Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought my 2019 Honda Accord 1.5L Touring and I understand that just because it has paddle shifters it is not at all the same as a manual car but because it does have it and because I would much rather be playing with the paddle shifters when driving than with nothing, I was just wondering if by any chance you could be fuel efficient when driving with paddle shifters or if its not possible and you should just stick to eco and normal mode?

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
it’s going to be really hard to beat the computer‘s shifting algorithm in automatic. If you’re like me, you’ll rev it out just a wee bit to hear a the engine or feel just a bit more acceleration in paddle mode. I absolutely love sport mode but don’t use the paddles all that much. They’re pretty much a pain the butt when turning as well.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I just recently bought my 2019 Honda Accord 1.5L Touring and I understand that just because it has paddle shifters it is not at all the same as a manual car but because it does have it and because I would much rather be playing with the paddle shifters when driving than with nothing, I was just wondering if by any chance you could be fuel efficient when driving with paddle shifters or if its not possible and you should just stick to eco and normal mode?
What would logic tell you?

·
Registered
224 Posts
If these are true paddle shifters, and not the "regen braking" paddles like I have on my Hybrid, I would use them to control speed on long downhill stretches through engine braking, but would otherwise leave them alone.

- Jack

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well the onboard computer is programmed to be most efficient. Only scenario I see paddle shifting to have an advantage in terms of efficiency is engine braking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it’s going to be really hard to beat the computer‘s shifting algorithm in automatic. If you’re like me, you’ll rev it out just a wee bit to hear a the engine or feel just a bit more acceleration in paddle mode. I absolutely love sport mode but don’t use the paddles all that much. They’re pretty much a pain the butt when turning as well.
Thank you!

If these are true paddle shifters, and not the "regen braking" paddles like I have on my Hybrid, I would use them to control speed on long downhill stretches through engine braking, but would otherwise leave them alone.

- Jack
Thank you!

Well the onboard computer is programmed to be most efficient. Only scenario I see paddle shifting to have an advantage in terms of efficiency is engine braking.
Thank you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe car's computer is programmed to provide the most torque based on speed/rpm so your car is always ready to race when you gunned it.
It will not let you up-shift beyond certain speed/rpm even though engine can handle it and let you save some gas...
Having full manual, I can drive 50km/h in 5th gear, gently. You cannot shift into 8th or whatever Accord has top simulated gear at that speed.
Even in 'sport' mode I doubt you have full gear control.Computers are controlling your life every second these days...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts