Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not trying to go off topic at all, but I had the chance to spend some time with my mother-in-law's brand new Honda HRV the other day. I really liked the car, and felt like it was very well designed from an aesthetic standpoint. When I popped the hood on the car, my opinion started to drop a little. The engine they put into the new HRV seems extremely small. While I like that the engine is naturally aspirated, it's a 1.8 litre, which does not seem big enough to move a car this heavy. I'm not a mechanic nor an expert on how engines work, but as a general rule, I'd like the engine installed in my car to be large enough to handle the load. I also thought that some of the parts were a little flimsy. For example, the dipstick felt more like a kids toy than a legitimate tool for checking the oil level. I understand that most car companies are moving away from metal dipsticks, but this particular part felt like someone cut it out of a 3-D printer.

I still think that Honda makes great vehicles, but I definitely find the engine design a little concerning in some of these new vehicles. I too like to get the best possible MPG, but not to a point where the engine is too small. Not to mention, at what most of these new Honda models cost, I would hope they wouldn't cheapen out in the strangest places.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,927 Posts
Just keep the Civic.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Obviously in reliability a newer Honda won't compare to something like your 07 Civic, but I don't think the 2.0T is known for extreme problems or anything. Of course, it hasn't been around for too long, so there's not as much data on longevity.

Though I wouldn't blame only the turbocharged engine for a lack of reliability. Honda as a whole has gotten less reliable in the past few years.
This is interesting and I haven't really been able to find a definite answer. Is the K20 in the Accord completely brand new (even that's not really the case as the car came out 5 years ago, late 2017 as 2018 model). Or does it share a lot of DNA with K-series of the past, particularly the K24 from late 2012 (model year 2013) and up. That's the year K24 went direct injection. How similar are the K20 and K24? It would be cool to hear from someone who knows.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey folks,

Absolute car noob here, I currently own a 2007 Civic EX, and it has lasted me for a good 15 years and 350k, its going strong but its time to replace it. I was going to get a 2019 2.0L accord (sport or touring) and was doing some research, I expected my maintenance costs to go up considering it was a fancier car but while doing some research I learned this accord has a turbocharged engine, and have learned turbocharged engines are not as reliable. I was wondering if this means that I will have:
  • significantly more expensive maintenance?
  • a car more sensitive to problems?
  • A car that won't last as long?
I really assumed that this accord would also last a nice 15 years and 350+km, like my civic, but its disheartening to know this isn't the case. I would love some clarification,
Over the past ten years I owned and used these cars:

1- 2005 Nissan Pathfinder
2- 2012 Toyota Corolla
3- 2014 Mazda 6
4- 2017 Nissan Altima V6 SL
5- 2018 Honda Accord 2.0 Sport (still own)

I used every car on average of two years and drove it roughly 100,000 KM and surprisingly the Accord came on the top of the league, even though it's the most advanced one in terms of technology and features. Remember when you buy the Accord you buy a Honda, and you won't regret it. Second car would be the Mazda 6. If you can wait and you want my advice, wait for the new Accord and I think it will be 2022 or 2023.

·
Registered
340 Posts
:unsure:

Today: July 16, 2021
10th gen world debut: July 14, 2017
Went on sale: October 18, 2017

2021 - 2017 = 4
The tenth-generation Accord was unveiled on 14 July 2017. Production began on 18 September 2017 and sales began on 18 October 2017 in the United States as a 2018 model. The optional 2.0-liter VTEC turbo four-cylinder engine, which replaced the V6 engine option, was available beginning December 2017.The Accord hybrid went on sale in March 2018.

I see what you're saying. I was generalizing but I get the point. 4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So what is your budget? Shallow or deep pockets?

You can always drop new drive train into your Civvy for a quarter of new base anything. Drive it for another 300000 km. That’s your shallow budget.

The HAH comes with a 2.0L engine and has enough spunk to get you in traffic. There’s your deepest pockets budget.
Honestly more than a budget issue I was just trying to understand what I'm getting myself into. Fortunately the money isnt an issue, I just wanted to know how much money I should look to spend. I am just new to cars in general and am learning

They are different. The Sport has a sport-tuned suspension that handles really nicely- somewhat at the expense of ride quality. The Touring trim has adaptive dampers with two different driving modes. Normal mode is tailored towards providing a nice ride quality. Selecting 'sport' mode improves handling by a decent amount- but it also changes the gearing and the car accelerates a lot more aggressively- so MPG takes a beating. With a Touring, there's no way to set the dampers into sport mode unless you also put the gearing into the more aggressive mode.

The Sport's suspension is always set to a more sporty mode- as it does not have adaptive dampers- and it's always set on the more sporty side... but you can select eco or normal mode still- so you can get the sportier handling without putting the car into sport mode- which causes MPG to suffer.

Hopefully that makes sense.
That makes complete sense, thanks for letting me know. So is there a very noticeable difference of the touring in sport mode vs just the sport line?

I don't mean any offense by this - but based on this post and your other post, why don't you just get another Civic (or maybe a Camry)?
Honestly, I'm very much in a learning stage right now, there are a ton of terms and things I don't know or understand. I haven't eliminated those options but I just really like the look and feel of the accord I tested, so I would really like the accord but would also like to know what I'm getting myself into

You still haven't convinced me you need to replace the Civic.
haha I definitely dont NEED to at all, the civic runs beautifully, however I have wanted to get something with some more zip and bells and whistles, the accord seems like the best thing to upgrade to and give my younger sibling the civic.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The engine they put into the new HRV seems extremely small. While I like that the engine is naturally aspirated, it's a 1.8 litre, which does not seem big enough to move a car this heavy. I'm not a mechanic nor an expert on how engines work
Would this satisfy your viewing pleasure?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Would this satisfy your viewing pleasure?
View attachment 532374
It has nothing to do with how it looks, and everything to do with how powerful the engine actually is. 1.5 litres does not inspire enough confidence for lasting 200k+ miles. But who knows? It's new technology and we'll see how it holds up over time.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
haha I definitely dont NEED to at all, the civic runs beautifully, however I have wanted to get something with some more zip and bells and whistles, the accord seems like the best thing to upgrade to and give my younger sibling the civic.
If you can afford it, get the 2.0, you'll never regret the decision...
But if you go the other way and get the 1.5...you may be kicking your own arse in a month or less.

That 2.0T will keep up with any Camry V6.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
340 Posts
This is interesting and I haven't really been able to find a definite answer. Is the K20 in the Accord completely brand new (even that's not really the case as the car came out 5 years ago, late 2017 as 2018 model). Or does it share a lot of DNA with K-series of the past, particularly the K24 from late 2012 (model year 2013) and up. That's the year K24 went direct injection. How similar are the K20 and K24? It would be cool to hear from someone who knows.
Yeah, I certainly have no clue. I looked at the Wikipedia entry for the K20C4 (used in the 2.0T Accords) and the K24W1 (used in the 2013-17 Accord I4) for any clues, but I couldn't find anything.

·
2018 HAH Touring
135 Posts
I considered the 2.0 but decided I do no need that power. I did not want the CVC 1.5. I liked the tech and the way Honda does hybrid, Enjoying the amazing elec torque in the Hybrid. Faster than the 1,5T and better mpg than the 2.0. No turbo, no CVC. A great compromise with all the Touring goodies.

·
Registered
995 Posts
That makes complete sense, thanks for letting me know. So is there a very noticeable difference of the touring in sport mode vs just the sport line?
Yes, there is a difference. Test drive a 2.0t Sport and 2.0t Touring and decide which one best fits your style. Some people prefer the suspension setup on the Sport, while other prefer the softer Touring with the adaptive dampers. When you test drive them, be sure to try out the different modes. Both drive very differently in Eco mode compared to Normal and Sport. All three provide very different experiences. The Eco setting makes the 2.0t feel slow... but will get better fuel economy. Normal will give you decent acceleration. Sport is quick... very quick.

Beware that both the Sport and Touring come with 19" tires... so ride quality and road noise will likely be a bit higher than expected on those two models. Unfortunately, Honda no longer offers the 2.0t engine with 17" wheels and tires. You used to be able to get it with the EXL trim, but the EXL 2.0t was discontinued after the 2020 year.

Some people have bought a Touring and downsized their wheels to the 17" wheel and tire package and seemed happy with it. For me, the 17" tires seem too small for the Accord... I prefer the 19" wheel and tire package... even if it means more road noise.

If you can afford it, get the 2.0, you'll never regret the decision...
But if you go the other way and get the 1.5...you may be kicking your own arse in a month or less.

I have never regretted getting the 2.0t engine. I loved it in my 2019... and I love it in my 2021.

It most certainly will keep up with a Camry V6. Many YouTube videos show that the Accord is actually faster 0-60 than the V6. Don't get me wrong- Toyota's 3.5L V6 is a great engine.... really great actually. It's just that Honda's 2.0t engine is a bit faster off the line.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
231 Posts
Or do what i might do and buy Honda care extended warranty. Not worried about the engine but all the electronics which is the case with a lot of cars. My 97 civic never had issues but it was simple 😎

·
port & polish everything
1,600 Posts
Here's an article about that, it's a bit complicated though as you note because the K series went through several generations and variants. Their reference was the original K20A. They don't have pics of the cams and sprockets. Being OEM turbo the K20C has both intake and exhaust VTC and only exhaust VTEC to spool the turbo faster where possible. I haven't looked at K24W but K24Z only had intake VTC/VTEC being NA.

All the K20s have the same bore and stroke, 86mmx86mm. Same for K24, 87mmx99mm and the K24 is basically a stroker K20. It would be really easy for Honda to build a 2.3T/2.4T but emissions/economy regulations might constrain them. The original RDX was a turbo K23.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have the 2.0/10 in my RDX, and would not hesitate for a moment to get that in the Accord.

My wife has nixed replacing her 2014 Accord, but if I would, it would either be with the Touring or the Touring Hybrid or the EX-L Hybrid.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have the 2.0/10 in my RDX, and would not hesitate for a moment to get that in the Accord.

My wife has nixed replacing her 2014 Accord, but if I would, it would either be with the Touring or the Touring Hybrid or the EX-L Hybrid.
After owning two different Accords with the 2.0t engine, I would never want the base 1.5t engine. It's absolutely fine for daily driving, but I sure I'd be frustrated with its lack of power. The hybrid has a fair amount of power, but it's just not right for me.

I drive the 2.0t Touring while my wife drives a Camry Hybrid, which has 187hp. After driving the Accord, driving my wife's Camry is frustrating due to its lack of power- and that car even has a decent amount of off-the-line torque due to its electric motor.

To me, depending on negotiated price, the Touring is worth it. I would never pay anywhere near sticker price for it- but if you wait until the market calms down it should be possible to get one for $33-34,000 again. Some people were able to negotiate dealers down to roughly $32,000 for a Touring before the market got crazy. That's probably not realistic right now.

The EXL is, at least right now- a weird oddball in the Accord lineup right now- at least with the gas engine. It's priced about $900 (US) lower than the 2.0t Sport. To me, the additional $900 for the larger engine in the Sport trim would be a no-brainer, even if it meant ditching some of the extra features that come with the EXL. (Leather, memory seats, parking sensors, a power passenger seat, and a better stereo). That trim makes more sense in hybrid form though.

Reactions: Xtremsiege2

·
Registered
77 Posts
Go for the accord 2.0 and get a CPO or buy an aftermarket warranty towards the end of the factory warranty. Its a small premium for peace of mind. I can't comment on longevity/warranty(too early into the debut of the engine) but have really enjoyed mine for a little over 2 years as a picky car person. The power and added features are worth it, i'd prefer the leather and cooled seats in the touring but prefer the sport suspension and wheels. New accord looks like a boat, but handles like a sport touring car and looks premium IMO..feel like people are checking my car out 😎

Even the one with the big wing??

·
Registered
995 Posts
Even the one with the big wing??
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. The 3.5L V6 in the Camry TRD is the exact same 3.5L V6 that Toyota offers in all other Camrys. HP and Torque numbers are exactly the same.

301hp, 267 lb-ft of torque. 0-60mph according to MotorTrend is 5.8 seconds. That's exactly the same figure that they got with a Camry XSE V6. The transmission's gearing is exactly the same too.

The Accord's 2.0t engine has 252hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. 0-60mph according to MotorTrend is 5.5 seconds (2021 2.0t Sport trim).

21 - 40 of 50 Posts