Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a 2005 accord (190K miles), the temperature is 20F to give you an idea. The battery is from July 2020, CCA of 450. I have a multimeter coming in tomorrow to do more testing about the battery.

There is a red battery light on the dashboard. Any recommendations on where to start with figuring out the problem?

Thank you

·
Registered
193 Posts
Battery light means the alternator is not working and not charging the battery? how long was it on? You need to jump start it and/or test the battery with a multimeter when you get it.
Are dash lights on? Any flickering when you try to start it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery light means the alternator is not working and not charging the battery? how long was it on? You need to jump start it and/or test the battery with a multimeter when you get it.
Are dash lights on? Any flickering when you try to start it?
The jump start battery I have doesn't seem to do the jump needed and dies out soon. But will be testing the battery tomorrow with the multimeter.

Dash lights up when key is ignition, then flickers when it's trying to start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flicker = dead battery
get a trickle charger to charge up the battery and likely a new alternator
So I live in an apartment and trickle charging is somewhat out given it's not safe to take it in. Any recommendations for doing this in this environment? I can try to see if it can be replaced since it was purchased with AAA.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So I live in an apartment and trickle charging is somewhat out given it's not safe to take it in. Any recommendations for doing this in this environment? I can try to see if it can be replaced since it was purchased with AAA.
The jump starter pack should work. Charge that up to full, and unhook both battery clamps and clear them with a wire brush and tighten them back up. Or have another car try to jump you after cleaning your battery contacts + the ground cable.

·
Cruising in Montana
4,044 Posts
trickle charging is somewhat out given it's not safe to take it in.
Run an extension cord to the car. Connect the charger to the battery and hide the charger somewhere in the engine bay. Close the hood.

Next morning, remove the charger and see if it starts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If your alternator is original and turns out to be bad, get it rebuilt. Do not replace it with a junk aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The jump starter pack should work. Charge that up to full, and unhook both battery clamps and clear them with a wire brush and tighten them back up. Or have another car try to jump you after cleaning your battery contacts + the ground cable.
Run an extension cord to the car. Connect the charger to the battery and hide the charger somewhere in the engine bay. Close the hood.

Next morning, remove the charger and see if it starts.
So the battery is reading 11.8V, jump starting didn't do any good. Also AAA guy tried to use with a new battery, car wasn't doing anything.

If your alternator is original and turns out to be bad, get it rebuilt. Do not replace it with a junk aftermarket unit.
At the moment, car is doing nothing right now. When I turn the key, no noise like from the video. The dashlights are steady. What changed was a AAA coming and trying to jump start, then when didn't work tried to "hit" the starter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So when you turn the key, no grinding, no clicking? Do you hear the fuel pump kick in for a sec?
When the AAA guy tapped the starter, did anything change?

check the ground cable strap that runs to the side wall and check that + and - cables are tight at the clamp.
With a multimeter, make sure there's 12v going to the starter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So when you turn the key, no grinding, no clicking? Do you hear the fuel pump kick in for a sec?
I hear a slight click but that's it.
When the AAA guy tapped the starter, did anything change?
Yeah, it went from the spinning fans/not turning over from the video on my first post to nothing.

check the ground cable strap that runs to the side wall and check that + and - cables are tight at the clamp.
With a multimeter, make sure there's 12v going to the starter
I tested with the multimeter and the wires. Battery read 11.8V, but then with the starter and battery, it was 0V. (red on battery and black end on starter).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had to get it towed to a mechanic, and its the starter. They quoted $500 for the starter since for some reason the aftermarket ones gives trouble and just have to come back either way so need to put in a Honda part itself. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
So I live in an apartment and trickle charging is somewhat out given it's not safe to take it in. Any recommendations for doing this in this environment?
They have solar powered trickle chargers that you can leave in the car where it would get some sunlight. That's one option where you don't need a power outlet to charge the battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was the starter, replaced and costed $800 since they had to put in the Honda starter + labor and now back to working knock on wood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was the starter, replaced and costed $800 since they had to put in the Honda starter + labor and now back to working knock on wood.
Ouch, my starter went out a couple years ago, I managed to remove it myself and had it rebuilt by a local shop for like 1/10 of that. It wasn't simple by any stretch but still, the biggest pain was getting the clearance to fit a wrench over the bolt to attach the positive cable if I remember right. The "right" way to do it requires a low-profile wrench.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ouch, my starter went out a couple years ago, I managed to remove it myself and had it rebuilt by a local shop for like 1/10 of that. It wasn't simple by any stretch but still, the biggest pain was getting the clearance to fit a wrench over the bolt to attach the positive cable if I remember right. The "right" way to do it requires a low-profile wrench.
Actually that was my plan, I even had a new starter and ready to go. But since I live in an area with snow, the nuts were close to impossible to take off with the rust. This is the ones on the intake manifold, I assumed the tricky nuts at the starter would be even tough, since they aren’t even easy to reach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts