Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum...

Hello, I have done a little searching and could not find anything on the threads so if this topic has been discussed I am sorry.

MY 2009 Honda Accord LX-P was just in the shop getting the oil pump replaced as well as the tail light chipping the fender paint (touched up) but they could not answer my original question of why my vehicle feels weird.

Here are the symptoms. When driving the car from a complete stop and getting on it pretty good up to 4500 RPM the vehicle kind of feels like there is a small pull or lag. It really feels like someone attached a rope to the tow hook and gives it a slight jerk and then releases it. (or it could feel like a power surge) It happens about 3 to 4 times up to 60 MPH.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
607 Posts

MY 2009 Honda Accord LX-P was just in the shop getting the oil pump replaced as well as the tail light chipping the fender paint (touched up) but they could not answer my original question of why my vehicle feels weird.

Here are the symptoms. When driving the car from a complete stop and getting on it pretty good up to 4500 RPM the vehicle kind of feels like there is a small pull or lag. It really feels like someone attached a rope to the tow hook and gives it a slight jerk and then releases it. (or it could feel like a power surge) It happens about 3 to 4 times up to 60 MPH.

Any ideas?
From the paint chipping issue I assume it's a coupe. Four cylinder (LX-P). Is it automatic? could it simply be the VTEC kicking in every time you pass the 4300-4400rpm threshold every time the car changes gears? Test drive another to see if it does the same. My I4 sedan automatic sometimes has some really obvious engine lags but it is due to the combination of the gear (unwillingness to downshift for fuel economy purposes) and skimpy low rpm engine torque.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know it may not make sense to you but try turning off your AC cause Honda I4's are know to loose alot of power in acceleration while the AC is on

·
Registered
607 Posts
I know it may not make sense to you but try turning off your AC cause Honda I4's are know to loose a lot of power in acceleration while the AC is on
True, this helps for every car model with the "smaller engine" option.

·
Registered
290 Posts
its v-tec kickin in.... my car does the same.... i have a i4 auto.. if u want to drop into lower grear n ur goin under 80 on freeway drop it into 3rd... n straight v-tec power =]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is the 4 door sedan and it does not have the VTEC and is an automatic.

Any other ideas.

I am a noob, but what does I4 mean.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
it is the 4 door sedan and it does not have the VTEC and is an automatic.

Any other ideas.

I am a noob, but what does I4 mean.
All gen 8 K24 4 cylinders (L4 ) have VTEC , you will feel a surge in power in WOT around 4500-5000 rpm .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the information...guess I will have to get used to it. I had not felt something like that before.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Thank you for the information...guess I will have to get used to it. I had not felt something like that before.
Was this lag only after repairs or it was always there but maybe you didn't notice it as much ?

The only thing that comes to mind repairing oil pump on engine performance is fi cam timing was altered . Not sure if they have to remove cam timing chain to replace oil pump (oil pump has separate chain which also drivers the balance shafts which are connected to oil pump .

Edit: just checked you don't need to mess with timing chain or front cover, oil pump can be removed once oil pan and oil pump sprocket is removed, so forget above statement .

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It's all relative. My 6thGen's 2.3L/AT had a serious lag when I'd punch it from a stop. Almost got me killed a couple of times while pulling into traffic. My 2.4L, OTOH, feels like it has power at any speed. Not the kind of power that would shove me into the seat, but more than enough to get her big azz moving and cruising.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It's all relative. My 6thGen's 2.3L/AT had a serious lag when I'd punch it from a stop. Almost got me killed a couple of times while pulling into traffic. My 2.4L, OTOH, feels like it has power at any speed. Not the kind of power that would shove me into the seat, but more than enough to get her big azz moving and cruising.
right, I find no lag or hesitation in the K24 . The only issues I have is more with AT gear selection and offline caused by tight converter and lack of low rpm TQ .
If you coming to a light/stop sign and its then green and your rolling trans can go into sec there so you need to know that if you really need to accelerate . Other than that just keep revs up and the TQ is pretty good over wide rpm range (3500-6000 )

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I was using 87 Octane gas it gives me lag on partial throttle sometimes, after using 93 octane I never went back to 87. Maybe Timing for 87 is retarded so much sometimes you'll feel the lag.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Is it the Drive By Wire lag you may be referring to?

Check out the Buddy Club e-Throttle Boosters we have listed on our site.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
I know it may not make sense to you but try turning off your AC cause Honda I4's are know to loose alot of power in acceleration while the AC is on
I thought the compressor cuts off under acceleration. :dunno: I do know mine does so not an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'd like to second this as well. Now, I don't know how much difference it really makes, but sometimes I do feel I'm driving a different car with A/C on vs. off. So what I do sometimes is simply turning off the A/C when I need the max power to accelerate(such as when entering highway on ramp in heavy traffic). It could be mostly mental, but I do feel a difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The whine sound was very noticeable and just did not sound correct. I knew from this forum it was the oil pump and played dumb and said I have a sound that sounds like a whine between 2000 and 3500 RPM...they said yep thats the oil pump it will be replaced.

·
sdasd
110 Posts
i have the exact same symptom on very slow speeds though when around 1500 - 2000 rpm on low speeds mostly 40 km/h i get a pull really hard at time mine is a V6 I dont know what the cause behind that is do could any of you help?

·
Registered
40 Posts
should've got a v6, i regret it everyday but im still happy with my sexy machine!

install a k&n drop in filter. Part #33-2402!
it will help your acceleration problems. trust me worth the 50$ bucks and its lifetime warranty

as for the oil pump. that's a rare occasion lol hopefully it wont happen to my i4

1 - 20 of 22 Posts