Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have 2020 accord 1.5t with 3500 miles on it.

1) i have noticed that when i reach my destination , i put transmission in park and then turnoff the engine. then take off foot from brake pedal the car moves little bit forward and then settles itself. note i dont set parking brake at this time.

2) if i set the parking brake and then release brake pedal , then car does not move.

3) this moving thing and then settling become more pertinent ,when i park downhill or uphill.

is there something to worry about?

·
Registered
2019 Platinum Pearl White 2.0 Sport 6MT
222 Posts
Not sure if I'm just not in the know with new automatics, but why do you turn the engine off and then let off the brake pedal? (When i had an automatic i always put the car in park, let off the brake, and then shut the engine off.)

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You're leaning the car on the pawl inside the transmission. That's what you have the parking brake for.

Reactions: enne

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,066 Posts
I've been told that the proper way to park an automatic is to put your foot on the brake pedal, shift to neutral, pull the parking brake up, and then shift into park. When you shift directly into park, you're putting the car's entire weight on a tiny parking pawl inside the transmission, which causes the movement you're referring to.

You should use your parking brake.

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
My girlfriend has a civic with the CVT and whenever it goes from D to P it also rocks forward slightly even if the car is facing up an incline. On normal autos they roll back on an incline.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,961 Posts
I put my cars into park and then pull the parking brake, with my foot on the pedal. It doesn't roll forward when I do that. Maybe newer ones do, idk.

In any case, what OP is describing is and has always been normal for auto transmissions with parking pawls built into them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stop where you want. Engage parking brake. Put in park. Release brake. O stop where you want put in park. Depends on preference. Never really done the parking brake thing on automatics personally but I know that is less than ideal especially on hills. I a man from up north though and used to old cars so either the parking brake doesn't work or it seizes on you when you use it. Is this a first vehicle? It is definitely normal operation so no worries.

·
Registered
'07 SE A/T V6 @200K. Her name is Babe, My Babe
44 Posts
i have 2020 accord 1.5t with 3500 miles on it.

1) i have noticed that when i reach my destination , i put transmission in park and then turnoff the engine. then take off foot from brake pedal the car moves little bit forward and then settles itself. note i dont set parking brake at this time.

2) if i set the parking brake and then release brake pedal , then car does not move.

3) this moving thing and then settling become more pertinent ,when i park downhill or uphill.

is there something to worry about?
A rule of thumb for me, has been always to apply the PARKING brake before letting go of the brake.

In automatic transmissions, every gear engages(except for neutral) when you put it in PARK, the tires LOCK and basically one tire is set to go forward and the other one goes backwards(correct me if wrong plz) so with the weight of the car, and any inclination, you might feel the car rocking, it is normal but in THEORY, you're stressing the transmission with the weight of the car, if you put the vehicle's park brake on before letting go of the brake, you will not feel any "rocking movevent" because the weight of the car is being held by it...

or something like that :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Is this a freaking troll thread? OP doesn't use the parking brake and asks if it rests on the park level? 10/10! No one with 3 brain cells would put a ton and a quarter vehicle on a metal french fry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts