Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Accord manual transmission and it seems to jerk every time I let off the gas when in second or first gear. Like if I am in a parking lot and in second gear looking for a parking spot it would jerk when I let off the gas and not use the clutch at all. Is this because it is a manual? Or something else?

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
V6? 4cyl? i get the same thing with my car (AT) at low speeds when the car is in first. most noticeable in traffic. kinda annoying at times but i think its normal.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I noticed a lot of this when I first bought the car. Seems to have mostly gone away. Not sure if thats from break in or if my driving has just adjusted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a v6 with 30k miles and I don't think this has happened in other MT car I have driven but it has been a while since then.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is common with a manual. Takes some finesse and getting used to. Just taking your foot off the gas altogether with a manual let's the transmission decide how smooth the deceleration is, I recommend the brakes instead ;)

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
Its a v6 with 30k miles and I don't think this has happened in other MT car I have driven but it has been a while since then.
Agree with what everyone's saying. This is going to be more noticeable with the V6 MT as that motor has a more aggressive throttle map and has higher torque and more engine braking capability. 1st gear will buck when you let off the throttle and 2nd will sometimes as well for me. You can just clutch in to alleviate this or shift up and idle in a higher gear to avoid bucking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just bought a v6 AT and I have actually noticed that the car does a lot more engine breaking when coming to a stop than other ATs I've driven. In other words, I can feel the car downshifting when I cruise to a stop. Assuming this is normal for the car? It's brand new, less than 1k miles.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It's all about training the right foot. Ease on/off the throttle gently. There's a point where the car transitions from static/acceleration/deceleration. Every manual does this. Automatics have the torque converter which dampens this effect.

I'm not sure how the MT honda is geared, but if possible, anything over 5mph, use 2nd gear. Numerical gear ratio is lower (taller gear) so this effect is less. You'll probably be at idle or slightly above it.

To the OP is this a first MT car you've owned?

·
2014 Accord EX white
208 Posts
if the OP has been driving manual cars for as long as he states then i doubt its an issue of letting of he drive ability such as easing off the clutch and what not.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the confusion, but yes it is the first MT I have owned but I have driven my friends 4runner or pathfinder that was manual many times in the past but that was years ago so I do not remember if I had this issue. Anyways it just seems that I just have to relearn how to drive a MT. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
if the OP has been driving manual cars for as long as he states then i doubt its an issue of letting of he drive ability such as easing off the clutch and what not.....
I'm not sure what the second part of your statement is trying to say.

I prefer to use the throttle to control speed unless parallel parking or some other maneuver where this is not possible. Slipping clutch = clutch wear. 2nd gear should be plenty to putt along in a parking lot at low speeds and to pull into a spot. Ymmv.

Solidno8, as you probably recall, both pedals need to be timed appropriately in both engagement and disengagement. Practice some more and figure out how the trans performs.

FWIW, every manual I've ever driven and ridden has performed like this. Bikes are the worst in 1st gear. Especially those that don't have the off idle fueling dialed in. A lot like riding a bucking horse.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Happens in my I4 too. I'm pretty mindful of coming off the gas gently in 1st at this point, but it still seems like a very fine line between acceleration and nothing.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If the car is snappy when you take your foot of the gas it generally means you are in too low of a gear. First is really only for starting off. If you are driving at any steady speed faster than a walk second gear is better.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, but yes it is the first MT I have owned but I have driven my friends 4runner or pathfinder that was manual many times in the past but that was years ago so I do not remember if I had this issue. Anyways it just seems that I just have to relearn how to drive a MT. Thanks for the help guys.
It takes times to get used to every single MT car. The clutches and throttles are all different. You aren't really a driver in an auto IMO. Just a stop and go jockey with very little finesse. Don't worry cause you'll get the hang of it.

·
2014 Accord EX white
208 Posts
well i think this answers the question here

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
One thing to make the throttle response less aggressive is to use eco mode.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts