Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visited the dealership yesterday and was presented multiple Accords. I love the Touring editions but they are out of my price range. The next models that was shown to me were the 2.0 sport ($30,500) or the Hybrid version ($28,000). Both vehicles were the ex (is that correct?). I really REALLY loved the power of the 2.0, which is surprising considering I thought that the Hybrid version had more torque and hp (but maybe I’m not correct on this?).

Besides the power difference on the 2.0, I loved the fact it had 19” tires and a better sound system. I wasn’t given any other option on the Hybrid in terms of upgraded versions aside from going to the Touring.

I currently drive a 16’ Sonata Hybrid. It gets great mpg and this is why it’s sooo difficult to go to the 2.0. But from what I’m hearing in studies, since gas prices are so low right now, getting a Hybrid isn’t really worth the sacrifice of not getting the 2.0 in terms of features.

For those of you that either own the 2.0 ex or Hybrid ex Accord, what are your thoughts?

·
2018 Accord Hybrid EX-L
135 Posts
You drove a 2.0 Sport, which is it's own trim. The EX is the next trim up from the Sport. The Hybrid has 4 trim levels, Base, EX, EX-L, and Touring. If you go with an EX trim it will have more standard features than the Sport. Go to the Honda website and you can see the standard features for every trim and you can compare trims and see pricing and find what is the best fit for you.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The 2.0 Sport is built on the EX platform and shares all of the EX features. Honda's website does not make that very clear and it is a bit confusing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You're going to get pretty much the same features with the Sport 2.0 and the EX Hybrid, except the power train, obviously. The only true feature differences are cosmetic: color options, wheels, interior seat materials and colors (sport has the leather bolsters over cloth seats, and a black headliner).

The Hybrid power train is rated at 212 hp for the total system output. A total system torque rating is not provided, but the engine is rated at the 129 lb ft, and the motor at 232 lb ft (they do not simply add up). The 2.0 turbo is rated at 252 hp and 273 lb ft. The 2.0 is significantly quicker than the hybrid.

This strictly comes down to what you prioritize... the sporty look and feel of the Sport 2.0, or the efficiency (and price) of the hybrid.

P.S. The Sport 2.0 and the EX Hybrid have the same audio system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You drove a 2.0 Sport, which is it's own trim. The EX is the next trim up from the Sport. The Hybrid has 4 trim levels, Base, EX, EX-L, and Touring. If you go with an EX trim it will have more standard features than the Sport. Go to the Honda website and you can see the standard features for every trim and you can compare trims and see pricing and find what is the best fit for you.
Ive checked out the website and it seems like it’s rather difficult to tell trim differences. But hey, thanks for the heads up.

The 2.0 Sport is built on the EX platform and shares all of the EX features. Honda's website does not make that very clear and it is a bit confusing.
I agree. The website is really confusing on trims.

You're going to get pretty much the same features with the Sport 2.0 and the EX Hybrid, except the power train, obviously. The only true feature differences are cosmetic: color options, wheels, interior seat materials and colors (sport has the leather bolsters over cloth seats, and a black headliner).

The Hybrid power train is rated at 212 hp for the total system output. A total system torque rating is not provided, but the engine is rated at the 129 lb ft, and the motor at 232 lb ft (they do not simply add up). The 2.0 turbo is rated at 252 hp and 273 lb ft. The 2.0 is significantly quicker than the hybrid.

This strictly comes down to what you prioritize... the sporty look and feel of the Sport 2.0, or the efficiency (and price) of the hybrid.

P.S. The Sport 2.0 and the EX Hybrid have the same audio system.
This post makes sense! I was wondering WHY the Hybrid was cheaper than the 2.0, even the lower tier 2.0’s.

Frustrated with pricing!

I was holding out for a 2020 Hybrid, but thought I’d check the 2019’s still on the lot. I mean, we’re almost in November and yet, the 19’s are going for the same damn price as the 2020’s! The dealership is unwilling to even budge from the $35k touring Accord Hybrid. Why would anyone settle for a car that’s been sitting on the lot for nearly a year for the same price as a car that just rolled off the line?

·
HK Moderator
13,894 Posts
Frustrated with pricing!

I was holding out for a 2020 Hybrid, but thought I’d check the 2019’s still on the lot. I mean, we’re almost in November and yet, the 19’s are going for the same damn price as the 2020’s! The dealership is unwilling to even budge from the $35k touring Accord Hybrid. Why would anyone settle for a car that’s been sitting on the lot for nearly a year for the same price as a car that just rolled off the line?
Buy the 2020.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy the 2020.
I think I will. I’m just frustrated at the fact both year vehicles are identical in price but one has been sitting on the lot for nearly a year, fading in our endless sunshine here in Phoenix. Like I get it, Honda doesn’t really run specials or deals/rebates, but you’d think they would want to move older inventory by offering incentives.

·
HK Moderator
13,894 Posts
^Based on the "Prices Paid" threads, or your general opinion, how much do YOU think the 2019s should be discounted from their nearly identical 2020s?

You've been contemplating this for 7 months! Maybe the 2019s get less expensive in December....Maybe gas jumps to $5 a gallon and they sell out fast. Would you bite if the 2019 was $300 less than a 2020? What about $500?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think I will. I’m just frustrated at the fact both year vehicles are identical in price but one has been sitting on the lot for nearly a year, fading in our endless sunshine here in Phoenix. Like I get it, Honda doesn’t really run specials or deals/rebates, but you’d think they would want to move older inventory by offering incentives.
How many dealerships have you visited? I have been to dealers who think their cars are made of gold and others who dropped their price almost as I was walking in the door. Do a lot of research and start calling every dealer within as far as you are willing to travel and tell them you are ready to buy just need to right price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^Based on the "Prices Paid" threads, or your general opinion, how much do YOU think the 2019s should be discounted from their nearly identical 2020s?

You've been contemplating this for 7 months! Maybe the 2019s get less expensive in December....Maybe gas jumps to $5 a gallon and they sell out fast. Would you bite if the 2019 was $300 less than a 2020? What about $500?
It would have to be a few thousand $$ off the 19’s in order for me to buy the 19. Just for the hell of it, I decided to try other branded dealerships like Hyundai, Nissan. The price difference of these brands for cars such as Sonatas, Murano’s and Maximus 2019 vs 2020 was quite a bit. Some of these were going $3k to $4k off simply because they wanted the inventory to move in order to make way for newer stuff. It seems Honda doesn’t really do this. Either way, I’m still interested in buying my Accord Hybrid and couldn’t settle for anything else.

How many dealerships have you visited? I have been to dealers who think their cars are made of gold and others who dropped their price almost as I was walking in the door. Do a lot of research and start calling every dealer within as far as you are willing to travel and tell them you are ready to buy just need to right price.
Quite a few actually. The cost for these cars are so varied, it’s impossible to get the absolute lowest price without days of haggling and searching. I found prices online that were reasonable and non of the dealerships want to compare prices or compete.

·
Registered
60 Posts
well it’s your money. For me, several hours of chasing dealers is worth a few thousand dollars. I think from your original post, you are price sensitive. This means calling dealers and telling them you will buy today if they give you the right discount. If they refuse to give you a price, move to the next one. This has always worked for me.

·
HK Moderator
13,894 Posts
It would have to be a few thousand $$ off the 19’s in order for me to buy the 19. Just for the hell of it, I decided to try other branded dealerships like Hyundai, Nissan. The price difference of these brands for cars such as Sonatas, Murano’s and Maximus 2019 vs 2020 was quite a bit. Some of these were going $3k to $4k off simply because they wanted the inventory to move in order to make way for newer stuff. It seems Honda doesn’t really do this. Either way, I’m still interested in buying my Accord Hybrid and couldn’t settle for anything else.
I think we are talking about two different things here....You will not be able to buy a 2019 Hybrid for "thousands less" than a similar 2020 model. However, each can be had for "thousands off" of "sticker price".

Nobody with a brain pays "sticker". This of course does not apply to the 1990 Miata ($5,000+ dealer adjustment), nor the 2018 Civic Type-R ($10,000+ dealer adjustment), but pretty much every other car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well it’s your money. For me, several hours of chasing dealers is worth a few thousand dollars. I think from your original post, you are price sensitive. This means calling dealers and telling them you will buy today if they give you the right discount. If they refuse to give you a price, move to the next one. This has always worked for me.
I’ve never really had any luck calling around. Whenever I try doing this, and it extends to emails as well, the salesperson or sales manager refuses to give me a quote over the phone/email. They all just tell me to come in to discuss “options” and do a test drive. It’s frustrating because I know what I want, I know what the car is worth. I don’t need another test drive and I certainly don’t need to go in so they can hard sell me.

I think we are talking about two different things here....You will not be able to buy a 2019 Hybrid for "thousands less" than a similar 2020 model. However, each can be had for "thousands off" of "sticker price".

Nobody with a brain pays "sticker". This of course does not apply to the 1990 Miata ($5,000+ dealer adjustment), nor the 2018 Civic Type-R ($10,000+ dealer adjustment), but pretty much every other car.
Well yes. I mean, why would anyone pay the same dollar amount for a car that’s been sitting on the lot for nearly a year when they can just pay the same amount for a car that hasn’t been test driven hundreds of times. And yes. Thousands off sticker price is what I meant.

·
HK Moderator
13,894 Posts
So historically, within the same generation, how much can you expect to "save" by buying last year's version compared to the current version, and at which time of year?

I am not the buying expert here- but looking at the "Prices Paid" threads members were kind enough to build on, it seems you can get a 2019 for about $400 less than a 2020, if you wait until end of December 2019; or "save" $500 if you wait until February. Of course, selection may not be as good. And if gas prices go up, all bets are off.

·
2018 Accord Hybrid EX-L
135 Posts
I've said this before in other threads, and car buying experts like Tom McPharland on Jalopnik have also echoed it, but there is such a thing as waiting too long. It is not reasonable to expect something like a 2019 model to sell for $2k or more under what a 2020 does. Maybe in the $500 - $1000 range, but that is really pushing it. Dealers try to clear out old inventory before the new models arrive and they'll get incentives from the manufactures to help with that, but within a month of two of the new model those end. Now as the dealer you have two models sitting on your lot and no incentives you can use to help entice people on last years model. The dealer can only go so low and there probably isn't very much of a cost difference between the two cars for them, so the $500 is them willing to maybe lose $500 on the 2019 to get rid of it. The margins on the cars are already pretty thin as it is when you can already get $4,000 off the brand new model year.

I'm not saying its a sound business strategy or trying to say you shouldn't expect more off, just trying to bring some reason and rationale into the situation for those that come here every model year change wondering why the prices they are quoted seem so close together. If it were my money I'd just get the 2020 and move on.

Now in your specific situation, hybrids are also harder to come by. There is a massive dealer by me that has literally 300+ Accords in stock at times and they maybe usually have 10 hybrids max. If you can find what you are looking for in the color you want for the hybrid just go for it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
It's also not realistic to think that because the car is a 2019 it has been sitting on the lot for a full year. It could be a late build 2019 that has only been on the lot for a few weeks or a month.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I know folks who have bought last year's model and been thrilled at saving $300-500 over this year's model. I personally wouldn't do that, but the dealers know that someone will come along. Just buy a car you want at a price you can live with and move on.

In regards to dealers not emailing prices, I dealt with a few like that. I gave them a courtesy call to say that I didn't get their email and that I was only going to move forward with dealers that I had OTD pricing up front for. A couple responding via email with a price that was a waste of my time calling them for. If they get you to come in to talk pricing, they are just going to try and wear you down. They do it all the time. No point in wasting time negotiating if you don't know the starting point. The more leverage you have walking in, the better.

·
Registered
999 Posts
In regards to dealers not emailing prices, I dealt with a few like that. I gave them a courtesy call to say that I didn't get their email and that I was only going to move forward with dealers that I had OTD pricing up front for. A couple responding via email with a price that was a waste of my time calling them for. If they get you to come in to talk pricing, they are just going to try and wear you down. They do it all the time. No point in wasting time negotiating if you don't know the starting point. The more leverage you have walking in, the better.
I get why they don't respond to the emails favorably. Most of those emails are from tire kickers, and the people that actually are buying will probably use any price received to leverage a better deal elsewhere.

It's amazing to me what people will go through to save $150.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts