Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That's not necessarily true, anything that drives complaints, warranty costs, safety or lawsuits, the factory is going to fix right away, they will not wait a model year for claims to snowball. That's why for recalls and TSBs, there is always an affected VIN range listed, not just model year.
What you're saying is generally true for every car make I've ever owned...until now. Honda drags their feet like nothing I've ever seen before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
What you're saying is generally true for every car make I've ever owned...until now. Honda drags their feet like nothing I've ever seen before.
You should see how Hyundai handles warranty issues. I had my 16’ Sonata hybrid, at the time, for only one year when the engine needed replacing. I was out my car for 6 weeks. Yes I got loaner vehicles from the dealership, but I wanted the car I was paying for. There’s been so many problems with my car ranging from day one rattles to the digital and analog speedometers not calibrated equally to the point that one speedometer is off by 2-4 mph, to the transmission sometimes slipping. My car has been to the dealership way too many times to count, and often I need to fight with Hyundai to fix warranty issues.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You should see how Hyundai handles warranty issues. I had my 16’ Sonata hybrid, at the time, for only one year when the engine needed replacing. I was out my car for 6 weeks. Yes I got loaner vehicles from the dealership, but I wanted the car I was paying for. There’s been so many problems with my car ranging from day one rattles to the digital and analog speedometers not calibrated equally to the point that one speedometer is off by 2-4 mph, to the transmission sometimes slipping. My car has been to the dealership way too many times to count, and often I need to fight with Hyundai to fix warranty issues.
My comment was directed at Honda's inability to actually address issues (that is, issue TSBs). It takes forever. Find someone that has had the issue with the front parking sensors beeping for no reason addressed -- you won't.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
My comment was directed at Honda's inability to actually address issues (that is, issue TSBs). It takes forever. Find someone that has had the issue with the front parking sensors beeping for no reason addressed -- you won't.
Shoot. Hopefully it’s isolated incidents. Can’t be any worse than Hyundai’s BS process for warranty work.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The 2.0 Sport does not have ... active grillE shutters, ...
The active from shutters are a hybrid only feature unless I'm mistaken.
Correct, the shutters are a hybrid only thing.
When this was discussed, I was on vacation without access to the Honda Trim Comparisons from when I bought my 2018 HAH. With several internet sites I can still access, it indicates that the 1.5T EX and EX-L also have Active GrillE Shutters. And the 1.5T CR-V, which I also own.

My point isn't to nitpick - it is that in winter, some Honda owners have complained that after about 45 minutes of driving, the climate system will start blowing cold air across the dashboard. Since this occurs in both of my cars, I was thinking that maybe these shutters are causing that problem. Thoughts? (And should I start a new thread?)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
When this was discussed, I was on vacation without access to the Honda Trim Comparisons from when I bought my 2018 HAH. With several internet sites I can still access, it indicates that the 1.5T EX and EX-L also have Active GrillE Shutters. And the 1.5T CR-V, which I also own.

My point isn't to nitpick - it is that in winter, some Honda owners have complained that after about 45 minutes of driving, the climate system will start blowing cold air across the dashboard. Since this occurs in both of my cars, I was thinking that maybe these shutters are causing that problem. Thoughts? (And should I start a new thread?)
I’m curious. I don’t own an Accord yet, but what do these shutters do?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
When closed, they make the car more aerodynamic, but reduce engine cooling. That helps it to warm up faster, but you can't do it too long.
Oh so, if the shutters are closed, say while idling, the engine can stay warm longer (in winter) without the need to turn it on constantly? Like, with my current Sonata Hybrid, when I’m idling and it’s cold outside, my engine constantly pops on even though my battery charge level is high.

Does anyone have any knowledge about torque and horsepower comparisons of the hybrid version vs. the non hybrid 2.0 version? Everything I see online is seemingly giving me different values. Like, the hybrid version is showing up as 143 hp and another website is showing as 215hp, etc.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Does anyone have any knowledge about torque and horsepower comparisons of the hybrid version vs. the non hybrid 2.0 version? Everything I see online is seemingly giving me different values. Like, the hybrid version is showing up as 143 hp and another website is showing as 215hp, etc.
^see post #4
Well, Post #4 is not very complete about the hybrid, is it?

The ICE has 143 HP @ 6200 rpm, and 129 lb-ft at 3500 rpm. The torque value is completely irrelevant, as it will never be applied to the wheels. The HP value has some relevance, but not much. It is the electrical power the ICE can produce through the generator. Some reviewers who are too lazy to understand how a hybrid works don't bother to understand these points. This applies to any review that draws conclusions from these numbers.

The traction motor is rated at 181 hp, and 232.2 lb-ft. Honda is currently saying the 232.2 hp applied between 0 and 2000 rpm, but in fact it goes up to 181*5252/232.2 = 4100 rpm. That is, the rpms where 232.2 lb-ft is 181 HP.
  • The 232.2 lb-ft limit is determined by the maximum sustained current that the motor is rated for. Torque is approximately proportional to current.
  • The 181 HP limit is determined by the maximum sustained power that the motor is rated for.
Two understand how to use these numbers, you need to know the hybrid 's three propulsion modes:
  1. EV drive. The motor propels the car, powered by only the battery. It's power is limited by the power of the battery, which isn't much. Nowhere near 181 HP.
  2. Hybrid drive. The motor propels the car, powered by the battery and the ICE-driven generator. The combination can, presumably, exceed 212 HP.
  3. Engine Drive. In low-power situations, and at speeds above about 45 mph, the engine engages an overdrive gear and drives the car. The motor can add power to it, or tap some off to charge the battery.
    1. The car would have to be going over 160 mph for the engine to be running at 6200 rpm. So the 143 HP number won't ever apply in Engine Drive.
Honda advertises a combined 212 HP. This also can't apply to Engine Drive. The Clarity uses the same 181 HP motor, the same 212 combined HP, but only a 126 HP engine So they can't combine, in Engine Drive, to the same value. Speculation I've seen says that the motor is rated for 212 HP bursts.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Maybe the 2019s get less expensive in December....
My 2019 1.5T sport was discounted to 23,6xx for the week before thanksgiving in 2019 in Hartford CT. It was one of 3 manuals in the exact same package, the only difference being the VIN. Add in the "multi car discount" and I got it for 22,9xx before taxes and fees and all that. That's a 27k car for 23k, not a bad discount, and much better than what I allowed to happen to me when I got my 2014 LX, which pretty much resulted in months of regret (not aboutt he car, but rather my inability to haggle)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the market for a new Accord. My 2000 Accord I've been driving 20 years will go about 78 before it starts to get whiny (136 HP). Anyone know what the tach read out is at 85 mph on the hybrid vs. the regular 2.0 liter vs. the 1.5 liter? I'd like a smoother ride.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
85 with the 1.5 with a 6 speed is about 3k in 6th gear. (really about 3k at or just above 80) hope that helps

·
Registered
150 Posts
The reason there is usually a price difference is because car makers usually raise the price on new model years. In this case Honda raised the price $150 on the new model years. There are several articles on the 2020 that mention this. The willingness for a dealership to negotiate depends on the owners. If they won't deal find another place that will.

85 mph in the Hybrid is usually about....oh yeah no tachometer on it and the engine is only charging the battery at that point unless you are accelerating full throttle ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
85 mph in the Hybrid is usually about....oh yeah no tachometer on it and the engine is only charging the battery at that point unless you are accelerating full throttle ;)
About 3150 rpm. The optimum power at that speed is about 55 HP, which should be more than enough to cruise on flat ground.

I lost the details in a hard-disk crash, but what I recall from calculations based on the gear ratios, is that 54 mph corresponds with the engine's efficiency "sweet spot" at 2000 rpm. This is consistent with a youtube video that put a tachometer on the 2017 HAH (same engine and gear ratios), and was doing about 62 mph (a guess from a partially-obscured analog speedometer) at 2338 rpm.

But the engine+generator isn't "only charging the battery" with the clutch engaged. All its electrical power is sent to the Power Control Unit, which splits it between the motor and the battery. The point is that the battery, and anything to do with it, is not a part of the electrical transmission system between the engine and the wheels. That also means that regenerative braking, which is controlled by the flow of electricity between the PCU and the battery, can have no effect on acceleration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 2018 Accord 2.0 EX-L back in the fall of 2018. It replaced my 2002 Accord sedan and I now feel like I'm driving a luxury car. The 2.0 has plenty of kick and the mileage around town is in the mid 20's....all the way up to mid-upper 30's on long road trips....totally happy with it. Although I initially looked at the hybrid, I shied away due largely to the lack of history of the powerplant. If you haven't bought yet, I'd +1 for the 2.0.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Although I initially looked at the hybrid, I shied away due largely to the lack of history of the powerplant. If you haven't bought yet, I'd +1 for the 2.0.
For the record, the hybrid "powerplant" was introduced in 2014 the Accord Plug-in Hybrid (9th gen). You can find a subforum about it on this site. It was discontinued as a plug-in after 2015, and re-introduced in 2017 as a non-plug-in, with just a few tweaks. Six years is a lot of history. One of the reasons I bought one was the proven history

I put "powerplant" in quotes because it isn't single entity. There is the 2.0L Atkinson-cycle engine. Which is a Honda engine, so I shouldn't have to say more. There are the two motor-generators, which almost never have problems no matter who makes them. And there is a clutch that engages and disengages only under computer-controlled rpm matching.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts