Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Can't Find the 3rd Brake Light Wiring??!!

21K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  emeron 
#1 ·
Hey guys I need your help on this.

I'm trying to install my KAHTEC smart stop delay relay on the 3rd brake light(sedan), but I can't seem to find the dang wiring for it. I opened the trunk and released a wire harness attached to the black box behind the trunk light...but it wasn't (stepped on the brake to check after releasing the wire harness from the black box, but still lit up).

Can someone show me where it is??:dunno:

#2 ·
It's behind the rear seat. And runs under the rear deck hooked to it in several places. There was no slack in mine so go easy on it. It has a plug on the driver side about half way up maybe a little higher. I don't have pictures I was just replacing speakers/sub and sound deading. Hope this helps. Search for removing the rear seat if you don't know how. That can be a little tricky.

#3 ·
The wire is very easy to get to.

1.) Pop up the rear seat bottom. There are two tabs on you just press with your fingers and pull then the seat bottom comes up.

2.) The driver side seat back cushion needs to come out which will reveal the brake light wire. I believe it is just a simple 10mm screw. Then to pop off the top you want to get a flathead and pry out the tab holding it into the metal chassis. Be careful cause this can break if you pull it the wrong way. In fact you probably shouldn't pull. just use the flat head to pry/pop it out.

#4 ·
Same deal here. I removed rear seat bottom but seat backs fold forward so there is no wiring anywhere there. Does anyone know how or where to tap into the wiring for the 3rd brake light? My 2012 Accord was very easy.... this 2014 is not the same. Wing spoiler is awesome, but I need help finding the wiring. Thanks. And yes, I did search extensively but only found this post.

#5 ·
It's behind the outer upper bolster on the drivers Side, harness is up near the top. The part that does not fold down by the door that the seatbelt drapes over. That is where my Honda wing spoiler plugs into the factory circuit.

Jay

Reactions: acutee
#8 ·
It looks good, love the ***. I would have went *** if it was available in a stick.

My suggestion is to have your rear window retinted. This time remove the deck cover and have them go over the CHMSL so you can not see it. I had mine done over with 20% and you can barely see the white lens, you have to know its there to see it.

Jay

#9 ·
So with your 3rd brake light blinking 6 times because of this mod, will it cause who ever is behind you to back off, or get tailgate more closely? :dunno:

#10 ·
Honestly its just more an "attention getter" for those either texting or drivers who just dont pay attention to the brakes in front of them. Here in Houston, it's always bumper to bumper during peak traffic, and there is always that idiot following too close and doesnt stop when they should.

Sooooo in short, this helps grab their attention.
Another plus, it looks like the F1 style 3rd brake light flasher but on top instead of at the bottom like the 370z or BRZ.

The Asian 9th gen models have the MAIN 2 LED brake lights flash when braking. That was just too much for my liking.

#13 ·
Thanks to everyone that posted the tips. I removed the outer upper bolster fairly easily and found the connector as shown in the photo. It made the connection very easy. It would have been even easier to just pop off the access panel shown and make the connection to the wires there. Great ideas! Everything works perfect. It was not this difficult to access the 3rd brake light wiring on the 2012 Accord!
I just had the windows tinted this week (car isn't even registered or tagged yet) with high end ceramic 20% tinting. I coulda done the entire back window. Can't afford to do it twice, but shoulda done it!

Attachments

Reactions: acutee
#15 ·
Installed model FLSHR-S1 3rd brake light flasher

2017 Honda Accord - Lifted aft left corner of lower rear seat cushion (rear passenger driver's side) approximately 4 inches (no tab removal required). Removed 10mm bolt in aft left seat back (rear passenger driver's side) outer bolster lower plastic mount (white plastic tab below seat bottom; lifted and held with left hand). Removed aft left seat back bolster (non-movable piece under left rear passenger seat belt should/lap strap). CAUTION - upper snap in mount of aft left seat back bolster easily broken. Small white 2 wire plug with green and black wires attached to seat back metal structure assembly is 3rd Brake Light wire harness plug. I installed the FLSHR-S1 assembly on the wire harness prior to the plug (green and black wires - works exactly the same) as per the instructions from the website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.