Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· 2016 EX-L
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn’t drive my 2016 accord for almost a year so the battery went dead. I charged it up, car fired right up but all the light on the dash are lite up. Steering, brake, tire pressure, lane keep, tire calibration, cruise…etc
Everything says PROBLEM on the dashboard.
the accord runs and drives great but all the lights are on, can’t figure how to reset them.
I have tried taking ground off and shorting it to the positive.
Driving around.
Calibration and resets through the radio..
I have to hold the Start/stop button for 4-5 sec to turn the car off.
I plugged in my Obd11 scan gauge and no engine codes.
battery is at 12.49v
radio reset after holding power button for 5 sec.

I need a beer!

· 2015 accord sport
218 Posts
I didn’t drive my 2016 accord for almost a year so the battery went dead. I charged it up, car fired right up but all the light on the dash are lite up. Steering, brake, tire pressure, lane keep, tire calibration, cruise…etc
Everything says PROBLEM on the dashboard.
the accord runs and drives great but all the lights are on, can’t figure how to reset them.
Driving around.
Calibration and resets through the radio..
I have to hold the Start/stop button for 4-5 sec to turn the car off.
I plugged in my Obd11 scan gauge and no engine codes.
battery is at 12.49v
radio reset after holding power button for 5 sec.

I need a beer!
Exactly what darkkart said, peace

· Registered
496 Posts
Of course this doesn't help you now but advice for the future, if you have to leave the car sit for a while I would highly recommend driving it around the block every few weeks (or if you're out of town, have a friend do it). Cars really don't like to sit for an extended period of time. Besides a dead battery, you can have dried up seals, fuel system issues/bad fuel, tire flat spots etc. Just my 2 cents!

· V6 6MT CBP
2,979 Posts
Of course this doesn't help you now but advice for the future, if you have to leave the car sit for a while I would highly recommend driving it around the block every few weeks (or if you're out of town, have a friend do it). Cars really don't like to sit for an extended period of time. Besides a dead battery, you can have dried up seals, fuel system issues/bad fuel, tire flat spots etc. Just my 2 cents!
This - My car sits for most of December through March, but I still get it out of the garage and driven to full operating temperature at least once a month. I hit it with the battery charger a couple times a month as well. Never an issue.

· 2016 EX-L
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got everything working again!
it took a few months and lots of reading and researching but all dash lights are off.
it was actually a simple fix but a long process, and some miss information (not from here)…lol
I changed my battery, then changed battery sensor. dash lights still on, so saw on YouTube something said the SAS needed to be reset in order everything else to function. My old OBD11 meter didn’t have that function so bought new upgraded version. Found I had permanent ABS fault. Clicked on the help button on new scan gauge and it said ”open or short on front left wheel sensor “. So I pulled the front wheel off and looks like a rabbit/squirrel/packrat chewed the line in half! Ordered a Dorman sensor off EBay and it was wrong, the part #was incorrect so ordered another one from a different parts vendor.
installed the sensor, reset the ABS and everything is working again after driving for less than 100 ft.

Thanks everyone for helping, it was a easy fix, probably 2 issues battery and abs sensor with similar faults.
Driveaccord is awesome!

· 2016 EX-L
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to post a picture of the accord where it was stored last winter. It was almost impossible to walk to for a couple of months because we get over 3 feet of snow on the ground during winter months. You can see the poor accord in the storage shed suffering all winter…lol
Snow Building Sky Shade Wood

· Registered
4,064 Posts
What does this mean? Did you take the black ground cable off of the battery and touch it to the red positive cable? If so this does nothing. It would be the equivalent of taking a piece of wire and touching both ends to the positive terminal on a 9V battery.

· 2016 EX-L
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does this mean? Did you take the black ground cable off of the battery and touch it to the red positive cable? If so this does nothing. It would be the equivalent of taking a piece of wire and touching both ends to the positive terminal on a 9V battery.
I know it doesn’t sound right but one person showed on a video to take both battery cables off and short them together to drain any capacitance in the computers, and that would reset everything to eliminate any codes. That’s all I was saying that it didn’t work…..

· Registered
4,064 Posts
I know it doesn’t sound right but one person showed on a video to take both battery cables off and short them together to drain any capacitance in the computers, and that would reset everything to eliminate any codes. That’s all I was saying that it didn’t work…..
Ya that's nonsense

· Registered
266 Posts
The small amount of capacitance in on-board computers doesn't store anything. Data are usually stored in non-volatile memory, so the data are retained in the event of power loss (battery removal).

· Registered
266 Posts
Non sense? It does quickly discharge the capacitors and depending on the vehicle will clear all memory from the preset radio stations, ECU, throttle body etc. It may also reset any soft codes that are stored.
Touching the cables most likely doesn't clear anything. Anything stored in memory is lost due to lack of power, not because cables are touched together. If a manufacturer wants to store information that won't get lost during a battery removal, they will put that information into non-volatile memory, a type of storage that won't lose data during a power loss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts