000km,,,

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So check when engine is cold, no need to start the engine as I want to measure the oil in the pan (fully dripped)?

I have one more month before the 8-year extended warranty on the engine / car ends. I don't think the car is plagued by the excessive motor oil consumption but just in case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Correct position

Make sure the dip stick is facing the correct direction, meaning the oil logo on orange handle is facing the front of engine. If you put it in backwards, the oil level will show a little low, because the dip stick can't bottom out backwards.
Ask me how I know....:grin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts