Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
hot garbage
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is a repost.

interesting regarding color choices in 6mt:

"We brought up this point of view with Honda, which basically said we should just be happy there’s a manual transmission at all. The Accord Sport model is selling well (exceeding expectations, Honda says), making up about 21 percent of four-cylinder Accord sales, but the take rate for the six-speed is only 7 percent. Overall, manual-equipped Accords represent just 3 percent of volume. Honda says keeping build-combination complexity low contributes to manufacturing and distribution efficiency, which helps keep the base price of the Accord Sport at just $24,505. That’s only $1000 more than a Civic Si sedan, so perhaps we should stop complaining."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ort-sedan-manual-long-term-test-update-review

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I applaud Honda for offering a mid-sized sedan with a Manual transmission. It is the reason I bought a Honda and did not consider many other mid-sized cars. It also lead to the purchase of an Odyssey 2 months later.

As an Engineer who works in manufacturing I understand the inefficiencies that offering a Manual could pose.

I have two suggestions to get around this.

* Make the manual a no cost option and then offer the full color pallet. I would pay the same price as an auto to get what color I wanted on my EX. Let's face it, people don't buy manuals for the cost savings or fuel efficiency gains. It's enthusiasts that buy then and we will pay for our drug.
* Change the two colors offered each year. Why offer the same two colors year after year? Keep it fresh. Hell, make them a special edition or something. Market the hell out of it. There are a lot of people who don't know that an Accord even comes with a manual anymore.

Jay

·
No PRND
583 Posts
The CD update was long overdue and seemed to be a boring read for me. The brake issue they are having scares me but I bet they are riding them hard quite a bit. I was surprised they didn't mention the body roll with all that hard driving. They seem to love the car!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I applaud Honda for offering a mid-sized sedan with a Manual transmission. It is the reason I bought a Honda and did not consider many other mid-sized cars. It also lead to the purchase of an Odyssey 2 months later.

As an Engineer who works in manufacturing I understand the inefficiencies that offering a Manual could pose.

* Make the manual a no cost option and then offer the full color pallet. I would pay the same price as an auto to get what color I wanted on my EX. Let's face it, people don't buy manuals for the cost savings or fuel efficiency gains. It's enthusiasts that buy then and we will pay for our drug.
* Change the two colors offered each year. Why offer the same two colors year after year? Keep it fresh. Hell, make them a special edition or something. Market the hell out of it. There are a lot of people who don't know that an Accord even comes with a manual anymore.

Jay
Well - I get that the car enthusiasts may love it - but from a business standpoint it doesn't pay to throw a lot of marketing dollars at a car that's only 3% of your market.

Seriously - how much room for growth is there from that 3%?

·
Registered
401 Posts
In a market where every sale counts (best selling car title) they should want every sale they can get manual or not.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
In a market where every sale counts (best selling car title) they should want every sale they can get manual or not.
Right - that's why you invest and target your marketing budget where it can have the best ROI - the broadest segment - not a tiny car enthusiast segment.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Well - I get that the car enthusiasts may love it - but from a business standpoint it doesn't pay to throw a lot of marketing dollars at a car that's only 3% of your market.

Seriously - how much room for growth is there from that 3%?
In theory 97%. But even if they get to 6% they doubled the sales of the manual with probably no cannibalization of automatic sales. So it's added movement.

There is no modestly equipped manual midsized car out there. There is no Sports Sedan out there, either. The Maxima is DOA and not relevant as a sports sedan anymore. Many car companies have created whole models to fill this void (Taurus SHO, Impala SS) and Honda had it sitting on the shelf ready to go with a few small tweaks.

Cars that stick out do so because they step outside the lines. These cars create showroom traffic that lead to other sales, as well. If Honda created a Sportier Accord, I mean like an Accord Si it would create "buzz". Buzz is what gets people talking about your product and gets them in your showroom.

Jay

·
Registered
357 Posts
So y don't they jus include at least two more colors within that 3%:lmao:..I jus don't buy it...especially when the Canadian accords are built in the same factory..Hondas decision on this is NEVER gonna make sense too me!!!..IMHO..black..white..and silver would have been a happy medium I guess...and then the way the jump around on the color selection on the diff trims..lx only modern and silver..then sport only black and modern ..and only black on 4 cyl coupes..red..black and modern on 6 cyl coupes..who does that!!!!!..mind boggling...wouldn't a white sport 6MT and a white V6 coupe with black leather sell like crazy!!..I believe so..honda..u guys failed miserably on this...sorry lol...jus had too vent

·
Registered
401 Posts
Right - that's why you invest and target your marketing budget where it can have the best ROI - the broadest segment - not a tiny car enthusiast segment.
You better get to Honda and let them know before they come out with an s2000 successor. They might be surprised to learn enthusiasts don't matter.

I better sell my Miata too.....I mean what kind of person buys an impractical sports car??????

Silly enthusiasts. What was I thinking? Maybe we should all just buy what is easiest for the car company to make. There. Problem solved.

·
Registered
401 Posts
One other point. The enthusiast market is what made Honda and BMW the companies they are today. But you may not realize that.......

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I read the entire article and agree with Honda's claim that only 3% of all Accord sales equates to two color choices. I am also concerned about the brakes. My wife's Fit just got it's first set of front pads at 50,009 miles. I wonder how much of their brake issues is because they have been driving aggressively (crazy), to put it mildly. The Sport's a good buy regardless of the transmission choice. I still think the 10th. generation Accord will not be offered with a manual or a geared automatic.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Honda if ur listening or reading...come out with a white and silver 6MT sport for the 2015 model year,along with the black and modern steel..I would love too be a fly on the wall at the board meeting regarding this:lmao:..do the right thing honda.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Jay
As you said enthusiasts would pay the extra money for the manual. Same as color, color wont stop a enthusiast from buying the car. Base line is color is not a major factor to determine ones would buy the car or not.

lets say, you like blue, but it is 1k more compare to the black. Do you think most people will still go for the blue? assume they all like blue better.

IMO most people will take the black with the 1k save instead of their favor color.
so if that extra cost wont bother you, colors won't either.

All these are from the business stand point.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
In theory 97%. But even if they get to 6% they doubled the sales of the manual with probably no cannibalization of automatic sales. So it's added movement.

There is no modestly equipped manual midsized car out there. There is no Sports Sedan out there, either. The Maxima is DOA and not relevant as a sports sedan anymore. Many car companies have created whole models to fill this void (Taurus SHO, Impala SS) and Honda had it sitting on the shelf ready to go with a few small tweaks.

Jay
I think the WRX falls into that category - but the truth if there were a big demand for them the auto industry would be making more of them. I'm sure they do a lot of research into that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
One other point. The enthusiast market is what made Honda and BMW the companies they are today. But you may not realize that.......
BMW maybe - not Honda. I bought my first Honda in 1988 - it was a 1986 Accord LX - manual transmission! I bought it because they were making a car that was significantly better than the American manufacturers in reliability. That's what Honda built on - reliable cars that held a decent value over time. I suspect the enthusiasts came in because Honda was an engineering company back then - things like the double wishbone suspension made them fun to drive and attractive to the enthusiasts - but that's not why the masses started to buy them.

I'm not saying that segment doesn't matter - I'm saying from a pure business decision it doesn't make sense to put a big effort in growing that market when it's limited by definition. Who do you think makes more money - Autozone (selling to everybody) or a Summit Racing (selling to the enthusiasts)?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've had the same issue with my brakes at 13,000 miles and again at 28,000. I'll be taking it in again but am seriously considering new brakes. Only problem is justifying the 1,600 - 2,000 for them (stoptech)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've had the same issue with my brakes at 13,000 miles and again at 28,000. I'll be taking it in again but am seriously considering new brakes. Only problem is justifying the 1,600 - 2,000 for them (stoptech)
Or, alternatively:
Rocket Man stated the problem and a solution.

mickey914 stated another solution- go aftermarket on rotors and pads.

I ordered my replacement set from BrakeMotive here in Chicago. 4 cross-drilled and slotted rotors, and ceramic pads all the way around for about $160 delivered. And those rotors are zinc-plated so no more rusty wheel hubs. Brake jobs are easy- needing only basic tools. Stealership wanted $900 for all new brakes (and to bleed system). No thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
And neither company is anything like they were in the '60s and '70s -- certainly not BMW. If you doubt that, go to their boards and read what has become of the 3 & 5 Series. And the changes are exactly what the vast majority of what new buyers want, a fact clearly reflected by the only way auto manufacturers keep score -- with ever-higher monthly/ yearly sales numbers. Honda is no different.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts