Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4 Cyl with the original battery. My car has been running pretty well and I haven't had any trouble starting it even as the weather has been getting colder. This morning it was around 38 degrees...the car started fine and I decided to go get my emissions testing done since its due by the end of the month. When I got there, I turned the car off and on twice while waiting in line. When it was my turn, the guy connected the computer to my car, tried to start it, and it just made a clicking sound and the dashboard lights flickered on and off.

Fortunately, they had a portable jump starter and the car started up again. My clock was flashing and the radio was asking for a codes...which I believe indicates the battery failed or was disconnected. When I got to work, I turned off the car, attempted to start it again, and it started running just fine. Afterwards, I borrowed a multimeter from someone and measured the voltage on the battery. The battery measured around 12.8V while off and 14.2V while idling. I measured the voltage while starting the car and it dropped down to around 9.8V for a split second. I know starting the car is more about current vs voltage...but I think if the voltage drops to low, its a good indication it's struggling to output enough current?

Anyways, I'm wondering if I should get the battery replaced, even though my car is starting now? Or if I'm missing something else that could have caused the issue?

Thanks

·
Supporting Vendor
655 Posts
Before you consider replacing your battery, check your battery cables / connections etc...if the wires are loose on the terminals it may cause some issues.

Your battery is 4 almost 5 years old, which is about typical for the life-expectancy of an OEM battery.

It's also possible that the shop damaged it with the portable jump starter, but not highly likely.

Buy an Optima at Sam's or Costco for $150 and call it a day. It'll last for the rest of the time you own the car.

Nick C.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
If your going to buy a battery, buy the larger V6 battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I forgot to mention that...I checked the cables and connections and everything seemed secure without much visible corrosion.

Before you consider replacing your battery, check your battery cables / connections etc...if the wires are loose on the terminals it may cause some issues.

Your battery is 4 almost 5 years old, which is about typical for the life-expectancy of an OEM battery.

It's also possible that the shop damaged it with the portable jump starter, but not highly likely.

Buy an Optima at Sam's or Costco for $150 and call it a day. It'll last for the rest of the time you own the car.

Nick C.
Is the Optima really that much better vs the AutoCraft Gold brand from Advance Auto Parts? The AutoCraft is $87 with coupon vs $137 with coupon for an Optima YellowTop.

Thanks again!

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Get the group 24F (make sure it's 24F and NOT 24) and it'll fit. You have to modify the bracket that holds the battery down, but it's easily done with a hammer. Or just buy the V6 bracket.

And I'm rolling a Duralast Gold battery from Autozone.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,164 Posts
Purchase by cold cranking amps (higher is better) and over the counter replacement warranty. The Duralast Gold mentioned above has a 3 year over the counter exchange for instance.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Will it fit without any modifications? What's the Group Size for the V6?
Yes it will fit. Just eliminate smaller battery box, and flatten tie down bracket. Larger V6 battery has more cold cranking amp than smaller 4 cyl battery.

Or purchase new tie down 31512-TA0-A10. Box 31531-TA0-A10

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
Very happy with Sears Diehard I bought for my Accord. Even when new my Accord would crank slowly in cold weather. The Diehard cranks likes it's summer even in the cold of an ottawa winter. Highly recommend it.

·
"Old School" Shifter
380 Posts
Walmart Maxx for less than $100. 3 years replacement-- 750 cca-- best part is there is a Walmart in just about every town so if you need to replace it on a vacation or a road trip- chances are there is one nearby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts