Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you take the chip out of the key fob and it mount near the ignition so you can just use a regular key.This is my first car with a chipped key and i really don't like the idea.There are four people driving the car now and it would be far cheaper than buying each a key Having a designated spot for the key just isnt working.Waiting for the flaming to begin:lurk:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Can you take the chip out of the key fob and it mount near the ignition so you can just use a regular key.This is my first car with a chipped key and i really don't like the idea.There are four people driving the car now and it would be far cheaper than buying each a key Having a designated spot for the key just isnt working.Waiting for the flaming to begin:lurk:
I am not sure how wide the magnetic field is in order to pick up the chip but in theory it should work. You can test it by using the valet key or a just regular copy key and placing the chip in close proximity to the ignition to see if it works.

But doing so you lose the ability to remote unlock/lock your car since your chip is near the ignition unless you have another key fob.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Yes it will work near the ignition. Also, the remote works independently of the chip so you will be able to open the trunk, doors, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,432 Posts
You will have to remove the chip from the other keys. The non registered chip will be read by the car and it will not start.

Also by doing so, anyone with a screwdriver can break the ignition like the old days and hotwire the car.

I would just keep the working key on a key rack and everyone who uses the car put the key back when they are done with it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I was going to get nail to the wall with this question.
The kids are driving now and pay their own insurance(liability only).When it gets parked at the end of the driveway and has to be moved it becomes a real PITA to find the key.No one seems to remember to put the key back in the spot inducing me.I took it to the store then hopped on the bike and went to work with the key in my pocket not 24hrs after flipping out on them for doing the same thing and blocking the wife in. I found a place to laser cut blanks cheap but without a chip.Thanks again .

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think it is a bad idea. You basically defeat the sophisticated security system/immobilizer and invite an open season for car thief. The Honda Accord is the most stolen car in America, you don't want to make it too easy for them. I'd bite the bullet and get two more keys and get them programmed at the dealer. I'd call the dealer to get a quote on the service cost for 2 keys and order the blanks on line for about $45. Then you can keep your key without having to look for it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah! let's all start a donation pool to help this guy get 3 more keys cut for him!.

Look, he obviously can't afford to buy new keys otherwise he would have done so. Also, look at the scenario. He has a single driveway with several people sharing a car, money is not fluent with this guy. He does obviously knows the loss of security and has already weighed that into his decision. Besides, he only has liability, so collision will not replace the car in a wreck, he cant be too worried about theft. Maybe he lives in a small town where this wouldn't happen (yes there are towns like that) Not having collision is another monetary decision he had to make.

·
Legitimate hack
1,417 Posts
Greg, please edit your post and pm it to the guy. This is a publicly viewable forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.