Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've searched the forums and wasn't able to find an answer. Anyways whenever i go to work, i park my car outside and sometimes there's shade from the trees and sometimes there isn't. But 3 times already after being left in the heat. Whenever I've come back and turned the car on, the car struggled to start. First time it happened i thought i didn't fully turn the key. And now the 3rd time its happened it didn't want to start it just struggled at first but on the second try it started again. Kinda of wanted to see if i can find help here before i take it to the dealer. thanks.

·
Elvira - the car
3,496 Posts
i've searched the forums and wasn't able to find an answer. Anyways whenever i go to work, i park my car outside and sometimes there's shade from the trees and sometimes there isn't. But 3 times already after being left in the heat. Whenever I've come back and turned the car on, the car struggled to start. First time it happened i thought i didn't fully turn the key. And now the 3rd time its happened it didn't want to start it just struggled at first but on the second try it started again. Kinda of wanted to see if i can find help here before i take it to the dealer. thanks.
Welcome to the forum duoexo.

Few things need some quick answers if you would.

Model of Accord
Year
Maintenance performed
Any mods?
Miles
Where are you located? State of residence helps with what climate you encounter.
Original battery?

Does engine crank then start? No crank? Long time to fire up engine after long cranking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum duoexo.

Few things need some quick answers if you would.

Model of Accord
Year
Maintenance performed
Any mods?
Miles
Where are you located? State of residence helps with what climate you encounter.
Original battery?

Does engine crank then start? No crank? Long time to fire up engine after long cranking?
14 Accord EX. The card has no mods stock. Im in CA with 9k miles. No maintenance performed on the car other than cosmetic. The times that it's occurred the engine cranked for a long time then started. This last time it cranked for too long that i was weary about it. Sorry still new, been always in the forums but finally decided to sign up.

·
Elvira - the car
3,496 Posts
14 Accord EX. The card has no mods stock. Im in CA with 9k miles. No maintenance performed on the car other than cosmetic. The times that it's occurred the engine cranked for a long time then started. This last time it cranked for too long that i was weary about it. Sorry still new, been always in the forums but finally decided to sign up.
No problem duo, when you are allowed to add a signature add those items so we can make a better response on other questions. I think it's after 3 or 5 posts?

Anyway, 9K miles driven infrequently or driven everyday?

My bad since I should have asked engine /trans setup, but I'll guess 4 cyl with the little CCA battery. CA heat may do a number on the battery. If driven infrequently the car hardly ever charges the battery.

Have you or can you measure the voltage of the battery with a voltmeter?

Check the tightness of the clamps on the battery posts too. Seriously if they are somewhat loose the heat may make it worse.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
If your car is only a year and some months old and you're experiencing this nonsense, I'd say take it to the dealer. You should still be under warranty, I think.

Either which way, good luck getting it situated. I got my battery replaced 2 months after I got my car last year. When I got the car, the dealer (this was in Florida) said it was a brand new battery.. car was sold as-is though, so I can't really complain. Took it to my now go-to Honda shop/dealership here in CT and my service advisor told me the battery's original rating was 500cca or something like that. 500 or 475. I don't remember. I was thinking the spark plugs might've been on their last leg...

My battery was ACTUALLY at like 40cca or so. ALMOST every other start took an embarrassing super-long crank. So I had to get a new battery. Cost me $115 plus I got a beefed up battery, which I believe is 550cca along with the warranty!

Now, I'm not saying that a bad battery may be the case with your car, just figured I'd share some more insight on top of the knowledge that @Miker shared. Just my couple of cents :cool:

·
HK Moderator
13,911 Posts
Heat kills a battery's life....

...for every 15 degrees increment above 80 degrees F, halve the expected battery life.

May have been a bad battery from the get go, and is now failing. Covered under warranty...

·
Registered
639 Posts
I haven't heard of vapor lock since they started putting the fuel pump in the gas tank, but if it cranks for a long time it doesn't sound like the battery to me. When my battery went, it didn't crank at all. Please report back after you have it serviced--I'm curious.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I would not think there would be vapor lock in a DI engine, although it might be a weak fuel pump. If it is easy to recreate then give the dealer a chance to figure it out. If it is intermittent that is going to be harder to solve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts